Roadster Mechanic

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Roadster Mechanic

Post by unklpat »

Again, did your 5th work if you held it in place? If so, it is most likely the detents. Did your 5th act like neutral? if so you have a non-splined 5th, or a backed off nut. I hope you have a missing spring, or mismatch on your deternts.much cheaper. Pat Sorry, it sounds like your detent spring/ball are incorrect. That is the best news for you. I can assure you that when 5th fails, it is not pleasant. Take out your springs and balls, and verify they were put in in the correct order
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

That sounds like the best news. figure out your balls/ springs, and change your throw out bearing. Pat
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

Also, find someone local, to take a look. It's no fun to pull the motor/trans. Pat
yusef
Roadster Fanatic

Post by yusef »

Check out the attached photos guys. It looks like the thrust washer is installed backwards. Could the preload be messed up and thus the nominal trans vibration and separation forces be causing the 5th to pop out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Not sure what the effect would have other than not spreading the torqueing clamping force other than intended. Regardless, it's a pretty bone-headed and careless assembly.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

FWIW....It looks backwards to me, compared to my rebuild....I can't weigh in what issues may occur, from being installed backwards, though,...I'm no expert in that regard.
Best of luck to you, I'm rooting for your success !
Mike
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
yusef
Roadster Fanatic

Post by yusef »

Quick question: are the mainshaft nuts left-handed? Apparently, on the z's they were left-handed.

Thanks!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I am pretty sure they are not left handed threads.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

Look at the 5th speed gear splines are they parallel to the output shaft or worn / tapered
The syncro sleeve tapered too or have a bit of stress cracks inside both will allow or help it kick out

We used to get irate customers wanting the manual trans like new ....we and a lot of dealers told them buy new $4000 ....$1600 then
Shafts get warped... gears angle a fraction instead of perpendicular, ....cases tweaked ,worn wrong # parts
Used
my recommendation a new 5th gear and full syncro
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by jrusso07 »

Thrust washer is definitely backwards.

Also there is a ball bearing that sits in a divot on the main shaft. The thrust washer has a slot the picks up the ball locking it in place. It may be that the torque from the gear causes it to pop out because washer is not properly located and locked.

PM me with you phone # if you want to talk. There is a lot to say and 311s times out before I can type it.

Wrench is 38mm, you can buy a 38mm crows foot 1/2 drive on Amazon fairly cheaply.

Here are pics of my crowfoots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
yusef
Roadster Fanatic

Post by yusef »

Thanks Joe!

I have posted yet because I was waiting on my amazon crowsfoot and needed some snap ring pliers.

Question: should there be any axial play in the 5th gear itself, i.e., be able to move up and down? I have some slight movement in mine, slight = 0.010".
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I would say no to any play.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by jrusso07 »

Per manual main shaft gears have end play of 0.1 to 0.2mm

Page 138 of U20 and 5 speed service manual in the tech wiki
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

I agree with Joe, that washer should be reversed. If you already stated that 5th gear is fine if you hold it in, then you should be looking at your detents, not the play in the gear. I think you said that you've already had a welded 5th put in, so it wouldn't be slipping. If a shop can put a thrust washer in backwards, they could have messed up the balls/springs. Easy check, cheap parts. Make sure your linkage rod springs are in correctly,that affects gating into 5th also. Pat
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

Image the stiffer spring goes on the passenger side of your shift rods. Here is 2 for reference. Pat