Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

beebo
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

5x114.3 front hub swap

Post by beebo »

Hi all! I'm currently in the middle of a 1970-2000 build. The car is getting a narrowed ford 8.8 in the rear which has a 5x4.5(114.3) lug pattern. I know I could easily get 4 lug axles for it, but meh :D So to match up front, I'm doing a 5 lug conversion up front so i can smack some z32 rotors and calipers on there as well. I feel like I've made enough progress on it that it's worth its own thread.

My thinking was that I could either find a car with 5-lug hubs with the same bearing inner diameters to where it would slip right on to the Roadsters spindle with no or very minor modifications to the spindle. Or, I could find a hub with the same bearing outer diameters and just use the roadster bearings. After hours and hours of researching hubs, bearing diameters, bearing widths and so on, I came up with zero solutions that didn't require any machine work. The closest thing I found was some z31(first generation 300zx) hubs. The bearing outer diameters were within like 2mm of each other.

Apparently there are 3 different types of Z31 hubs. The '84s and '85s had a 4x114.3 pattern, The 86-89 N/A cars had 5x114.3 pattern with a 'bolt-on' brake rotor, and finally the 87-89 turbo cars had the 5x114.3 pattern with a 'slip-on' brake rotor. When Nissan went to the Z32, they ditched the tapered bearings and went to a roller bearing. The 87-89 turbo front hubs are very desirable, as they are a very simple swap to the s30 and s130 chassis allowing a z32 brake upgrade. Therefore, they are hard to find... therefore they are expensive. After many unsuccessful junkyard trips, I found a guy on craigslist in California who was parting out an 87 turbo. A quick phone call and $200 bucks had these hubs removed, cleaned, packed, and shipped...SCORE!

I banged the z31's bearings and seals out and tossed 'em. There was a machinist in the area that has done some work for me in the past, so I took the hubs and the outer Roadster bearing races to him, and had him bore the hubs out to fit the bearings. The 300zx's bearing seal fits over the outside of the hub, so this surface is machined concentric to the bearings (first photo below). He used this surface to mount it in the lathe. After boring the outer bearing diameter, he machined a little lip on the outside of the hub (second photo below) in order to mount that surface in the lathe in to bore the inner bearing diameter. Smart 8) This cost me $80 but i gave him $100 because i was so freaking happy he did such a good job.

Immediately after getting back, I knocked put the wheel bearings in. Heat the hubs with a propane torch, bearings in the freezer... they tapped right in. Before going down this road, I really studied pictures of both the z31 and roadster spindles, took measurements of the z31 hub and roadster spindle, and was really hoping this would work. When I fit the hub on the spindle, there was about 3/16" (.1875") of play.The spindle was too long, so when tightening the spindle nut, the outer wheel bearing would hit the start of the spindle taper before allowing the bearings to seat properly.

My 3 options were to either space the inner bearing, space the outer bearing, or machine the spindle (hell no). If I spaced the inner bearing, it would push the hub outwards. This seemed like it might push it out too far, and not allow the wheel seal to properly contact the shoulder of the spindle, so I decided to space out the outer bearing. I wanted a quick fix, so instead of fabricating a spacer, I checked out what McMaster-Carr had for an oddball size washer. McMaster>Washers>Sort outer diameter:1.850" Boom, done! McMaster part number 91074A140. This is a Nordlock NL30 washer for 1-1/8"(30mm) bolts. $20 bucks shipped for 2 sets. These things are a 2 part lock washer, the outer diameter is within 0.002" of the roadster wheel bearing, the inner diameter clears the roadster spindle, and when put together, had a thickness of .223 (a tad bit more than I needed, but not too much). I superglued the set together so they wouldn't rotate around and change thickness when hammering in the bearing, and fit them into the hub. One set just barely dropped in, but the hub was still HOT from hammering out the bearing. The other hub had been sitting, and was just warm, so it needed to be heated up again to get the washers and bearing back in.

I gave the hubs a couple coats of VHT 'cast iron' color spray paint, and smacked in the wheel seals $25. Because the wheel seals on the stock roadster hub are pressed into the same part as the wheel bearing, the stock roadster press in to the modified Z31 hub. Okay! Moment of truth!.....They FIT! The spindle nut can now be tightened, seating the bearings properly, the wheel seal sits right where it should on the shoulder of the spindle, and the existing cotter pin hole can be used for the castle nut. I lost them, but the dust caps can pop into the hub as well.

There it is, 5-lug hubs on a Roadster spindle. In summation, $200 for hubs from an 87-89 300zx turbo, $100 for machine work, $20 for washers, $25 for seals. I'm sure this can all be had/done for about $150 less, but I'm in it $345.

I picked up a set of 30mm aluminum Z32 calipers for $200 and drilled slotted rotors for $100. I will soon start designing the bracket to mount the z32 calipers to the roadster spindle, and estimate the fabrication to be about $100 for waterjet services. Including some nice brake lines and pads, I'm looking at about $900 for the 5-lug swap, with aluminum 4-piston brakes. I will keep y'all updated on how the brakes turn out, but feel free to check out my progress on the entire build over in the members ride section.

Cheers,
Wade
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: 5x114.3 front hub swap

Post by fj20spl311 »

Very nice work.
It might be possible to use the N/A Hub.
It should have a machined lip like the roadster to mount the rotor on the back side to make machining easier.
You could use the N/A Rotor, they are 22 mm vented and would be used with the N/A Calipers.
The rotor is a little smaller than the roadster at 10.8 vs 11, but that will make very little difference in braking torque. They are Cheap, at Rock Auto for less than $20, drilled and slotted for ~$60
It would be necessary to make your own brackets for the calipers....either by modifying the Roadster bracket or making a completely new bracket.
Does anyone make an aluminum hub for the "Z"?
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

"Very nice work.
It might be possible to use the N/A Hub."
Thank you! It would absolutely be possible to use the N/A hubs.The spindles of the N/A and turbo models are the same, so the bearings, and related dimensions of the hub would be the same. Therefore, the machining needed to fit them to the roadster would be the same. The N/A hubs, however, will not allow the z32 rotors to be used which is what I was set on using, since I think sliding 2 piston calipers are kinda ugly. There is no doubt the N/A hubs and rotors could be used with the same amount of work above, but the thickness of the caliper mounting plate would be slightly thinner. I found this write up to swap z32 4-piston brakes an to a z31, which leads me to believe that.click here
It required z31 turbo hubs and spacers for the z32 calipers.

"You could use the N/A Rotor, they are 22 mm vented and would be used with the N/A Calipers.
The rotor is a little smaller than the roadster at 10.8 vs 11, but that will make very little difference in braking torque. They are Cheap, at Rock Auto for less than $20, drilled and slotted for ~$60"
-This would provide more than sufficient braking for the roadster, but this build favors excess and cool over budget, so I went the route of 4 pistons.

"Does anyone make an aluminum hub for the "Z"?"
I found a few 5-lug aluminum hubs for the 240z-280z, however, most accepted the bolt on rotors (z31na) and not the slip on rotors (z31t/z32). most of them were copies of the OEM 300zx hubs, just machined out of aluminum and cost at least twice as much as an OEM hub, These would require the same machining as a standard 300zx hub. There are these that look very familiar to the stock turbo hubs. click here

I was so dead set on using the Z32 brakes that I didn't even consider using the N/A hubs! This is a perfect alternative for those on a budget. The Z31 N/A hubs, calipers, and rotors could be had for less than $100 if found at the right junk yard. Machining could be $50-$100 to bore the hubs out, and $100 bucks or so for the caliper adapters. This could be a potential >$250 5-lug/z31 brake conversion for our roadsters! If someone were to send me over the parts (Z31 N/A 5-lugs hubs, rotors, and calipers and roadster wheel bearings). I'd be happy to mock them up and design a bracket to mount the calipers in SolidWorks, and have it machined for whoever loans the parts.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I'll be looking for some hubs...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I did not want to imply you chose poorly, sorry if you took it that way.

I agree that the Z32 caliper is worth the additional.
The N/A 26 mm caliper could be used with the rear mounting rotors using spacers or having the caliper narrowed.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

fj20spl311 wrote:I did not want to imply you chose poorly, sorry if you took it that way.
It wasn't taken that way at all :) I just had never thought of using the NA hubs and brakes. Definitely more bang for the buck for sure!