General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mwoolford
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

possible Mazda Miata engine swap

Post by mwoolford »

Has anyone done this? The Silva SR20 swaps are well thought out and there's a ton of information on the subject; but (I don't think) any SR20 powerplants were used in the United States market? And the supply of SR20 engines / transmissions must be drying up since they quit making SR20's almost twenty years ago. On the other hand, Maxda Miatas are VERY common, are still being made, and (compared to classic Datsun Roadster parts) relatively inexpensive. Plus the late engines have the exhaust manifold on the left, passenger side of the engine, something that can't be said for the SR20.

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Re: possible Mazda Miata engine swap

Post by Alvin »

First, visit the "Engine Swap" section here. All your questions can be answered there, for both SR20 and Miata swaps!

This is your SR20 engine swap bible, courtesy of Spriso Motorsports:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27500

Your questions answered below:
mwoolford wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:20 pm Has anyone done this?
Yes. See the engine swap section

The Silva SR20 swaps are well thought out and there's a ton of information on the subject; but (I don't think) any SR20 powerplants were used in the United States market?
Wrong. The SR20 was used in the United States, in FWD layout.

And the supply of SR20 engines / transmissions must be drying up since they quit making SR20's almost twenty years ago.
Sure.

On the other hand, Maxda Miatas are VERY common, are still being made, and (compared to classic Datsun Roadster parts) relatively inexpensive.
OK. An engine swap in itself is not "inexpensive".

Plus the late engines have the exhaust manifold on the left, passenger side of the engine, something that can't be said for the SR20.
Absolutely incorrect. The SR20 has the exhaust on the (left side) of the engine, exactly like the stock 1600 or 2000 engines.

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?
Do what you feel is right, for your budget and goals. Ask how we can help you get what you need. My feeling from your post (and many like it) is the assumption that a modern engine swap is "cheaper" than running the stock drivetrains. It's simply not that binary, and I wouldn't advise one based on that.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
mwoolford
Forum Newb

Post by mwoolford »

mea culpa. the exhaust manifold on Miata engines since 2016 is on the right hand side (passenger side). Sorry for any confusion
mwoolford
Forum Newb

Post by mwoolford »

And I will post similar inquiries in the "Engine Swap" section.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

mwoolford wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:20 pm And I will post similar inquiries in the "Engine Swap" section.
I think you will find it very useful, enjoy!

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Mattk »

If I had to do it again I would definitely do a miata engine! Very readily available and a ton of aftermarket gear from the miata scca racing circuit. If my KA is blown or some thing goes majorly wrong with it I will go Miata!

A lot of the SR guys say "I want to keep it Nissan pure" then go and put an RX-7 rearend and Miata seats in their roadster. Just do what you want to do....you'll be happier you did!

2cents

Matthew
MattK