Battery cable

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

acuboy
Roadster Fanatic

Battery cable

Post by acuboy »

Hi Everyone

Is it possible for a battery cable to go bad? I've been trying to figure out a no-start issue I'm having. The car won't start and acts like there's no power. If I jiggle then negative battery cable I can sometimes get it to turn over. The battery is less than 6 months old and seems to be holding charge. The terminals are clean and firmly attached. The connection from the negative cable seems well grounded and is not corroded. So, is it possible for the battery cable itself to go bad? Doesn't seem like something that would fail.

thanks
duncan
2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel converted to run on vegetable oil
1967.5 Datsun 1600
datsunfreak
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Battery cable

Post by datsunfreak »

acuboy wrote:Is it possible for a battery cable to go bad? I've been trying to figure out a no-start issue I'm having. The car won't start and acts like there's no power. If I jiggle then negative battery cable I can sometimes get it to turn over. The battery is less than 6 months old and seems to be holding charge. The terminals are clean and firmly attached. The connection from the negative cable seems well grounded and is not corroded. So, is it possible for the battery cable itself to go bad?
Only through corrosion would it go bad. If you are convinced it has no corrosion inside it, seems like a bad cell in the battery is your only other option?

Replaced the starter yet? Could be a bad connection in there?
1968 SRL311 project under way...
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Haha - I had a 240Z way back when that similarly drove me nuts. It would act like the battery was dead, I'd wiggle the battery cables and bingo!

99% sure your problem, like mine, was/is the starter.
Last edited by bakerjf on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Had this problem resently. I used a pice of wood and hammer to whack the starter and now she starts every time:)
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
TOYSUN
Site Supporter

Post by TOYSUN »

Hi duncan,

if you have checked everything and everything was ok ....
I think, it's the magnetic switch from the starter.

I do not know the difference in price (magnetic switch to starter),
but some times its better to replace the complete starter.

Let me know if your problem than away.

Mario
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

I would cut open the cable at the terminal end to look for corrosion and/or get a new neg cable before I would buy a new starter. Your problem might be solved. Detachable terminal cables seem to get more corrosion in my experience, just need to check and clean.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

As already pointed out it sounds like the starter, but also as pointed out cables and connectors are way cheaper than starters. I have an old diesel farm tractor that was cranking slowly, and I had checked/cleaned all of the connections. Then while cranking I noticed that the cable at the solenoid was hot. Previous inspection had revealed a nice clean terminal with no corrosion. Upon closer inspection I saw that the terminal actually had a gray coating that was not the shiny tin that it should have been. I cleaned it and tried again and the motor spun as it should. It is not clean unless shiny clean.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
steve_car
Roadster Fanatic

Post by steve_car »

Before replacing anything, measure voltage at the starter while starting it. That will tell you if it is your starter or a power problem.
You didn't say anything about hearing your solenoid clicking, so if it is not there are other things it could be.
Headlights work ok?
Steve
65 1500
62 L320
acuboy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by acuboy »

Thanks for the replies. I don't have anyone around to read the voltmeter at the starter while I crank. But, the headlights will come on intermittently when I jiggle the negative cable and the starter only has about 5000 miles on it. That's why I'm eyeing this negative cable suspiciously. I'll head down to the auto parts store and get a new one and start there. Pretty straight forward on swapping the cable, right? Nothing I need to know?

thanks!
1967.5 Datsun 1600
acuboy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by acuboy »

Is there an advantage to going with a thicker grounding cable? Like a 2 gauge?
1967.5 Datsun 1600
Datsun.David
Site Supporter

Post by Datsun.David »

Not complicated. Measure the length carefully and if you can get one with a crimped end it will offer a superior ground over one of the bolt on clamps. If your current clamp bolts on to the lead, take it apart and give it a thorough scrub/sand. I have had corrosion built up inside the clamp virtually invisibly. Larger gauge won't hurt anything but availability may be your determining factor on length...
67.5 SRL311 #00050 - Silver - SU
67.5 SRL311 #00544 - Sora Blue SU
68 Roadster Race Car
69 SRL311
69 SRL311
72 PL510
74 260Z - Silver
steve_car
Roadster Fanatic

Post by steve_car »

acuboy wrote:Thanks for the replies. I don't have anyone around to read the voltmeter at the starter while I crank. But, the headlights will come on intermittently when I jiggle the negative cable and the starter only has about 5000 miles on it. That's why I'm eyeing this negative cable suspiciously. I'll head down to the auto parts store and get a new one and start there. Pretty straight forward on swapping the cable, right? Nothing I need to know?

thanks!
The above information would have been helpful to have in your initial post.
I wouldn't just swap out the cable without performing some tests. Maybe it just needs to be cleaned good.
Turn your headlights on and when they are not working; measure the voltage on your battery post, battery clamp, ground lug, engine and chassis ground and see where you are dropping the voltage.
Steve
65 1500
62 L320
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Why not just buy a new one? They're cheap and it'll eliminate that as the possibility of your starting troubles for years.
steve_car
Roadster Fanatic

Post by steve_car »

Natenate4s wrote:Why not just buy a new one? They're cheap and it'll eliminate that as the possibility of your starting troubles for years.
Sure, you can just replace what may be a perfectly good cable if you don't want to figure out what happened or why and correct it.
While you are at it, there are a lot of other parts you could just replace because they are cheap.
Steve
65 1500
62 L320
acuboy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by acuboy »

Thanks for all the input! Turned out to be the battery cable. Weird. There was no obvious corrosion or cracks in the plastic sheath. Swapped out the cable and it fired right up. Once again, thank you to this community for helping me think this through!

take care
duncan
1967.5 Datsun 1600