Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Torqamp for Roadsters

Post by Bigtaku »

Has anyone been looking at these amazing electric turbos? https://torqamp.com/
I am fascinated with them. $2500 bucks each but very simple to install.
Here are a few youtube videos as well.

These guys are just having fun with this crappy car but what would two torqamps do on my SR20DE? Maybe just one to start with...
Michael Montez
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Torqamp for Roadsters

Post by C.Costine »

Might call for a little jetting work.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Solex68 »

When I was kid I built a similar contraption and I called it the "Electro-charger". I was ahead of my time in thought, but behind in technology.
Turbos were getting popular and I thought I could electro-charge my 2 liter SU roadster.

My electro-charger consister of a automotive heater blower motor with two outlets, which I piped into the SUs with some flexible tubing. I then placed a single dome filter on the entry. Kind of like this fan.
Electro-Charger.jpg
The idea was to have it turn on automatically but I never got that far when I realized in testing with a manual switch, that it help at low RPM but at high RPM, it was too restrictive and could not pass air fast enough.
Oh well. I'm glad someone else tried to it too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

audi has engines with electric turbos , 48 volt ceramic impellers ...i read ,... not sure on psi , believe they have one thats part exhaust + elect
a only 4psi turbo less resrictive exh system would be my choice for a 10 to 1 compression engine
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

My SR20DE has a 3 inch exhaust and a stock S14 ECU. The reason I didn't go with the SR20DET in the first place was I wanted Air Conditioning and up to this point no one has both turbo and air that I am aware of. I don't want to damage anything on my engine using this setup. I have read on SR20 sites that adding a turbo to a SR20DE may cause issues with the engine, but adding just one is not as powerful as a real turbo. It looks like I would have to get the car to a tuner to get the full power out of the Torqamp but that is something that I will probably need to do anyway. Bottom line is Torqamp is only worthwhile if you don't need to reinvent the wheel and change the whole setup. If nothing but more power is the result then this may work for me but, lucky for me I can't seem to get my car painted so this crazy idea is not an issue until I start putting Mothra back together. Hopefully by then more info will be available. On another note, I don't know where I would mount this if I did get one...
IMG_1382.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Any guesses on how this would work on a SU U20? I suppose first in order would be to build a pressurized airbox but what other induction mods? Curious.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

So funny, I too thought of an electric turbo back in about 1985 when building my engine, but realized there was no way to create enough boost with the technology available to me then. That thing is very interesting. Looks like with some refinement on boost onset, maybe a throttle positioning sensor, you could have a fairly seamless integration. With a TPS and an adjustable timing system (crank fired or 123 EI distributor), you might be able to run with turbo ready sidedrafts (Dellortos are easily modified) that are jetted to run rich enough on boost. Of course EFI would be best. Stock U20 or R16 compression might be OK, but certainly not on my HC motor. The Cobalt they used for testing is far more technologically advanced than our '60 era cars, already coming with computer controlled fuel and timing management, making it much easier to adapt. Without addressing those systems at the same time, you'll likely have a difficult road ahead to create a safe and reliable ride... not bolt on! The more modern engine swapped guys however may do well! Pretty cool.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

nismou20 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:54 pm Any guesses on how this would work on a SU U20? I suppose first in order would be to build a pressurized airbox but what other induction mods? Curious.
To give you an idea of how important it would be to address fuel and timing, a friend in the know often talked about how those guys out there just "turning up the boost" on modern engines without addressing the injectors ability to provide enough fuel were quickly blowing their motors up. SUs are a very inexact means of supplying fuel and would concern me a lot. Also, my recent time on the dyno really illustrated how important control over the ignition timing map is.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA