Does anybody have pics of the inside of the Speedometer?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

111jag
Roadster Fanatic

Does anybody have pics of the inside of the Speedometer?

Post by 111jag »

I was thinking of taking the speedometer apart and was just wondering how it looks inside before dismantling it?
I have read on the forum that it is difficult to fix the odometer because of stripped gears? Is this true? Has anybody attempted this with success?
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Does anybody have pics of the inside of the Speedometer?

Post by ed B »

I don't have any pix, but I was able to fix my without taking it apart. I had to remove the speedometer from the dash, but the cable was misaligned and the holder for the cable on the back of the speedo was bent and I was able to bend it back and get the teeth on the odometer to realign and start working again. I'm thinking I just got lucky. (mine is a 69).
Last edited by ed B on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1600
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

What year is your car? I might have a 68-70 speedo. IIRC, it's almost impossible to get the bezel off without carefully cutting it. Hopefully Jon will chime in

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
111jag
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 111jag »

Oh it's a 67 1600. Was wondering what type of glue is used to hold the bezel on? Looks pretty tough.
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I believe it's crimped in place, glue would make me wonder if it was cut open already.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I've always read that unless you are a pro, don't try to open any of our gauges up and mess with them, you'll never get the trim ring on in good shape again. Then again, they said no one would walk on the moon. I think this must be harder than walking on the moon......
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
KenSmart
Roadster Fanatic

Post by KenSmart »

I can take a picture when i get home from work. Mine is 67.5 the gear was striped, from memory i moved it along the shaft a bit so it ran on a new section. That seemed to work.
Cheers Ken
caraddict

Post by caraddict »

111jag wrote:I was thinking of taking the speedometer apart and was just wondering how it looks inside before dismantling it?
I have read on the forum that it is difficult to fix the odometer because of stripped gears? Is this true? Has anybody attempted this with success?
Here ya go.....

The plastic gear in the second pic is the weak link in the 67 gauges so if that's your problem then you will need to find another gauge to steal from. The 67.5 gauges have brass gears all the way around so they tend to last a bit longer. If you have a true 67 speedo then do yourself a favor and do not pry off the bezel with a screwdriver (or anything else) as you will never get it to look good again. It's best to use a lathe to cut them off and then after re-chroming use a good quality flexible adhesive to glue them back on.

Jon