Post by david premo »

1/8 X 28 is BSPT
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Plugs for a de-smogged U20 intake manifold

Post by Linda »

What if any of that epoxy, JB Weld etc gets sucked into the cylinders? Not liking that idea.
If you think the square plugs in the intake are ugly, just think how ugly the engine can look after inhaling bits of debris like that.
I’ll keep the plugs, on my 1600, they got painted by VHT hi temp paint on the exhaust manifold and intake and blend right in, well enough for me at least.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
orangedawg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by orangedawg »

Linda, maybe I mis-stated what my plan is. I'm not going to use any jb weld, epoxy, etc. I am just going to screw them into my manifold and cap them.

And thanks Dave! I am getting closer to this thing actually running decent. Seems to drive just fine around town thanks to your jetting advice for the first time in many many years! Just have an issue now when going on the highway and having no power (after a bit, it won't go over 45-50 mph or so). Maybe running too lean?
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

orangedawg wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:34 am And thanks Dave! I am getting closer to this thing actually running decent. Seems to drive just fine around town thanks to your jetting advice for the first time in many many years! Just have an issue now when going on the highway and having no power (after a bit, it won't go over 45-50 mph or so). Maybe running too lean?
Link them together, it will idle smoother.
orangedawg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by orangedawg »

Spyder, it's kind of hard to tell from your photo, but are those elbows and t's you have in the manifold to link them? And what type of hose are you using?

Thanks!
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

orangedawg wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:34 am Linda, maybe I mis-stated what my plan is. I'm not going to use any jb weld, epoxy, etc. I am just going to screw them into my manifold and cap them.

And thanks Dave! I am getting closer to this thing actually running decent. Seems to drive just fine around town thanks to your jetting advice for the first time in many many years! Just have an issue now when going on the highway and having no power (after a bit, it won't go over 45-50 mph or so). Maybe running too lean?
Check your gas filter housing for air leaks if you still use it. More than too lean... no fuel sounds like to me. Don't run it hard like that, you can go super lean and detonate even on 92 pump gas in a stock compression U20 with some hot intake air temps like in Eastern WA.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
jasmith1975
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000

Post by jasmith1975 »

keith0alan wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:12 pm Nissan manifold plugs:

large 08931-3041A
small 00931-30210

It has been some time since I have ordered any through Nissan but they are quite likely still available. They are British Standard Pipe Threads.
I'm in the middle of desmogging and was looking all over for this info. Thank you! I just ordered the two large plugs for $1/ea direct from Nissan. Unfortunately the small plug has been discontinued. Any alternatives out there? It has very tight threads and appears to be tapered.
'68 Datsun 2000
Wannabe mechanic near Buffalo, NY