Still fuel starved

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Still fuel starved

Post by notoptoy »

yes, that could be it, there is a critical difference in some of the pumps involving a thicker base flange and the spacer. With a short arm, you may need to forgo the spacer and mount direct to the block. It sounds like either the pump you had or the new one is mismatched to the spacer. Can you include a shot of the two arms, the two bases and the spacer you are dealing with?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

I brilliantly threw away the bottom half of my pump. I knew I shouldn't have the second I did it, but left it in the trash can anyway.
len62
Site Supporter

Post by len62 »

Hi,
If the arm length is shorter then your original pump arm, you probably have the wrong fuel pump. The fact that you can pump manually with excellent flow tells us your pump works.
Before I replaced my old pump, I researched non stock options ( trying to save quite a bit of money). From many topic discussions from our community, it appears there are many varaibles with fuel pumps/model years, with differences in arm length, spacer width, and fuel connection fittings. Check some of our vendor sites...Rallye has excellent descriptions and pictures showing you the correct pump for your car. Check it out, mine came within the week, from Washington to New Jersey.
Len
Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly..........
Angels like Rock Music.... Now you know......
Car sold.....here in Spirit and Friendship
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

I've been talking to Sid and he didn't think mounting it without the spacer was the best option but worth a try. I'll give it a try and get back to you.
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Here's some pics of the arm. Does it go over or under the cam (that bar inside the block-that's what that pic is)? I took off the spacer but I can't get it to flush up to the block. It'll only go to the point where the spacer would be. I only tried to push it on, not force it with bolting it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Here's a couple pics from Rally. The bar looks skinnier and longer to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

The bar from the pump rests on the cam (above), depending on where the lobe on the cam is located when installing, it could be "pushing" on the arm resisting sitting flush. If you can rotate the engine a 1/4 turn or so and the pump will then flush up you may be OK. Bottom line is, it looks like you have the wrong pump.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

maybe you could shave the spacer
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

You might want to go back to the Rallye site to read up on the 2 types of pumps, the early and late. The late pump has the long arm like in your pic, and is not rebuildable, completely. The early pump has a shorter arm and is rebuildable. The diaphram can twist out for replacement. The late pump does not let it twist out. But some have driven the pin in the arm out to get around that.
As I understand it you must have the spacer for both types of pumps.
Also the cam lobe can wear eventually so this is sometimes the problem too. Then you need an electric pump and a block off plate.
The round brass parts have to be oriented correctly too.
And all screws must be very tight for it to pull fuel.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Gregs672000 wrote:Problem started with new pump, correct? I might take a look at the pumps side by side, as some arms were longer than others, some pump bodies thicker, some spacers were different as I recall. Could be that the pump is not being actuated properly by the cam. That fuel filter looks low to me. My friend Frank Zappa (Joe) suggestion on a pump test is a good idea as well. That should tell you what's what with the pump anyway...
Nailed it! :D
I would imagine that, given the pump is not pumping enough, it has a shorter arm than your previous pump. I think we're gonna need to locate a few pumps (worn out or otherwise unneeded) and put them side by side, then see which one is gonna work, then see if it can be rebuilt, etc. The other option is going electric (like I did), which has some pros and cons, but at least your car will run! I may have a few old pumps sitting around that you are welcome to if they exist...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

I don't think I'll modify any of the parts. I just don't have the tools or craftsmanship. I thought about an electric pump, I even bought one. But all the wiring,fuses, splicing, etc is too complicated for me. Lol. I'm a bolt on/bolt off kinda guy. That's why I went mechanical.
Thanks for the offer Greg. Sid is going to look for an old pump for me. If he doesn't have one I'll hit ya up.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

No worries, good hunting!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Try an electric pump - they are only $30 at Autozone and you can run on that until you get the proper mechanical pump.

James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

A fuel pump block off plate for a Chevy 350 fits if you decide to go electric.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA