Head Gasket Blew

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Head Gasket Blew

Post by Mainer311 »

I'd get a new matched set of bowl needle valves, and throw a set of new banjo screens while you're in there.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

Well, I found the little spring that goes inside the needle and seat and fired her up and no changes other than no gas pouring out of the overflow. I did remove all the smog and installed inserts. Dizzy recurved a few months ago. I also cleaned the carbs while I was waiting for the head. When I try to rev the motor she just bogs down and eventually loads up and dies.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Check float level for spec.
Check float for any fuel inside if brass float, replace.
Check jet needle binding
Check for bent needle
Check nozzle height ( around.087)
Check stuck choke
Check vacuum leaks all gaskets
Damper oil check.
BTDT! :)
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

Thank you for all the suggestions. I got her running. Here's what I did. First, I did a compression test and all of the cylinders were at around 165. Next, I blew out the fuel line back to the tank and replaced the filter. After that, I replaced the condenser. Lastly, I replaced the coil. My guess is that it was the fuel filter or line because, as I described earlier, I had a rich condition at idle, and a very lean condition when I cracked the throttle. The replaced coil looked very old, and the condenser was replaced 2 years ago. Now, however, another problem exists. I took her around the block and she started smoking. Not nearly as bad as when the problem first happened, but very noticeable. Oil looks fine and coolant level hasn't changed but the color has. It looks like it went from green to brownish. I will re-torque head and report back hopefully tomorrow.
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

I guess the color isn't that bad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

Well, I'm going to put a close to this chapter because the Little Red Car is finally running fine. As it turns out, it was just condensation (quite a bit) from leftover water/antifreeze in the exhaust from when the initial problem happened. This morning, at 6:45 am Pacific, I re-torqued the head bolts, and pulled her up to the top of our driveway, and, as she warmed up the smoke started appearing again. After holding the revs high for a few minutes (my wife had been sleeping and thought she was hearing the blender in the kitchen) it started to dissipate. Took her for a 5 mile drive and so far so good. If I had to do anything over again, I would take the advice given earlier about getting head studs. Not only for the additional clamping force, but for head gasket alignment purposes and peace of mind. The r16's do not have any alignment dowels which is nuts IMO.
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

Glad to here this is closed.

You might want to re-torque your head after 500 miles.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)