5-Speed problem

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Poobah
Roadster Fanatic

5-Speed problem

Post by Poobah »

Hi All,

I took the Pile'O'Parts on it Maiden Voyage today. Well, its first trip longer than a block anyway. Things went well, except, it won't stay in 4th or 5th. It goes in, but pops right out. Any ideas before I pull the tranny back out?

Thanks for the help,

Steve
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Re: 5-Speed problem

Post by keith0alan »

Couple of ideas. The spring loaded balls that go into the detents on the shift rods may be missing or gummed up. If you are lucky they will work free. The clutch dogs in the trans may be worn out. Less likely and harder to fix. Does it click into the detents? One cause for this type of problem is resting your hand on the shift lever when you drive.
Poobah
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Poobah »

Thanks Keith,

I will look at that.

Steve
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

What 5 spd do you have, the servo-syncro one with steel syncros or the Warner type with brass syncros? One smoothly engages the gears, the other pops into and out of gear (the warner type). I've had issues with 1st gear on a warner box not staying in gear. I havne't pulled it apart to see what it needs (my guess is everything, including a 5th gear.)

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Poobah
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Poobah »

It is the synchro type. I have not had a chance to get it on the lift to look at the shift lock balls, but it seems that that might be the problem.

Steve