Major carb overflow

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Re: Major carb overflow

Post by Natenate4s »

Just a little update. I adjusted the float levels. I think I went the wrong direction last time. I lubricated the needle valves. It's not overflowing! Woohoo! I have some new floats coming, and I'm going to buy some new needle valves then put it all in.
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

Natenate4s wrote:Just a little update. I adjusted the float levels. I think I went the wrong direction last time. I lubricated the needle valves. It's not overflowing! Woohoo! I have some new floats coming, and I'm going to buy some new needle valves then put it all in.
Glad to find out progress is happening ... :smt041
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

I replaced the needle valves and one float. Still waiting for the other float to arrive. Well I thought it stopped overflowing, then it just started doing it again. I've re routed my fuel line as you can see in the pic. to stop any vapor locking since I was fuel starved before this overflow issue. Can this be the problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Not sure if the little gaskets get messed up after replacing the fuel valves. Maybe too the valve needs to be sprayed even though it is new.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

Did you replace the float bowl gaskets? Whose float valves did you use? Stock fuel pump? The SU carbs want about 3 PSI fuel pressure. If you are running 6 they will tend to not seal.
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

I have replaced the float bowl gaskets. Twice now. Last week gas was shooting out from one of the gaskets even though the screws were tight. I didn't spray the new needle valves. But they were moving nice and easy when I put them in. I'm using parts I bought from a carb kit I bought on eBay. I bought the floats on eBay as well. Btw I just got the other float in the mail! Lol. At least that's a little uplifting.
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Here's the electric fuel pump that was installed and the floats I'm using. The fuel pump is 2-3.5 psi according to the website.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Natenate4s on Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Good float, what PSI is that pump rated at?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Here's the carb kit I bought.
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

Natenate4s wrote:I replaced the needle valves and one float. Still waiting for the other float to arrive. Well I thought it stopped overflowing, then it just started doing it again. I've re routed my fuel line as you can see in the pic. to stop any vapor locking since I was fuel starved before this overflow issue. Can this be the problem?
I assume the new float and needle carb is the one which started doing it again.
One carb still has the old floats .... right? Are you just letting the electric pump run
without the car running and then it overflows?
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

Those are the good floats. If you are loosing gas around the float bowl lid rather than the overflow then there is a problem with the gasket or lid. Take the lid off and make sure it is flat. If it has been bent from over tightening or other abuse it will be hard to seal. Check your new float valves with the old ones. Some aftermarket ones sit low. If you bend the tab enough to get the float level right then the tab is pushing to the side on the float valve. Where the tab touches the valve should be parallel with the face of the lid. If it sits low then add a few extra washers under the valve when you install it.
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Both have the new floats now. The one time the gas flowed out the side was when I just had the pump running and not the engine. All other times it didn't leak when I just had the pump on. It hasn't leaked from there since. I switched the gasket, but the old gasket was practically brand new. I say less than 50 starts. All the other times it's been overflowing through the overflow. I didn't think about adding an extra washer so I'll try that. The inconsistency is strange to me. Just can't figure out why it overflows sometimes, and not at other times.
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

I also put in some carb cleaner and lead substitute today. Btw the old needle valve were exactly the same as new new ones I put in.
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

Fuel filter? When you take the cover off and lift the float out is there crud in the bottom of the float bowl? A bit of dirt flowing with the gas will stick the float open until it flushes through.
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Yeah there has been crud at the bottom of the float bowls. It's a new fuel filter.