Repaint or Leave Original?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Re: Repaint or Leave Original?

Post by datsun1500 »

Just hitting that seam with steel wool will take most of the orange color off, and that might be enough. If that’s all it’s rusted in 50 years, I wouldn’t worry about stopping it. It’s not spreading, and it’s only surface.
Last edited by datsun1500 on Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

Don't get too carried away!!! You can get yourself into a point of no return and have the paint and chrome look worse. Steel wool, like Mark said, will clean the "rust color" off. Followed by a chrome polish will protect the finish from water-spotting like a wax does for your paint.
The areas of your paint that show the Orange rust color can be cleaned up easily with Mother's Professional Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound, followed by a good quality wax. Rust Mort and products of the like leave you with a coating that will NOT blend well with your original paint. An annual wax job will keep your paint looking awesomely original. FWIW Pat
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

dynaguy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:49 pm Don't get too carried away!!! You can get yourself into a point of no return and have the paint and chrome look worse. Steel wool, like Mark said, will clean the "rust color" off. Followed by a chrome polish will protect the finish from water-spotting like a wax does for your paint.
The areas of your paint that show the Orange rust color can be cleaned up easily with Mother's Professional Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound, followed by a good quality wax. Rust Mort and products of the like leave you with a coating that will NOT blend well with your original paint. An annual wax job will keep your paint looking awesomely original. FWIW Pat
I would have to see that! Pat, could you take a before and after of a piece of rusty metal cleaned up with rubbing compound?
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

ARowe84 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:10 pm But rust mort you think would blend ok with the paint color?
Rust Mort will turn the rust black. It won't touch the paint, but it will stop the constant progression of rust, and it will get into the seam and stop it there as well.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

As indicated, all rust converters will turn the spot black, and that's why I suggest the touch up pen. It will simply wipe off the painted areas. My suggestion would be to go to an autobody supply store and talk with them about their products and suggestions... they typically know their stuff and talk to professionals daily.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

Some pics of my process:
I spent less than 5 minutes with a terry cloth towel and Mother's HD Rubbing compound on a couple areas. The seam where the fender meets the rocker, I used a stiff bristle toothbrush with the compound. Using a power polisher would create faster and better results. I would then apply a high quality wax. In my opinion, the result is preferable to blackened areas created by most rust converters. Granted this does NOT stop the rust, but since most of our Roadsters are fair weather cars, the areas that show rust will not grow at a rapid rate. The areas of concern could be treated from behind with a converter. I prefer POR15 for this application as it is a lot more durable than most of the converters that just turn rust to a black surface.
About a minute with 0000 grit steel wool cleaned up the chrome on my windshield frame. I would follow with a chrome polish for protection.
Just my opinion, but I have found it very easy to get to a point of no return, where it is difficult to impossible to change a process that did not achieve the desired result.
This is what I would do first. I not satisfied, then more use more involved process.

FWIW Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.