Fender to Valence fitment

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Fender to Valence fitment

Post by todd lorber »

I've done a bit of searching here but I haven't found what I'm looking for, so here goes:
I've noticed on my car and on some others, the point where the front fender overlaps the valence on the front of the car (just below the lower corners of the grill) it seems that the fender is too large, resulting in a gap of as much as 1/8" between the fender and valence. The attached pic is not my car but basically shows the area I am talking about. Has anyone come up with a way of shrinking this corner in order to reduce the gap? (maybe cut & weld to reduce the dimensions of the fender?).

I'd like to have a better fit & finish that was apparently done at the factory, or perhaps they relied on primer and paint to fill this area?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Front Cropped.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Fender to Valence fitment

Post by notoptoy »

I have an odd gap on my 67.5 where the valance and fender meet at the grill with a large gap at the same spot. I attributed it to a previous owner (Sins of the PO) changing the fender at some point and did not see an "easy" fix. The apron/valence appears to be made of Papier Mache as it is VERY easily bent into all kinds of shapes with little effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

So for anyone interested, I did manage to close up the gaps here. I squared off the valence as much as possible, and then cut, hammered and welded the fender to a more appropriate profile. This removed appx 70% of the gap, and I left a little space for primer and paint.
Fender1.JPG
[
Fender2.JPG
Fender3.JPG
Fender4.JPG
I hope this helps if anyone else has the same issue.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Nice work, it really tightened it up.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Agreed, well done!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
eye
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by eye »

I think cutting and grinding is the only way to tighten that up, just like you did. Perfect
Mine had some issues too. LOL
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com