General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

69roadster
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Stainless steel side trim

Post by 69roadster »

Looking to purchase a set of late side trim , they need dent pulled and polishing. Does anyone know of a place that restores the trim on our cars.
Last edited by 69roadster on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Stainless steel side trim

Post by theunz »

Ross at sportimports does. It’s very time consuming, thus very expensive
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I have used “Norm” at “Shine on me Restorations.” Not cheap, but perfect end product.

http://www.shineonmetrim.com/
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
devauxmidwest
Roadster Nut

Post by devauxmidwest »

What is the process to remove and replace the side trim? Are new fasteners required when the trim is reinstalled?
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

There are tiny nuts on the backside. Some if not most will probably break when you try to remove them. Some interior panels will need to be removed to access them. Jim Tyler at Datsun restoration parts LLC has nice stainless replacements, or you can go to a body and paint supply shop and get something that will work with a little modification for less.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
devauxmidwest
Roadster Nut

Post by devauxmidwest »

Front fender and door side molding removal was fairly simple. How do I get to the rear quarter panel non-trunk nuts? Do I need to remove the top and the interior trim cap that goes around the top of the rear panels to get the rear side panels removed to access the remaining side trim nuts?
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by mraitch »

you do have to remove the small panels - but should NOT have to remove the 'cabin' trim
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
devauxmidwest
Roadster Nut

Post by devauxmidwest »

Thanks Pete. What are the steps for removing the side panels? I don't see any mounting screws. Do I just get my fingers under the sides of the panels and pull them off? Held on by clips?
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

yup - they are held on by clips similar to the ones that hold the door panels on - if you have a small prybar, or similar, use that - it spreads the load 'cos you don't want to pull the clip out of the panel. I think there are two per piece
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
devauxmidwest
Roadster Nut

Post by devauxmidwest »

Thanks!
gbraydon
Roadster Newby

Post by gbraydon »

Another vote for Shine On Me. The guys a very professional.
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

theunz wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:52 pm There are tiny nuts on the backside. Some if not most will probably break when you try to remove them. Some interior panels will need to be removed to access them. Jim Tyler at Datsun restoration parts LLC has nice stainless replacements, or you can go to a body and paint supply shop and get something that will work with a little modification for less.
We also carry stainless steel replica molding clips with Pem stainless aircraft fasteners. Ships today.

https://www.datsunparts.com/2780

https://www.datsunparts.com/2781

Dean
Last edited by Datsunparts.comInc on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

theunz wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:52 pm There are tiny nuts on the backside. Some if not most will probably break when you try to remove them. Some interior panels will need to be removed to access them. Jim Tyler at Datsun restoration parts LLC has nice stainless replacements, or you can go to a body and paint supply shop and get something that will work with a little modification for less.
Thank you for the referral Mike!
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

mraitch wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:19 pm yup - they are held on by clips similar to the ones that hold the door panels on - if you have a small prybar, or similar, use that - it spreads the load 'cos you don't want to pull the clip out of the panel. I think there are two per piece
I highly recommend using the proper tool for removing door trim panel, or similar panel, clips. I bought mine at my FLAP for about $5.00, smoothed out any little burrs that I thought might cause a nick or scratch, and wrapped a couple turns of masking tape around the bend of the tool that provides a fulcrum point for "levering" the clip from the hole.... IMHO, it is one of the best tools for 5 bucks I've ever spent, since I've had to remove my door panels a lot more than a couple of times over the last 40 years. But if you're careful, and lucky, you may not need it. In any case, not that big a deal, but without a design purposed tool, as always, YMMV...
Mike
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

It would also be worth your while to get a photo of the back side of a panel so that you can see where the clips are located. You need to put the pry tool ON the clip or you will destroy the masonite/cardboard.

If nobody here has a photo, I will try to find a panel next time I'm up at the shop and take a pic.