Time to bring my Datsun back to life!

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

tknishi
Site Supporter

Time to bring my Datsun back to life!

Post by tknishi »

Its been about 4 years since I posted to this forum, and unfortunately its also probably the last time I drove my Datsun. I don't know where the time went….life just got in the way. Anyhow my kids are older now and I just sold my 350Z, and deciding to put that money into the roadster.

Was looking for some helpful tips to get her started again. I have to charge the battery or get a new one, dump the fuel in the tank,put a new fuel filter in, and......what else should i do to bring her back to life nice and easy?

Thanks in advance!
'68 2000
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Time to bring my Datsun back to life!

Post by theunz »

Wow two roadsters from Hawaii now!
I would change the oil and filter for sure. I doubt that you use antifreeze in Hawaii, but if so changing it and flushing out the radiator wouldn’t hurt. Flushing the brake and clutch system would be a good idea as well. At least checking trans and differential fluids is in order as well. Hitting all the grease zerks is advisable too.
Of course many cars that have sat for years have been started again without any of the aforementioned preparation, but why not take this time to do what is basically just normal maintenance. Needless to say...a very slow shakedown run is in order.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by rwmann »

Brakes! Flush and bleed the brakes for safety's sake.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Have a Hawaiian BBQ with your fellow Hawaaian and share fix it info:
viewtopic.php?p=312685#p312685

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
tknishi
Site Supporter

Post by tknishi »

Thanks for the input, yes oil change and brakes definitely need to get done. Got my grease gun, so i'll hit all the zerks.

I took a look at the other Hawaii roadster, unfortunately he is on another island. I've seen a sora blue roadster before out here on Oahu.
'68 2000
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Flush the brakes first! It is possible to save them, but there is not a moment to lose. I also recommend unless you are planning to pre-pressurize the system, removing the valve cover and manually oiling the rockers. It takes awhile for oil to get up to them, and the shaft will gall.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
tknishi
Site Supporter

Post by tknishi »

I've changed the oil, flush the radiator coolant (will do a full flush once the engine is running), new battery, change the rubber hoses on the fuel line, changed the spark plugs and oiled the cylinders, emptied the gas tank, and replaced my electronic fuel pump. Car turned over no problem, so that was a good sign. No fuel going to it yet, will fire it up once I replace the hard fuel line.

I got some copper-nickle tubing, going to try and bend new fuel lines....we'll see how that goes. Brakes are locked up, car won't budge in neutral. So will take a look a the brakes this weekend and bleed them.

I also gave in and splurged on an East Coast Roadster EI Distributor! Can't wait!!
'68 2000
tknishi
Site Supporter

Post by tknishi »

Changed out the hard fuel lines with copper-nickel, which was very easy to work with, with just hand a hand bender. Couple of turns, and the car fired right up and idled nicely. It was great to hear her running again! I was able to move the car a about 10 ft, but the front brakes are rusted, rotors and calipers are rusted are pretty bad.

I also have a blinker issue, only the left blinker works.....and won't shut off. I started a new thread on Tech Discussions.
'68 2000
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

You can remove the cylinders from the calipers , open them up and soak them in Evapo Rust to see if they are rebuildable. If so, sending them to Karp’s , on vendor page, for stainless steel inserts will keep them in good shape. Where you live rust is an issue, so this idea would be a real improvement.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.