A friend indeed

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

A friend indeed

Post by Gregs672000 »

Life can be stressful. These past two weeks have found us feeling like surfers riding tsunami waves... you all know how it can be.

Sitting, waiting patiently is the Datsun. "I'm here, when you need me." Yesterday, I had a moment to take the offer. It was sunny, cold, late in the day but I could choose to take the car to run errands... I'm in. Turning onto the main street out of the neighborhood, the carbs stumbling a bit from being cold, she still barks and responds to the throttle. Out comes this wonderful U20 sound as she sucks in gobs of ice cold air through the Dellortos. A smile crosses my face... man I love this car. Each stop light is a chance to run through the gears, even for a short moment. I'm feeling better. Then on the way home I elect to take the freeway so I can keep the pedal mashed to the floor for a bit. I hit the exit north of 100mph. Now I'm really smiling. My face is freezing but my heart is beating hot blood through my veins. A minor detour leads me down to the valley road that will circle back home. I hit the light just right, drop her into second and take a hard left as I slam the gas. Out comes the tail as the limited slip puts the power down, and a little opposite lock shoots us down the road with nobody in front of me. Boewaaaaaap! says the engine as she she climbs onto the cam through the gears, then another hard left and it's up the hill at warp speed with 7000 rpm shifts to the stop light... and I'm better. Much better. I'm smiling, my soul feels lighter, and I'm ready to soldier on. As I shut her down in the garage, all I can do is pat her on the hood and thank this friend for giving me exactly what I needed, as it always has. A friend for 33 years for a reason. A friend indeed. Keep Calm and Motor On. I love my Roadster.

:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: A friend indeed

Post by bakerjf »

Well said.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

Love it, Greg!
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

And to think...some people buy cars just for transportation. Boy are they missing the boat!
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

Great story!
Geoff
1969 SPL-311