BRE Style Exhaust - Possible?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: BRE Style Exhaust - Possible?

Post by Gregs672000 »

SLOroadster wrote:Are we talking Tim Arnett's Zoadster? If so, yes its mostly gone. For the most part, its a giant metal praying Mantis in his backyard now. Still, if one were to be very creative, it could be rebuilt, minus the body.

Will
Wow, how did it go from that stunning ride to a heap? Yes, the engine looks like it's launching out of the car, but what a launch!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

So bouncing back to the original topic...

I mocked it up in 2" SS and am working out the mounting. You won't really see much of the pipes under the car (painted in flat black). Just two big pipes coming out - kinda cool/period correct.

Right now the pipe exit angle is adjustable and that may be a nice feature to incorporate so you can kick them up or just exit straight out. Will try to have it on a car and some photos by the end of the week!

I think it will look better than any other aftermarket exhaust tip I've seen used on a roadster.

Not concerned about flow with 2" formed bends/no crimps..

jt
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Gregs672000 wrote:
SLOroadster wrote:Are we talking Tim Arnett's Zoadster? If so, yes its mostly gone. For the most part, its a giant metal praying Mantis in his backyard now. Still, if one were to be very creative, it could be rebuilt, minus the body.

Will
Wow, how did it go from that stunning ride to a heap? Yes, the engine looks like it's launching out of the car, but what a launch!
I can't say it was ever stunning. The hood didn't fit well because the valve cover extended above it, the inner fenders were gone. It had rust, ect. He started restoring it, and the deeper he got into it the more he felt it was a bad idea. He put the shell up for sale a few times but had no takers. He decided to call it gone and took the body to the recycler. It was there the weight of the body came up WAY light... He couldn't prove it, but it was likely one of the lightweights. :( He does still have all the vin#s and plates so it could be recreated if further evidence was found that it was an important car.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

Post by DatsunRoadster2000 »

JT68 wrote:So bouncing back to the original topic...

I mocked it up in 2" SS and am working out the mounting. You won't really see much of the pipes under the car (painted in flat black). Just two big pipes coming out - kinda cool/period correct.

Right now the pipe exit angle is adjustable and that may be a nice feature to incorporate so you can kick them up or just exit straight out. Will try to have it on a car and some photos by the end of the week!

I think it will look better than any other aftermarket exhaust tip I've seen used on a roadster.

Not concerned about flow with 2" formed bends/no crimps..

jt

This is great news, I cant wait to see it! Thanks again for your work on this project
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL

If you can park it, and not turn around to look at it when you walk away...
...you haven't bought the right car
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

I have to admit, when I saw the first few posts, I was thinking no, that won't look so swift on a roadster. Like I said, I can't stand american car muffler shop exhaust tips on an SRL...but this definitely looks sharp.

These are just unpolished SS, but blurr you eyes a little and imagine bright polished SS!!
The black cross pipe is almost invisible against a black fuel tank background. One thing I learned on the prototype, if we center the pipes a few inches closer together, I believe we can leave the backup lights unaffected. Working out the details on an excellent bolt-on mounting system - no welding at all.

PM if you want one custom built with polished stainless. Formed 2" pipe - no muffler shop bends, resonator included. Can include an adapter down to factory pipe if required. cool look! jt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LT/JT
DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

JT68 wrote:I have to admit, when I saw the first few posts, I was thinking no, that won't look so swift on a roadster. Like I said, I can't stand american car muffler shop exhaust tips on an SRL...but this definitely looks sharp.

These are just unpolished SS, but blurr you eyes a little and imagine bright polished SS!!
The black cross pipe is almost invisible against a black fuel tank background. One thing I learned on the prototype, if we center the pipes a few inches closer together, I believe we can leave the backup lights unaffected. Working out the details on an excellent bolt-on mounting system - no welding at all.

PM if you want one custom built with polished stainless. Formed 2" pipe - no muffler shop bends, resonator included. Can include an adapter down to factory pipe if required. cool look! jt
Amazing! This look great, you cant see the cross pipe at all!

Two picture requests before I commit to this, any chance of an image from 15-20 feet out, then one with the pipes off the car (just so i can see what the construction looks like)?

Couple of other questions:
I'm thinking closer together might fit the look I am going for, if I did some playing around with distances and gave you a measurement of how far i'd want them apart, would that be an issue?

I'd like to still run the exhaust in the stock location through the cross member, would the adapter right behind where the pipe exits the cross member?

I'd probably like to see the pipe sit an inch or two below the bumper, any foreseeable issues you see with that?
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL

JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Sure. will do. Any spacing is ok, although I'll standardize that at some point. Suggest you stay less than the width of the license plate. A bit lower than the bumper would be normal, I just pulled it up higher with temporary mounts.

This rear assembly would replace the rear late style resonator/booster and use the same mounts, so you would still need the pipe that goes over the axle. That is not a problem, I have those in SS or AL steel as well.

This one is just tacked together, but as for quality, you can check some of the posts on my other exhaust systems. If you were not happy with the quality for any reason, you could return it, but I don't expect that to happen. I'll send a couple more photos and you can see the form. Also the tips would be 316 SS, so that isn't shown yet. thx, jt
LT/JT
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

I will go ahead and turn myself in to the DPD for a GCV. (Gas Cap Violation) and throw myself at the mercy of the court _ Your honor, I removed it and put it in it's blue velvet baggie to keep it out of the weather (well the weather in-the-garage).....Just realized how funny that sounds: I removed the gas cap to keep it out of the weather LOL...

Enjoy the pics..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LT/JT
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I wasn't sure how it would look, but in the end it does look pretty good!
I too would like to see it a little lowered from the bumper.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

notoptoy wrote:I wasn't sure how it would look, but in the end it does look pretty good!
I too would like to see it a little lowered from the bumper.
Yep..gonna mount it at the normal pipe exit height. Not bad//

Jeff, tell me the pipe spacing you want, and I'll build one and post some photos of the final part. If you don't want it, I'll just put it on the gray '68 or post it up for sale. jt
LT/JT
DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

JT, looks even better from far away. I'm out of town till tomorrow but when I get back I will do some tinkering and get you the measurements. Stay tuned!
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL

Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

I dig it, and the routing just makes practical sense.
But it is not BRE/Nissan "style" like the S30. It kind of looks like a VW bug exit style
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Alvin wrote:I dig it, and the routing just makes practical sense.
It kind of looks like a VW bug exit style
Funny!! for 1500's I'll use VW Bug tips! LMAO!
LT/JT
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

But it is not BRE/Nissan "style" like the S30. It kind of looks like a VW bug exit style
A little small for a Bug exhaust, but you might be on to something Alvin. Anybody try to plant a Porsche engine in the trunk :D
Good job JT, if you get a chance could you post a picture that shows how all the routing goes.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

theunz wrote:
A little small for a Bug exhaust, but you might be on to something Alvin. Anybody try to plant a Porsche engine in the trunk :D
Good job JT, if you get a chance could you post a picture that shows how all the routing goes.
Not knocking it, obviously the diameter is good, just looks this way to me since the tails are so close together like a VW/911 etc. It's badass either way and I'm surprised how quick Jim turned this around!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread