car shuts off with hi beams on

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

joe fremeau

car shuts off with hi beams on

Post by joe fremeau »

Hi,Weird electrical problem,my car will shut off when the headlight switch is put on and will not restart with out a battery charge, also the directional will not works with the lights on,the battery is new.Could it be a ground problem? thanks
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Re: car shuts off with hi beams on

Post by Toptech360 »

Is your alternator functioning? Does it happen witg high beams only or low beams also?
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
joe fremeau

Post by joe fremeau »

The alternator is new and it happens on high beams
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Bad Battery is my first guess.

A bad connect at the battery is another possible reason.

Once you get her started and turn on the high beams and the engine dies have you checked the voltage at the battery?

It would have be a combination of problems to recreate your scenario.

If the alternator is charging then turning the lights on should not lover the voltage enough to kill the engine.
A fully charged battery should be able to support the ign. and the lights for quite some time even without the charging system working.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jrusso07 »

First do as Phil suggests. Read the battery terminal voltage before and after applying the high beam switch.

If not the battery, perhaps something mechanical is happening in the ignition switch or the high beam circuit is miswired and is somehow cutting the run voltage to the coil?

Also try disconnecting the headlight relay to isolate the problem to the switch side
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
rexj2003
Forum Newb

Post by rexj2003 »

Did anyone get the fix to this headlight problem?? I have the same issue on my 69 2000. I had major light problems,,mostly grounds and broken wires rotted pigtails etc. I also found it odd someone had joined the 2 headlight circuits at the fusebox,,if I unhooked the scotchlock,,,they didn't work I even swapped fuse box and had to jump the 2 circuits together to get them to work,,now all lights work well,,but now and then when running and I switch the hi beams on,,it kills engine,,,only the horn works,,and after abt 30 minutes the car will restart. and seems fine.I have 5 of the roadsters,,so I may swap relays,,ignition switch,,and volt regulator,,,,any ideas??
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

yeah a complete electrical tests are a good start
amps output test mostly , can you turn on about everything else and it runs ok ? whats it do with the lamps unplugged ?
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
rexj2003
Forum Newb

Post by rexj2003 »

I can try an amp test,,,tho I don't have the test equipment. When it is running everything is fine and sometimes you can flip the high beams on and off with no problem but when it does happen to kill the engine its as soon as you flip them on. I can try with the headlamps unplugged, tho I wont know much cause its so intermittent. the amp meter on dash shows movement as you rev it,,and neg if you turn on lights with car off.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

rexj2003 wrote:Did anyone get the fix to this headlight problem?? I have the same issue on my 69 2000. I had major light problems,,mostly grounds and broken wires rotted pigtails etc. I also found it odd someone had joined the 2 headlight circuits at the fusebox,,if I unhooked the scotchlock,,,they didn't work I even swapped fuse box and had to jump the 2 circuits together to get them to work,,now all lights work well,,but now and then when running and I switch the hi beams on,,it kills engine,,,only the horn works,,and after abt 30 minutes the car will restart. and seems fine.I have 5 of the roadsters,,so I may swap relays,,ignition switch,,and volt regulator,,,,any ideas??

I think that I would be tracing the wire that dead-ends due to the two light circuits being connected with the scotch lock at the fuse block.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

What is a scotch lock???

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by greydog »

They're the little plastic wire taps. It holds two wires, there a sort of staple in the center and a cover.
You put your two wires, one in each indentation and close the cover (other plastic half) causing the staple to bite through the insulation and make connection.
Works ok most of the time but imho should only be used in an emergency.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

rexj2003 wrote:Did anyone get the fix to this headlight problem?? I have the same issue on my 69 2000. I had major light problems,,mostly grounds and broken wires rotted pigtails etc. I also found it odd someone had joined the 2 headlight circuits at the fusebox,,if I unhooked the scotchlock,,,they didn't work I even swapped fuse box and had to jump the 2 circuits together to get them to work,,now all lights work well,,but now and then when running and I switch the hi beams on,,it kills engine,,,only the horn works,,and after abt 30 minutes the car will restart. and seems fine.I have 5 of the roadsters,,so I may swap relays,,ignition switch,,and volt regulator,,,,any ideas??
If you have a double row fuse box, the headlights get + voltage from one fuse per headlight all the time to the common terminal of the headlight and the headlight relay provides - voltage to either high or low to turn the filament on. If this gets crossed into a normal circuit, where ground is common and + voltage switched, it can get very weird. Look at the wire diagram and it will make sense.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
rexj2003
Forum Newb

Post by rexj2003 »

Thanks for all the input,,,,I ran the car yesterday for abt 15 minutes all good which is common. I did clean main ground strap from battery,,had some paint from my engine rebuild this summer. I guess I should remove that scotch lock from 2 headlamp circuits and see what I have then. Its odd that the entire harness is intact BUT someone had the 2 h/lamp circuits together AND a wire from the left h/l to somewhere under the dash at 1st I thought it went to fuse box,,but I think its wired into a main connector by firewall and pedals,,its not spliced in,,but is plugged into that connector like a factory job or a very good repair,,ive unhooked that new wire from headlamp and it doesn't work. also 1 other detail the 3 headlamp wires are hot all the time is that normal?? seems odd too. One of my best friends now living in NC is a master tech and has gone to national competions for wiring problems,,,and usually finishes 2nd or 3rd,,,but he cant diagnose over texts. backto the schematic ,,I wonder if the left h/lamp wires are not correct? flip flopped maybe?
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

You could pick up one of the Victoria British headlamp relay harnesses and just use the factory wire from the headlight relay as a trip. Disconnect what's not used until you can fix it. Crazy wiring repairs scare me, they too often result in fires/meltdowns.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit