What additive (fuel, oil, coolant, etc) do you swear by?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: What additive (fuel, oil, coolant, etc) do you swear by?

Post by msampsel »

Have Swepco in my "big" 311 i.e. 911 and like it. And wetter from redline or purple ice from royal purple in the radiator.
And I'm adding "liquid grease" for the steering box at risk as I have not driven it yet :)
Edit:
Use Sta-bil fuel stabilizer too
Last edited by msampsel on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

I have recently installed Swepco 201 Gear Oil in a friends 5 speed and it did improve the 1st and 4th gear downshift. His rebuilt 5 speed has the improved 1st gear anchor blocks in it and was known to have downshifting issues from day one from the factory, with the Swepco 201 it now shifts better than it has since installing the 5 speed in his car. On the brighter side, I'm hoping it also grows hair....LOL...I do recommend Swepco 201 if you have any Servo 5 speed shifting issues...Bill
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jrusso07 »

JT68 wrote:
GeoffM wrote:Woodford Reserve
LOL! Lagavulin
+1 on the Lagavulin
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Post by jrusso07 »

krispoulin wrote:
jrusso07 wrote:I use Mavel Mystery oil in the fuel. It counteracts the effects of ethanol in fuel and keeps my carbs really clean. I never have to spray clean the carbs. I don't think it adds performance or necessarily extends life...but it reduces some of the annual maintenance.

I used to clean carbs every fall. Now, I just inspect them for buildup...

How much Mystery Oil per full tank of gas?
~2 oz per 10 gallons. I don't measure - just eye ball it depending how much gas I am buying.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Swepco in the transmission, water wetter in the cooling system. The car shifts great, and never runs hot. I run a little Marvel Mystery oil in the engine and fuel from time to time. The stuff does work.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

To those that use water wetter, are you running 50/50 or just plain water with water wetter in the cooling system? I ask because ive read it doesnt work when added to antifreeze?
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

Toptech360 wrote:To those that use water wetter, are you running 50/50 or just plain water with water wetter in the cooling system? I ask because ive read it doesnt work when added to antifreeze?
I just add it to 50/50 anti. Purple ice shows the following graphs for thermal. http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/prod ... oCmzHw_wcB
Why am I partial to royal purple ...? :roll:
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Post by jrusso07 »

I also use marvel mystery oil in the oil about a hundred miles before an oil change. Does a good job removing deposits in the oil system.

I use it in all my internal combustion engined machines before changing their oil...
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

You can't use water wetter in a cold (freezing in winter) climate. You get no anti-freeze protection and you risk ruining your block and radiator.
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

tjp wrote:You can't use water wetter in a cold (freezing in winter) climate. You get no anti-freeze protection and you risk ruining your block and radiator.
That was my concern. It supposedly doesn't work with antifreeze and even in summer imo running pure water is not the best idea. Especially with iron block and head. Water wetter is supposed to help with corrosion but i still prefer using a 50/50 or even a 60/40 mix of coolant and water. I personally use toyota red coolant but that is because its available to me easily and i know its very very good stuff!

My cooling system is in good working condition but this engine just plain runs hot compared to the modern engines im used to.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

bakerjf wrote:I tried Redline, but did not "cut it" with anything else, and was thoroughly disappointed. I tried Swepco with great results and swear by it now.
+1 on Swepco, trans runs cooler per the shifter (though I miss the hand heating aspect of that on cold days!).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
NWTom
Roadster Nut

Post by NWTom »

I used "Motor Honey" in the last Alfa Romeo Spider that I had. It still leaked oil like the Exxon Valdez, but it fixed the excessive use through the valve guides! LOL.....Viva Italia!
Last edited by NWTom on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guyatou
Roadster Fanatic

Post by guyatou »

+1 for Sta-bil. I use it in my motorcycle, lawn mower, weed eater, etc. It's especially good if you don't drive the car regularly. My dad's Porsche 914 was having idle issues, and was dying randomly. A dose of Sta-bil seems to have fixed it, it's been perfect since I did that in the last gas tank. Not entirely sure why it worked though.
Michael D.
Oklahoma City
1968 SRL-311
1930 Model A Ford
insta: @downesphoto
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

Toptech360 wrote:
tjp wrote:You can't use water wetter in a cold (freezing in winter) climate. You get no anti-freeze protection and you risk ruining your block and radiator.
That was my concern. It supposedly doesn't work with antifreeze and even in summer imo running pure water is not the best idea. Especially with iron block and head. Water wetter is supposed to help with corrosion but i still prefer using a 50/50 or even a 60/40 mix of coolant and water. I personally use toyota red coolant but that is because its available to me easily and i know its very very good stuff!

My cooling system is in good working condition but this engine just plain runs hot compared to the modern engines im used to.

According to royal purple web site you get about 2-3% temp reduction when adding purple ice to 50/50 mix so it works somewhat.
It makes 50/50 (when added) equal (well close) to straight H2O. No idea what it does to the toyota/lexus red anti freeze.

Get a 10% reduction when adding to straight H2O though http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/prod ... oCmzHw_wcB
Not sure about wetter (I.E. Redline product), assuming similar characteristics
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Has anyone tried this stuff? It was on sale so I figured wth I'm going to give it a shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.