Making a oil pressure flex hose?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DoItInARoadster
Roadster Nut

Making a oil pressure flex hose?

Post by DoItInARoadster »

I am in need of a new oil pressure flex hose for my 69' 1600 and I'm not going to spend the $200+ for a new one, so have been searching this forum and many websites that sell fittings came up with a list and wanted to run it by you guys, ordering from pagasus. Also I'm missing the adapter for the distributor oil line that goes into the block so I believe that I need a 1/8 bsp male to 1/8 npt male?? I have the dis oil hard line with the ends just not the male to male adaptor.

Here is the list for the flex hose. Seems like it should work. Right around $45 shipped.

1 foot #4 stainless steel braided line "3270-04-foot"

2- 4 an female straight ends "3271-04-000"

1/8 bsp male to 4 an male "3230-2-4an" for the block side

4 an male to 3/8-24, 42 degree inverted flare female "3265-13" with retainer clip "3607-001" to keep in stock location and secure, for the hard line side, could not find a male 10-1.25mm with the retainer. Only female which I would still need to put a new "male" end on the hard line. So will go this route.

3/8-24 male brake line fitting for 3/16" hardline, will have to cut the female 10x1.25 off the hard line, replace with the 3/8-24 male fitting and re-flare the end,
Last edited by DoItInARoadster on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Re: Making a oil pressure flex hose?

Post by JT68 »

Why go to all this difficulty? $200 bucks really? It is just 1/8" copper tube with a compression ferrule. About $5 worth of parts. Guess I should make some up lol. jt
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
DoItInARoadster
Roadster Nut

yeah I could make a hard line straight to the motor but as the motor moves the hardline doesn't have any flex.

Aftermarket $129 http://www.datsunparts.com/Engine-external

Oem $188 http://www.datsunparts.com/1504

Oem from rallye $212. http://www.datsunroadster.com/PIC_PAGES ... 250-06.htm
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

Any truck shop should be able to recreate this for you. Take your used one to any good shop and they should be able to use your original fitting and rebuild this hose.
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Sorry, i thought you were referring to the distributor line itself.

Yes, I've made them out of aeroquip for many cars. Simple enough. Jt
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... t=oil+hose

I used Orme Brothers, as mentioned in the thread. Bring in your old hose for the fittings.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
DoItInARoadster
Roadster Nut

Well made 5 stops to different shops that build lines and they all don't have the ends and all 5 say they can't reuse the ends so I placed an order with pagasus, once I get the order and build the line I'll post a few pics of it
DoItInARoadster
Roadster Nut

Received the parts today and about 15 min later I have my flex line ready to go. Total is around $45, all thats left to do it cut the 10-1.25 female end off the hard line and put on a standard male brake fitting and re-flare, All in all I'm pleased with it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DoItInARoadster on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Keep the fittings. :)

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
DoItInARoadster
Roadster Nut

I'll keep the original line, all worked out so far, so close to getting this motor back to life. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vinechoy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by vinechoy »

Good Info.
I ordered oil pressure line fittings and brake line fittings from Pegasus Racing. $130 + shipping.
Thank you.
Viney
sunbeam590
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sunbeam590 »

I took mine to a hydraulic repair shop and they made me a new one using my old fittings for $40 about 3 yrs ago..
KEVIN
69 Datsun 2000, Factory Solexes.
1969 2000 Survivor
Roadster Newby

Post by 1969 2000 Survivor »

My story, upon restart after a 25 year rest in a shed my 1969 2000 was up and running after replacing a broken timing chain tension mechanism followed by a lot of the standard stuff all 311 owners have run into keeping their cars on the road. Being a new U20 owner everything I have run into has been discussed on this site so far - Great Job by everyone helping each other. That said back to the distributor oil line - mine started leaking and like all of you the price of a replacement floored me so I thought I would just make one. My big surprise was when attempting to purchase the fittings at a hydraulic hose fab shop that thought they had seen it all were scratching their heads on what thread the fittings were. The experts determined that the fittings are a British fitting not a metric as I thought. The guy showed me how he could daisy chain several fittings to make up what was needed - all said it was going to cost around $150 bucks to fab one. I left with my leaky hose to think about a less expensive fix. The quick answer is I called a 311 Expert - Brian at Sin City Datsun in Las Vegas - Brian had sold me a few parts and always has taken the time to answer all my questions. Brian sold me a used hose and at a very reasonable price with only one request that I send my leaker to him for those tough to get fittings. I got the hose quickly and installed without any leaks now I am driving again. Always remember new is great but not always affordable. There are a lot of great projects sitting in garages waiting for their owners to buy that new expensive part - The moral to my story is time is wasting guys continue to share your knowledge these are fantastic and need to be enjoyed. Used is better than down & guys like Brian at Sin City are wiling to help they love these cars too and will take the time to help you with more than just parts. Thanks for all the help and this forum for sharing knowledge.