Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

The Neck
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Might be picking up a second Roadster

Post by The Neck »

Hey everyone!

While I was out driving around with my daughter today I had a guy pull up next to me and tell me to pull over to talk about roadsters.

After a nice discussion with this gentleman, turns out he has a 68 1600 that's been sitting in his garage for the last 25 years completely untouched. He said it hasn't moved and he's looking to find it a good home. Since I was out on a drive with my 15 year old daughter, who loves my roadster, we started talking and thought about picking it up as her car and a project we can work on together.

I'm going to take a look at it over the next couple days, and might be pulling the trigger if the price is right.

Mike
1968 CJ-5
2007 Audi S4
2003 Audi Allroad Stg 2
1967.5 1600
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Re: Might be picking up a second Roadster

Post by 2mAn »

Sounds like a fun project! Hopefully it’s complete, I’m guessing you’ll have to deal with fuel and brakes at the very least. Wishing you the best of luck
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
The Neck
Roadster Fanatic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by The Neck »

I had a similar experience with my current Roadster. Sat in a garage for 13 years and I ended up rebuilding the carbs, all hydraulics and brakes, some electrical, and cooling system as the radiator had froze at some point.

Would definitely be a very fun project to do with my daughter.
1968 CJ-5
2007 Audi S4
2003 Audi Allroad Stg 2
1967.5 1600
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Good luck , hope you get it
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

This disease must be spreading like Covid.
Last month I picked up a '68 SPL with U20 and 5 speed in it (like I need another project). It had been in the owner's garage for 30 years. Remarkably well preserved, but it will need proper going through-fuel system, brake system, cooling system, probably timing chains etc.
Why...Why???
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

todd lorber wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:22 pm This disease must be spreading like Covid.
Last month I picked up a '68 SPL with U20 and 5 speed in it (like I need another project). It had been in the owner's garage for 30 years. Remarkably well preserved, but it will need proper going through-fuel system, brake system, cooling system, probably timing chains etc.
Why...Why???
Why? Why? Dopamine! The neurochemical related to Pleasure! What you get every time you do something you like, and the foundation of all addictions, good or bad! From nicotine to meth... nicotine releases dopamine in small amounts, so that's why you do it over and over... meth, 1500 TIMES more release than normal (ask real life to compare and compete with that! Why it can be so hard to quit, the brain doesn't care, it just wants it).
So, indulge your safe releases as long as you're not giving up food and shelter for Roadster parts!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

You’re funny, Greg, but I appreciate the health info you provide :) Don’t forget heroin in the mix for neurotransmitter overload.
I bet there will be a few Roadsters for sale coming up with the Covid situation.
Congrats Todd. Something new to talk about if Supercar Sunday comes back!
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Oh yes indeed... all "recreationally used" drugs will hit the dopamine system, typically hard and with other effects. Interestingly, pot seems to hit it too, but in a different manner that may explain why for most it does not become strongly addictive... not that you can't way over do it or run your life via it. Addiction sucks! The more I look at "addictive" behavior, the more I think about the neurotransmitter role. It all comes down to cells talking to each other (and different organs it seems Too! They release hormones etc that influence the brain and your decisions/perceptions. See the recent Nova episode The Truth About Fat, S47 Ep 6).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

Hmm...well, human vice and biochemistry aside, I think my issue stems from an odd need to rescue a car and get it back on the road. I certainly don't have enough time to drive what I have, let alone put more in the stable. I'll probably work on it a bit to get it driveable and then let someone else complete the restoration. Other than the swapped power train, this car is a very cool candidate for an unmodified original. It has nice original wheels, hub caps and even stainless beauty rings. Unfortunately the white walls are to chapped and old to be safe but they look pretty cool.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ya, you can't really know until you are totally out of Roadsters and in withdrawal!
I'm glad you're out there... this is a good addiction!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA