White smoke.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mikeyfalcone
Roadster Fanatic

Re: White smoke.

Post by mikeyfalcone »

Checked dipstick still is golden color. Just changed the oil last year and have not driven car really at all. Just quite a few start ups and runs while looking and fixing other things. Took oil cap off and shined a flashlight into the area. Same color and not frothy. So those areas seem to check out as of right now. I'll try and get a video but the next time I start it I want to be able to run it for 30 minutes and unfortunately that probably won't be till Friday.
Mike

1968 Datsun 1600
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I "feel" that you are good, and just burning off condensate in the exhaust, and fuel/stabilizer rich mixture. I am pretty confident that you are going to be fine after running it for a bit. Just my projected good wishes for you!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

I have seen engines with white smoke, not steam, after using Seafoam, it is an Fuel additive for all kinds engine ailments. So other additives may do the same, I agree with Skyman about dumping the old fuel...Bill
mikeyfalcone
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mikeyfalcone »

I used sea foam and stp fuel stabilizer. Awesome info guys.

notoptoy keep the good vibes coming!
Mike

1968 Datsun 1600
mateosau
Forum Newb
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mateosau »

I'm having a similar issue.

My project car is up to tuning stage. Starts like a charm. (has not been timed correctly yet) Chokes are on half way. If I turn them off, The engine dies.
If i keep the car idling, 1min later, smoke from around the carb area starts coming up. Manifold has new gasket. No water leaks underneath. oil is nice and golden.

Should i do a smoke test to find out if there is a leak somewhere?
I cant do a compression test because I'm scared to get it up to temp with all the smoke coming out after 1min.

1968 datsun 2000 U20
Mikuni Solex 44PHH Type Q.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Could possibly just be oil on the exhaust or paint burning off if you recently painted the exhaust. I would let it run a few minutes while monitoring the temperature gauge. Not at all unusual on a newly installed engine or one that has sat for an extended period.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

What Mike said...
Is this a new engine? Did you do the work? Any white color to the engine exhaust out the back? It needs the chokes on because it's lean most likely... exactly as designed. Did the engine run on these carbs before, or are they jetted for another car? How are you timing it?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA