General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RoadZog
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Question re: Bill of Sale

Post by RoadZog »

Tough call, but I passed. Just didn't feel right. I offered to split the cost to get it titled properly but no dice. Sucks - really wanted that car.
1969 SRL 311
2017 Chevy SS
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

The good cars get sold quickly, the problem ones persist. Bet others have passed before you.
Too risky, I would not do it. I mean, technically ,it could be stolen, right? Not in the sellers name, so....
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
eye
Roadster Fanatic

Post by eye »

You made a good choice. According to DMV and any public records, the owner that signed the title over technically still owns the car until it is re-titled. If it shows up in a wreck or something worse, he is the one they will go after NOT the guy trying to sell it to you.
You will find a good one. Keep looking, it's worth it
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

A judge can award you the vehicle ..then you just get a title in your name ... If you did your part and the other guy is being difficult
I bought a boat from two brothers they were going to steal it back and go back to Mn. with it. They did ,come one nigt but didn't figure on my Shepard. Dog , They started playong games all I had to do was give them a court summons ...they started playing ball then
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
RoadZog
Roadster Newby

Post by RoadZog »

Thanks for the story - that's crazy! I do love dogs, and would love the added incentive to get one, but honestly what tipped the balance was just the potential hassle had there been issues. Life is difficult enough as it is these days, and I have zero desire to be making multiple trips to the DMV, which I think was probably the best case scenario had I gone through with it.

It will be my white whale - the one that got away. I'm guessing thats somewhat par for the course, though.

Now my biggest problem is deciding if I should broaden my search to include not just the low window models. Is it worth it to wait for another 67.5 to come along, or just go with a more common later model. The smart move would be to drive / ride in both and see what I like best, but with all the car shows cancelled and the relatively low number of east coast roadster fans, it feels like I could be waiting forever. Patience has never really been my greatest virtue...
1969 SRL 311
2017 Chevy SS
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

There is an echo in here today...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

His keyboard likely has sticky key's.....Ive heard how that happens
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
RoadZog
Roadster Newby

Post by RoadZog »

It was a nice car, but not THAT nice...
1969 SRL 311
2017 Chevy SS
SaveThatClassic
Roadster Nut

Post by SaveThatClassic »

My experience, dealing with this in CA. Long as the title is signed by the prev owner, it releases them from liability and lets the new owner reg the car.. The bill of sale is for you, I would not take it to the dmv (unless they require it). You could ask the seller, to get a bill of sale from the person they purchased the car from, obviously they are making a profit if its flip, but that its irrelevant.

Rules might be different for cars brought in from other states, CA always requires a VIN verification, title and possibly a bill of sale for out of state cars.

Good luck.
S Allen
Site Admin
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

Just an FYI to everyone. The last post was from a Russian hacker-bookis. There was a link in the post regarding tax consultants which I am certain contained some malicious code. If you did click on that link you could very well be infected. I would run a scan with your favorite anti-virus software with the latest definitions. I banned the ip address and deleted the user. First time this has happened in years. Be careful as there are some bad people out there.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Thanks for looking out for us Steve!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Hector66
Roadster Nut

Post by Hector66 »

I purchased my car last month from a "flipper" too. He had the original title signed by the original owner back in 2005. I printed a bill of sale from the California DMV website and filled it out properly with a copy of the sellers license just in case. I also printed a VIN verification form and had the local CHP do the quick verification. I skipped the DMV and used the AAA service here in town. I'm a highway patrolman here in CA and can advice any of you potential buyers/sellers to 1. fill out the release of liability form and mail it to the DMV as soon as the car you sell leaves your possession. Take a picture of the sellers drivers license and get a good phone number and address. If possible, get a VIN check prior to purchase through a local police department. I've purchased many vehicles with just a bill of sale (sometimes on a paper napkin or scrap piece of paper). Just has to have a seller and buyer name, price, and contact information. Buyer beware cant be stressed enough, and if something tells you to walk away....run.
2007 Corvette (base)
1966 SPL311-04395
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Hi Hector66, thanks for the insight. So, any suggestions on what to say or not say when one is pulled over? Last CHP officer I encountered had a good sense of humor and really liked the car, but when I asked him if he could just write me a warning, he smiled and said "Not for 90." He was very nice to me though...
BTW, thank you for your service to the community. Law enforcement can be a tough and sometimes thankless job. I support BLM, but our law enforcement men and women too. We need to listen to all sides of this difficult issue and together solve this problem.
Sunny side UP!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Hector66
Roadster Nut

Post by Hector66 »

Gregs672000 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:33 pm Hi Hector66, thanks for the insight. So, any suggestions on what to say or not say when one is pulled over? Last CHP officer I encountered had a good sense of humor and really liked the car, but when I asked him if he could just write me a warning, he smiled and said "Not for 90." He was very nice to me though...
BTW, thank you for your service to the community. Law enforcement can be a tough and sometimes thankless job. I support BLM, but our law enforcement men and women too. We need to listen to all sides of this difficult issue and together solve this problem.
Sunny side UP!
:smt006
I had no idea these cars can go that fast!!! Lol 90 is a little fast for most cops to turn the other cheek. We have the unfortunate experience of witnessing the results of high speed collisions. Rural roads vs. busy highways are a consideration if someone is exceeding the speed limit in a safe manner.I always judge each circumstance in totality and if officer discretion is appropriate, i'll make a decision that will leave both us driving away with a better understanding of the situation. All officers are different. I always advice someone to slow down and enjoy the journey. Thanks for your support and of course i too listen to both sides of all issues and always try to learn from each experience. Stay safe and look out for one another.
2007 Corvette (base)
1966 SPL311-04395
TurboRagtop
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by TurboRagtop »

I'm on the side of exercising extreme caution in this purchase. Remember once you wire the cash, anything the seller said or guaranteed is worthless if he decides to stop answering the phone. Then it becomes your problem to solve. As long as you hold the cash it's HIS problem to solve.
To sum up, I wouldn't send any money until he gets the DMV in NJ to declare everything is in order.
Karl Payne, Gilbert, AZ
1966 1600 roadster, 2.3L EFI Turbo Ford engine, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, T-5 trans, 300ZX big brakes, stand-alone Megasquirt ECU/TunerStudio