Re: electrical short and fuel guage problems

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

lildrip049
Roadster Newby

Post by lildrip049 »

I have a 1968 or 69 datsun. I state this because the registration says its a 69 however the wiring diagram is for a 68. I had the master cyclinder rebuilt and when i went to pick uu the car the fuel guage did not work and the lower 20 amp fuse in the fuse box was blown. I ground the fuel guage from the connection to the fuel sending unit and the guage did not move. IT appear that everything works except for my right and left signals. In tried several times to try to find the short, even removing the 2 flasher units under the dash, each time blowing a fuse. I have the wiring diagram for the car however it is difficult to follow. My thoughts are to fix the short, then address the fuel guage. I need some direction on tracing this circuit and some advice. Please advise, Afustrated Russ
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Re: electrical short and fuel guage problems

Post by notoptoy »

Do you have the large color wiring diagram from the tech wiki? This is much easier to follow.
http://www.311s.org/PDFs/curtis/datsun_ ... out_68.pdf
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Sounds like the mechanics unplugged some wires under the dash when installing the master cylinder. Maybe knocking the voltage regulator a bit on the column. Check the ignition switch for any loose or burned wires. The flashers have to be well grounded via their screws for them to work.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

Looks like your mechanic shorted the load side of the IGN fuse that caused the fuse to blow. If you've replaced the fuse and the turn signals and fuel gauge do not work, the short likely opened up a bad connection. Check continuity between the load side of the fuse (R/B wire) to terminal 4 on the flasher switch (green wire with a red band). See the schematic.

Good luck.
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Try this to troubleshoot. Only real difference is the location of the 2000 temp sender

http://kendo-usa.org/datsun/datsun_gauge_layout_68.pdf
http://kendo-usa.org/datsun/datsun_gaug ... _69_70.pdf
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.