Solex Backing Plate Template?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Solex Backing Plate Template?

Post by fj20spl311 »

Skyman wrote:
fj20spl311 wrote:I don't think there is any real advantage in ram air, but I could be wrong.
I think there is plenty of evidence that a cold air intake provides benefit. Plumbing it to the front of the car presents some challenges.
:oops: I miss-typed... :oops:

I believe there is an effect from cold air and fuel.

There has been some discussion of the "super charging" effect of directing unobstructed air into the engine as compared to using an air filter.

I am not sure removing the filter is worth the possible damage.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Skyman »

fj20spl311 wrote:
Skyman wrote:
fj20spl311 wrote:I don't think there is any real advantage in ram air, but I could be wrong.
I think there is plenty of evidence that a cold air intake provides benefit. Plumbing it to the front of the car presents some challenges.
I am not sure removing the filter is worth the possible damage.
I am running screens right now. I do want better filtration. The ITG setup is very nice and I may have to end up going that route.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

So, anybody that can help me out with a template? Will? Even if you can trace and scan your ITG backing plate, it would help me out a great deal. Thanks!

Kyle
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

As a matter of fact, I have it sitting here. I traced my backing plate onto a piece of cardboard. Can you wait till after Solvang for me to get it out? I'm up to my ears with getting my car put together, and I'm running out of time fast. I have it here, but I don't have time to get it sent out.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

SLOroadster wrote:As a matter of fact, I have it sitting here. I traced my backing plate onto a piece of cardboard. Can you wait till after Solvang for me to get it out? I'm up to my ears with getting my car put together, and I'm running out of time fast. I have it here, but I don't have time to get it sent out.

Will
Solvang should be your priority. Have fun and we'll talk after the show. I wish I could make it. I have a friend going from Salt Lake. He may be in his 66 2L 5 speed.

Kyle
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Ram air works with an FI system (read air flow meter) but not with a carb set up unless it is specifically designed to do so....your carbs will have problems with this style of airbox because you are now presurizing not only the intakes, but the float bowls as well...

A roadster has a heat problem, that is for sure, but you are better off trying to get the heat out and working on a fresh air vent not an airbox.
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

RC240z wrote:Ram air works with an FI system (read air flow meter) but not with a carb set up unless it is specifically designed to do so....your carbs will have problems with this style of airbox because you are now presurizing not only the intakes, but the float bowls as well...

A roadster has a heat problem, that is for sure, but you are better off trying to get the heat out and working on a fresh air vent not an airbox.
I appreciate the input Ron and respect your wisdom. How would this airbox pressurize the intakes? Doesn't seem much different than a filter element, but just putting the air intake at the front. Does the airbox combined with the tube create some kind of vacuum maybe? I'm not an engineer or anything, so that's why I'm talking here.

Thanks.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
tangoterje
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by tangoterje »

Hi. Just realized this might be my first time posting! I´ve posted a bit on various facebook groups already, but up until now I´ve just been lurking.

I´ve got a 1969 U20 roadster, originally a SU type imported from America to Norway (which is where it is now), but with a freshly rebuilt Solex intake (by Naotaka Ueda) and 123 ignition. Planning a complete engine rebuild with Lou Mondello a bit later, but first there´s a TON of weird flaws from previous owners I need to sort out first.

Ok, backing plate: I´m also considering a ITG setup. Did anyone here have the template as a file? Perhaps it should go in the tech section, I´m sure many would appreciate this. If not, I´d totally accept it as a pm too :)

Also jrusso07, I saw you offered a template of the heat shield. I´d love to make my own double layer heat shield, so a template would be very very helpful.

cheers,
Terje Olsen
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

This was already figured out 20 years ago:

https://www.datsunparts.com/1062 pair it with these Borla's specifically made for Solex 44 not generic slotted for multiple applications

https://www.datsunparts.com/2642

Gil
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Here is the best starting point if you want to build a multi-layer heatshield:

https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.c ... vy-duty-ss

Since stainless is a very poor heat conductor compared to steel/aluminum etc, that is an advantage immediately.

If you cover the backside/both sides with gold/silver hi-temp reflective tape it becomes even more effective.

If you also add a thin layer of "asbestos like" material and a thin layer of AL etc (w/pop rivets etc.) That is about as good as it gets.

Since the stainless is very hard to work and is already cut-to-fit, the SS part saves hours of work. Please contact us if we can help or provide additional advice. Please see the website for other Mikuni accessories!
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
mikeb
Site Supporter

Post by mikeb »

An older thread, but I ordered one from Jim and this is a really well made part. The edges are nice and crisp and it's super heavy duty at 1.42mm thick. Thanks for making this!