Lets start with some LSD, what could go wrong?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Re: Lets start with some LSD, what could go wrong?

Post by 2mAn »

So here we are a few months later and Ive come down from my high. When reality set in and PMs started coming my way, I cleared out a good amount of the stuff I bought. What Im left with now is a single "parts" LSD unit that I plan to take apart and see whats left inside (not much from what I was told).

I sprayed down the phillips head screws that seem to be the only thing holding this thing together, but Im a little worried to take a screwdriver to it because it seems like it will easily strip. I will take some new pics and give it a shot, because now that Ive cleared out the collection and am left with what is basically a big paperweight Id like to see what I can do with it (along with your help here)

Todays question: Will it having been soaked in PB Blaster be enough to get those screws off? I will finally try it in a few hours and I will report back.
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

2mAn wrote: Todays question: Will it having been soaked in PB Blaster be enough to get those screws off? I will finally try it in a few hours and I will report back.
And the answer is, YES! It's surprisingly easy to get the 4 screws off. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect when I pulled the cover off and low and behold, there's some clutches just sitting there, I think I counted 3 and then I stopped and had to put the cover back on for fear of the guts spilling everywhere and me not knowing how to put t all back together. One step closer to something. I'm not sure what that something is yet though!

ImageLSD by 2mAn
Simon
Current Cars:
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Ideally I will clean up the surfaces and I wonder how I can confirm the internals are in good condition before putting it back together. Hopefully I will have a roadster soon to throw this into
Simon
Current Cars:
zippy67roadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by zippy67roadster »

2mAn wrote:Any suggestions on what I should do next? Ideally I will clean up the surfaces and I wonder how I can confirm the internals are in good condition before putting it back together. Hopefully I will have a roadster soon to throw this into
I had mine put together with a set of 4.62 gears at Dan's drivelines in Vegas. You have to make sure you get it assembled with the right pinion angles otherwise it will bind and wear out prematurely. These are getting harder to find and taking a chance on ruining it is not an option. They charged me about $260 to put it together and set it up.
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

zippy67roadster wrote:
2mAn wrote:Any suggestions on what I should do next? Ideally I will clean up the surfaces and I wonder how I can confirm the internals are in good condition before putting it back together. Hopefully I will have a roadster soon to throw this into
I had mine put together with a set of 4.62 gears at Dan's drivelines in Vegas. You have to make sure you get it assembled with the right pinion angles otherwise it will bind and wear out prematurely. These are getting harder to find and taking a chance on ruining it is not an option. They charged me about $260 to put it together and set it up.
Hmm, so I should probably just clean it up and leave it alone until I find either a 3.9 or 4.1 rear end and have it assembled by them...

Besides soaking this thing in WD40 is there anything else I could/ should do to get it prepped for that day?
Simon
Current Cars:
zippy67roadster

2mAn wrote:
zippy67roadster wrote:
Hmm, so I should probably just clean it up and leave it alone until I find either a 3.9 or 4.1 rear end and have it assembled by them...

Besides soaking this thing in WD40 is there anything else I could/ should do to get it prepped for that day?
Do not soak the clutch plates in anything as you will ruin them! As for waiting for a 3.9 they are very common and should be easy to find. As for the 4.11 they are harder to find. I have a 4.11 LSD in addition to the 4.62 I just had built and the 4.11 was very hard to find!!
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

zippy67roadster wrote:
2mAn wrote:
zippy67roadster wrote: I had mine put together with a set of 4.62 gears at Dan's drivelines in Vegas. You have to make sure you get it assembled with the right pinion angles otherwise it will bind and wear out prematurely. These are getting harder to find and taking a chance on ruining it is not an option. They charged me about $260 to put it together and set it up.

Do not soak the clutch plates in anything as you will ruin them! As for waiting for a 3.9 they are very common and should be easy to find. As for the 4.11 they are harder to find. I have a 4.11 LSD in addition to the 4.62 I just had built and the 4.11 was very hard to find!!
Ok, I will make sure not to do that.... Should I even bother? or should I just put it back together and tuck it away until I find a R&P
Simon
Current Cars:
zippy67roadster

I would put it back together and let the shop deal with it when you are ready.
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

soooo 20+ months later i took out the last LSD unit I have and cleaned it up to compare part numbers with some that were posted in another thread annnndddddddd.... the only number I found is nothing like the others posted. Either Im looking in the wrong place (highly likely) or its mysterious

can someone make sense of this? where should the part numbers be?
Simon
Current Cars:
Kurt
Site Supporter

Post by Kurt »

Steve Pettersen, Pettersen Motorworks just rebuilt my LSD. Some clutches and plates were ordered from Japan. If you need to send your LSD or not differential, no second thought, -send it to Steve...Chico, CA.
San Jose, CA
70 SPL311 (Pumpkin)
67 SRL311 00520 (Princess)