Post by Daryl Smith »

A good write up by David Vizard on head porting on Hot Rod Network:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/061 ... d-porting/

Few points worth noting when you read:
Piston to head clearance (quench)
Port finish
Valve lift
Port size/Velocity

A lot has changed since our engines were built, some, like the intake port size, imo, works in our favour for a stroker engine. Stock cam lift, not so much.
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: R16 Modification Questions

Post by Daryl Smith »

Have had a couple of 'hiccups' with the stroker build....

1) the camshaft locating plate was too thick requiring a few thousandths to be machined off...? Had the same happen when I built the 1800cc engine.

2) The chain tensioner 'housing' portion was too thin, moving the rubbing block so close to the engine block that it would not line up with the chain properly. I happened to have a few extra 'housing' pieces here, which I took to the machine shop. We found that with 5 different 'housings', we had 4 different thicknesses...and 2 different diameter shafts on the rubbing blocks (SAE & Metric?). One of the used ones actually worked with the new rubbing block.... :x

3) Timing Chain Cover - SAE and Metric engines are different, with the Metric engine having larger bolts.....

So...be careful about which parts you try to interchange between the SAE and Metric engines...... :roll:
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Hi Daryl, are we going to see you at Shedd this year? Not sure if this is just a coincident but I recently had a similar issue of the cam backing or locking plate being to thick. I had more than one to pick from and every one I checked measured the same thickness too. It ended up being the construction of the hub on the backside of the cam sprocket. After measuring with mics it was obvious it was not going to work and would pinch the backing plate between the sprocket and cam, so I just chucked the sprocket in the lathe and removed the need amount on the length of the larger hub. It gave me some endplay too.
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

Hey Bill,
I would like to say yes, BUT, I won't be able to get away from work this year for the extra travel day...would love to do a nice long run with the new engine (just picked it up today). If I can manage to sneak away for an extra day I will. It's always on my calendar so next year if I don't make it....