50th Anniversary

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

50th Anniversary

Post by C.Costine »

It just struck me yesterday that the week before last, when I got my '67 on the road for the first time in 17 years, was just about 50 years to the day that I bought my first roadster, a 67.5, and hit the road with it. I bought it from a young woman who I happened to meet who was getting married soon, and needed to sell the roadster in order to get started on her new life. A few months ago I googled her and was able to get her address and phone number, so later today I plan to try to contact her and wish her happy 50th wedding anniversary, and perhaps get together. Who knows? maybe my roadster will go on display at a celebration!
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
FairladySPL
Roadsteraholic

Re: 50th Anniversary

Post by FairladySPL »

Great story already!

You are fortunate that you've been able to track her down, since it might also provide a chance to scan some old snapshots she may have had of the '67 and herself, "back in the 60s" for a very retro retake on the scrapbook you've undoubtedly compiled during your ownership.

I can imagine that she's got some stories to tell & re-tell her family about the car and her life back then, stories that may not have come up in these many years since she passed the car along to you. That could be a very cool aspect to your own storytelling, hopefully here for the rest of us to enjoy.

Realizing that her car is NOT the one you just brought out of hibernation, maybe there's an additional challenge possible of tracking down who today has HER car that she had sold to you along the way.

I am looking forward to hearing how this comes out.
--Paul / Annapolis
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

FairladySPL, The story did not come out as one would hope. I found that she passed on back in March, and her husband had died two years earlier. So I missed my chance by literally a few weeks. I have found where her son in law works and have been thinking of contacting him to see if perhaps his wife may want to see a car just like the one that her mother had before the marriage. Unfortunately the original 67.5 went to the crusher probably a year after I sold it.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
FairladySPL
Roadsteraholic

Post by FairladySPL »

Ach, what a shame about the timing.
It's good that you've found the descendants, though, since they probably took custody of some of her parents' memorabilia. Since both have now passed away, an extra bit of gentle approach is warranted, since who knows how they're dealing with the loss, etc., and stirring things up can be either good or bad accordingly. Best wishes in the pursuit, though, it's definitely worth your time and you'll get a sense quickly as to whether they could be up for some storytelling.
--Paul / Annapolis
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

I haven't gotten trying to making contact yet. I wouldn't really characterize it as a pursuit but I think that it is the right thing to do.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
Ford F-350 6.0