Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

The Neck
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Roll bar input?

Post by The Neck »

Hey everyone,

As I’m waiting for a few parts to show up I’ve been browsing the local classifieds. I found a guy selling a roll bar, and I’m hoping to get some info on this and some opinions.

Main reason for it is safety, plus a few others.

Does anyone know, or can even tell me any info on the roll bar shown? For $100 is seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 CJ-5
2007 Audi S4
2003 Audi Allroad Stg 2
1967.5 1600
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Roll bar input?

Post by Solex68 »

I believe that roll bar is more for looks than safety.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

Looks similar to the one I have. Mine came with the car when I bought it but I don’t know if it’s ever been installed in any car. I think shipping it anywhere would cost more than the bar.
90EA2146-7F72-487F-B233-F4FACB6F22F5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

The Roadster Rollbars I saw were listed at $300. He has two, one really tall one and one like pictured. He has a LOT of Datsun parts and some interesting cars. He bought some of my parts a while ago, nice guy. If they include the lower plates and hardware its a great deal at $100. If not, it might not do much to help. I hated drilling holes in the body, but its obviously necessary.

I had planned to weld extensions from the lower plates to the frame to make it functionally safe. Otherwise, I wouldnt trust those to save my life in a rollover.
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
The Neck
Roadster Fanatic

Post by The Neck »

2mAn wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:15 am The Roadster Rollbars I saw were listed at $300. He has two, one really tall one and one like pictured. He has a LOT of Datsun parts and some interesting cars. He bought some of my parts a while ago, nice guy. If they include the lower plates and hardware its a great deal at $100. If not, it might not do much to help. I hated drilling holes in the body, but its obviously necessary.

I had planned to weld extensions from the lower plates to the frame to make it functionally safe. Otherwise, I wouldnt trust those to save my life in a rollover.
You’re local in Denver? I’d like to take a look at what he has and go from there.

Is the consensus that this roll bar is not for safety but for looks or does that depend on other factors?
1968 CJ-5
2007 Audi S4
2003 Audi Allroad Stg 2
1967.5 1600
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Looks like mine except what are the 4 in sections at the frt. Base
It would help 1000% in a low speed 25 mph roll over, to not get crushed and a big improvement Tbone wise, but I'd
Think you would have to have a helmet on or you very easily could crack your skull banging against the bar
The car is miles behind in safety compaired with even mid 80s ( the new steel formula ) crush zone. Cars
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

The Neck wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:18 am Hey everyone,

As I’m waiting for a few parts to show up I’ve been browsing the local classifieds. I found a guy selling a roll bar, and I’m hoping to get some info on this and some opinions.

Main reason for it is safety, plus a few others.

Does anyone know, or can even tell me any info on the roll bar shown? For $100 is seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Mike
From the picture/listing it's hard to tell if the roll bar is for a high or low windshield car. That should be your first question to ask the seller, then you can proceed.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

While the “bolt to the body“ roll bars Are certainly nowhere as safe as a frame mounted bar, I have to think that they are way better than nothing. That wimpy A pillar that holds your windshield is going to fold like a piece of cardboard in a rollover. Adding a large plate under each mounting point should be mandatory. The headrests should keep you from hitting your head on the bar. The roll bar also gives you a proper mount for 3 point seat belts. Best of all, it gives you a great place to mount a third brake light!
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

The Neck wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:33 am You’re local in Denver? I’d like to take a look at what he has and go from there.

Is the consensus that this roll bar is not for safety but for looks or does that depend on other factors?
Sorry, the ad looked identical to one locally here to me. Disregard everything I said about the seller...

Its certainly better than no bar at all, but again I wouldnt trust it to save my life as-is because with enough force the bar will simply push through the body which is why its recommended to be welded to the frame
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
The Neck
Roadster Fanatic

Post by The Neck »

Oh no worries.

I'll see what height it is for and go from there. I have a friend that's a welder who will help me make sure it's mounted and reinforced better as well.
1968 CJ-5
2007 Audi S4
2003 Audi Allroad Stg 2
1967.5 1600
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

theunz wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:22 pm While the “bolt to the body“ roll bars Are certainly nowhere as safe as a frame mounted bar, I have to think that they are way better than nothing. That wimpy A pillar that holds your windshield is going to fold like a piece of cardboard in a rollover. Adding a large plate under each mounting point should be mandatory. The headrests should keep you from hitting your head on the bar. The roll bar also gives you a proper mount for 3 point seat belts. Best of all, it gives you a great place to mount a third brake light!
Its a nice idea, but they scare the crap out of me. Just to start, driver headrest is behind the bar. Its not going to stop contact with the bar. Using it as a high mount will rip it out of the package tray in any real front end hit, and again, head contact with steel tube.

Its definitely the right spot for a high mount brake light.

I never like driving my street car with it in though. I'm just waiting for a head hit..
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

The Roadster is not all that safe to begin with and nobody really seems to like to mention it. It kind of throws cold water on the hobby. But, no air bags, crumple zones, safety bumpers, small size etc and you know the roll bar, which was on when I bought it, is a minimal factor. I think you have to drive like you are on a motorcycle, very defensively. That is why country road driving for me is so much better than crazy city driving. All the texting going on is scary.
Anyway, still love the car but try to be aware.....
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

I'm going with a rollbar mainly for the light, and I'm building a frame mount from underneath to secure. My first Datsun I restored in the 80's after it had been sitting in the barn for a decade after my brother wrecked it. He and a buddy were driving too fast on a gravel road, the car slid in the gravel on a curve, hit a culvert piece sticking up and flipped and landed in the ditch upside down. Fortunately, the curve of the ditch had the doors/body resting on that and while the windshield was ruined, they were both able to crawl out thru the rear window and the passenger only had a cut on his arm--didn't even need stitches. Yes, God was merciful! Nevertheless that's why I'll have a rollbar--if not for that being in a ditch they would both be dead.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

The earlier cars are less safe than later cars. In 68, they started reinforcing the frame at the lower bend, and drilling the front rails to cause them to crumple. Plus the collapsing steering column.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

RCMike wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:47 am
theunz wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:22 pm While the “bolt to the body“ roll bars Are certainly nowhere as safe as a frame mounted bar, I have to think that they are way better than nothing. That wimpy A pillar that holds your windshield is going to fold like a piece of cardboard in a rollover. Adding a large plate under each mounting point should be mandatory. The headrests should keep you from hitting your head on the bar. The roll bar also gives you a proper mount for 3 point seat belts. Best of all, it gives you a great place to mount a third brake light!
Its a nice idea, but they scare the crap out of me. Just to start, driver headrest is behind the bar. Its not going to stop contact with the bar. Using it as a high mount will rip it out of the package tray in any real front end hit, and again, head contact with steel tube.

Its definitely the right spot for a high mount brake light.

I never like driving my street car with it in though. I'm just waiting for a head hit..
If you look at my picture you can clearly see that the headrests are in front of the bar. My bar is an autopower and the roadster is a high windshield model, perhaps other bars are different. Some complain about the bar blocking the rear view mirror, but I find little interference from it. I have never had my head come in contact with the bar, but if in a rear end hit or a hard roll over I suppose it could fold over on you, but your unlikely to survive those anyway. Like Linda says if your in a serious wreck you can, well kiss your a** goodbye :( . With the best selling type of vehicles being pickups and SUV’s with weights ranging from 4,000 to over 8,000lbs. vs our 2,200lbs. We are just a bug waiting to be squashed.
I have no illusions that my bar will save my life and actually feel that my third brake light (lights :D ) actually offer more protection. I do think that in a lite roll over it could help and I do like the look.

PS. I have been known to run with scissors, but I point the tips away from me :mrgreen:
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!