Electrical Short and Fuel Guage Problems

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

lildrip049
Roadster Newby

Electrical Short and Fuel Guage Problems

Post by lildrip049 »

Have a 1968-69 datsun roadster. IO say this because the registration is for a 69 however the wiring diagram for the car is 1968. I have 2 problems. I had the master cyclinder rebuilt by a local mechanic and when I went to pick up the car the fuel gauge did not work and the bottom 20 amp fuse was blown where after testing I have no left or right signal lights. Replaced the fuse several times and the fuse blows, even when I disconnect the 2 flashers. I believe I have the correct wiring diagram for my car. Can someone help guide me in the process of finding this short and fixing the fuel guage..I grounded the sending unit for fuel and the guage did not move. I am thinking of fixing the short first then attacking the fuel guage. Following the wire diagram is difficult so I am looking for alot of assistance THX ,a fustrated Russ
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Electrical Short and Fuel Guage Problems

Post by jrusso07 »

Is the 20 Amp fuse that blows the Flasher fuse? There are two flashers, the turn signal and the hazard. Does the hazard flasher work (the pull switch next to the radio)?

In looking at the schematic, the 20 amp fuse that blows (I am guessing at which one) also feeds the horn relay. Does horn work? If not, check the connections to the relay which is under the hood on the inside driver side fender - close to master cylinder. My guess is that the mechanic may have disconnected a wire or replaced a wire on the wrong terminal.

Run down these things

1) Horn works? If not Check for proper connections to relay.
2) Hazard Flasher works? A lot of connections go thru the hazard switch, difficult to troubleshoot sometimes but let us know if the hazards work
3) Check the connections on the stop light switch behind the brake pedal - this doesnt go to ground except thru the stop lights on the rear
4) Does the brake light on the dash light when you pull the brake light switch next to the radio?
5) Last, check connections to the turn signal switch
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

He changed your master cylinder, first thing I would check is if screwed up or around with the connectors under the master.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

So the bottom fuse on the 68 feeds the reverse wires. This makes me think if the fuse is blown he did screw up something there under the master. There are two red with black stripe wires, I would check them.

Gauge drawing.
http://www.kendo-usa.org/datsun/datsun_ ... out_68.pdf

Fuse box 68
http://www.kendo-usa.org/datsun/68%20fusebox.pdf
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

A 10 amp circuit breaker wired toired/ aligator. clips instead of blowing fuses is a good 1st step. Then look for accessories that do not work off that corcuit investigate those ...you can usualy see them work lite etc before it blows check for grounded pos wires
A short detector can wprk on these few wires cars too
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster