General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

gnoplos
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Cleaning cast aluminum tips?

Post by gnoplos »

C.Costine wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:21 pm gnoplos, note that justinmc89 stated that he used a stainless brush. That is because a regular steel bristled brush or wire wheel can leave a little steel on the surface which can then rust later on.
Oh I missed that. I would have never thought of that! I tried a little bit of wire wheel and I wasn’t a fan of it. I tried a bit of polish with a scotch pad for a nasty parts and it looked pretty good. I think I’ll try to just use polish to get it looking nice. Can I clear coat over polished aluminum??
1969 1600 jalopy on its way to a VQ35 V6 #24080
gnoplos
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Cleaning cast aluminum tips?

Post by gnoplos »

This is my final product. After I cleaned it with the self etching mag cleaner, no matter what I did, it dried coated in a white powdery residue. I tried polishing it but realized that clear coat would never stick to it. So i just cleared over the residue and it seemed to go pretty well. It’s a little darker than I would have liked but it’s very clean looking which is great.

I’ll be doing the same thing for the transmission
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 1600 jalopy on its way to a VQ35 V6 #24080