Coil wiring on a 1970 2000

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

marcus550
Site Supporter

Coil wiring on a 1970 2000

Post by marcus550 »

I've been going over the wiring diagrams and none are matching my 1970 2000 for several areas, including the coil. I recently installed an electronic distributor so jumped out the resistor and removed the condenser. A few days later the black wire inside the alternator broke, causing high charge voltage which took a day to track down. In doing so, I noticed my car is unique for some reason. The power wire coming from the alternator is White (not White/Red). I have no White/Red wire on the ignition switch. And I have no Black/White/Red wire on the coil +, just the Black/White and a new wire going to the distributor.

My main question is what should be on the Coil +? All I have is the Black/White wire which goes to the Alternator and External Regulator. All wiring diagrams show another wire here, BW/R, which I haven't seen anywhere on my car. The resistor is still in the car but I have 'jumped' it out by moving one wire to share a terminal with the other. These are White/Yellow and White/Black, neither of which show up on the wiring diagrams! They go through the firewall in to the car. I'm thinking one of these should go to the coil but can't confirm against the wiring diagram at all.

Anyone with an electronic distributor or a stock 1970 2000 have a picture of their coil wiring?

Also, the wiring diagrams all show 1968 or 1969. I haven't found a 1970 specific diagram, so I'm wondering if it changed for 1970 or has my 45 year old Datsun been hacked together? The wiring looks period but the car has been cosmetically restored, so it likely came out at some point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 Datsun Roadster 2000
1970 Fiat 500L
1955 Beck 550 Spyder
1991 Nissan Figaro
2011 Suzuki Equator Pickup
marcus550
Site Supporter

Re: Coil wiring on a 1970 2000

Post by marcus550 »

Well, I just answered part of my question by visiting the Wiki. There is a 'custom' color schematic in there showing a White/Yellow on the coil. I still don't know where the White wire on my resistor comes from, or where it should ultimately go.

The white wire from the regulator goes to the alternator on all other diagrams but this one, which shows it going right to the battery side of the starter solenoid. This is where I found it, and then moved it to the alternator. Seems to be no difference so far.
1970 Datsun Roadster 2000
1970 Fiat 500L
1955 Beck 550 Spyder
1991 Nissan Figaro
2011 Suzuki Equator Pickup
Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Skyman »

Chances are a previous owner may have done some rewiring and now the colors don't match the schematic. I had to rewire most of my under dash and engine harnesses due to the sins of the previous owner(s). None of my colors matched as the PO used whatever color wire they seem to have on hand at the moment. Curtis on this site is now making some VERY nice harness reproductions. I wish he were around 6 years ago when I had to redo mine. The schematics in the wiki are very good. Pay attention and retrace you wiring. You may need to make some wiring adjustments. When I wired my EI dizzy, it was pretty straight forward. Also, since you brought up the alternator, you may want to consider the single wire GM alt swap.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

Skyman wrote:Chances are a previous owner may have done some rewiring and now the colors don't match the schematic. I had to rewire most of my under dash and engine harnesses due to the sins of the previous owner(s). None of my colors matched as the PO used whatever color wire they seem to have on hand at the moment. Curtis on this site is now making some VERY nice harness reproductions. I wish he were around 6 years ago when I had to redo mine. The schematics in the wiki are very good. Pay attention and retrace you wiring. You may need to make some wiring adjustments. When I wired my EI dizzy, it was pretty straight forward. Also, since you brought up the alternator, you may want to consider the single wire GM alt swap.
I too have a single wire GM alternator (well Internal voltage regulator IVR). There is also IVR Nissan alternator (Curtis told me about it) with about 50 amps which would be plenty.
Suspect it is more costly than the GM one though. Looks more like it belongs being Nissan :smt020
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)