General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bossbob
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Body work and paint for you do it yourself'ers

Post by bossbob »

I am interested in knowing how much detail you do it yourself'ers put into your body work and paint.

Are you the type that,

1. Does a 100% do it right, remove every flaw, nook and cranny, block it out, color sand, and polish, for a sick, smooth, show car paint job.
2. Get about 90-95% of it as best you can with what you have, and get a nice driver+ paint job. Might still have some high and low spots.
3. Sand it, spray it, and hope for the best.

Or somewhere in between.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Body work and paint for you do it yourself'ers

Post by notoptoy »

If I am paying, it better be perfect. If I am doing the work, I'm obsessive compulsive, to a point (the point where I become frustrated and ticked off and just say "F-it", It'll have to do") - so I'd like to think I would do it perfect, though it might take me 3-4 years to be happy with it. Therefore, I'm better off paying to have it done. Oh yes, did I mention that I suck at body work and hate it, because I don't weld, and hate bondo and am obsessive compulsive - wait, did I say that yet? Anyway, being obsessive compulsive, and not being able to do body work, attempting to do it myself, (which I have tried in the past), would drive me insane as I would never get it the way I want it. So, I should just pay someone to do it.
Umm, what was the question?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
dads311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by dads311 »

I think I am in your 2nd group. I know what It is supposed to look like and I get so pi**ed off when I can't get it there. Sometimes I get so pi**ed off the wife won't even come into the shop. Then I go to a car show and I see what some people paid lots of money for and I think to my self if they had used a bigger block when sanding and had done it one more time before they painted there wouldn't be those ripples down the door. And then someone comes by and tells me my car is beautiful or how much they love it and I kinda forget about all of those flaws that I could point out everyone of them to you. Then I get in and drive and all I have is a big smile on my face and forget all about anything but how much fun I am having.
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

^That is perfect^
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

I bet I used over a gallon of bondo on my car. By the time it was ready to paint there probably wasn't 1/2 a pint left on it. For every slight dent, I bet I redid it 3 to 5 times, one in particular I must of redid a dozen times! I did the absolute best I thought I could...it wasn't good enough! This was my first paint job and I think it came out really nice, but I'm sure that the body shop manager would fire me. All those videos make it look like a piece of cake, it's not. Those who can make a panel perfect really do have a talent that takes lots of practice to perfect. If you have never tried body work than you have no idea what a deft touch it requires. I debated seriously about having a pro do the final finish work and spraying, but than I wouldn't of had the satisfaction of doing it myself. Besides if I ever feel the need I can always have it professionally repainted.
That being said I guess I shot for the first group and ended up in the second group :?
Last edited by theunz on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
greydog

Post by greydog »

I'm in the 2nd group.
After all, I want to drive the car.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

I put hundreds of hours into the body of mine. I did a lot of cutting rust out and butt welding new metal in. There were three different areas of collision damage that hadn't been repaired properly. There were ELEVEN places where someone had ground right through the sheet metal when removing paint. I used five quarts of filler, a gallon of spray on filler, two quarts of high build primer and two aerosol cans of high build primer. I sprayed the base and clear in the engine compartment, cockpit and trunk, but I took it to my pro neighbor to spray the exterior. These last two weeks I have been sanding and buffing. I am very happy with how it looks. I know that I will do a little more sanding and buffing once I have had it out in the sun for awhile and see some places that I am not happy with, but as it is I am very happy!

IMG_1511.jpg
IMG_1535.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

#2 for me. I'm too obsessive compulsive to think about #1
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

I am a solid 2.25'er.
I drive it too much and too hard to be a #1, I would drive myself crazy, and the other priorities at home (similar to Alvin's smiling clan) consume so much time that anything more than "decent driver" status is un-realistic.
On a backroads drive last year, I chased an Autech-powered 510 up the mountains, and had a feeling that each time we went into the shade, my cap was getting sprinkled, or so I thought. In reality, Ted had some REALLY sticky tires on his 510, and he was peppering the front of my car, windshield (and hat!) with small pebbles, as I noticed later in the day. Oh well, all in good fun, that is what she is for, maximum smiles per mile.
My paint is from the PO, and hood and trunk seem to have received a different level of surface prep than the rest of the body. (I can rationalize the hood being heat effected, but not the trunk) Both are wearing much more, and next step for me will be a "two panel repaint", and at some point the area right forward of the trunk will at some point have to be repainted with its edges creatively "fogged in" to the surroundings. (yes, color match is key)
To each his own, I love seeing the glorious examples at Solvang and other get-togethers, but my greatest enjoyment comes the day before/after Solvang, on Tepesquet Canyon Road.
Map_Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

"Ive got 800 bucks will you paint my car?"

613AACEE-B667-4D91-B9D3-C9C26ACAFF6F.jpeg
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
theunz
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

Sure, you supply the paint and other materials and I'll spray it. Oh, did you want body work with that?🤔 Most people don't realize the costs of decent materials to paint a car. When I painted mine the paint was about $350, the clear another $150 or so. Add in the reducer and hardner, the sealer, tape, paper,tack rags and don't forget you need at least a good disposable respirator ( not a simple mask). By the time I left the paint store I had spent around $600, this does not include any of the materials for the body work. By hey Maco can fix you up for just a couple of hundred...yea!
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

2nd category for me too. Just yesterday I noticed a brand new dent in one of my rear flairs. Bummer, but I shrugged it off. I have done all my own body work, having someone else paint it, then I would wet sand and buff. It was pretty straight, and black. Now I have numerous rock chips, some body flex cracks over the years, battle scars I say. We DRIVE our car. We could not enjoy it near as much nor have the same adventures if I were overly concerned with keeping it perfect. My attitude is probably a carry over from getting the car at age 22-23, where going fast was more important than anything else.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

Category 4
Roller-job tremclad by the PO
When its time for a re-do, I won't mind pulling everything apart, sanding & scraping it down ... but I'll leave it to the body guys to do it right. In the mean time I'll probably need to add some clear 3M tape to slow down the chipping.
Ralph

Rolling restoration of white 1968 SPL311
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

I am at the body shop often enough to know I cant do it. I do not have the patience. Finding a good honest shop that does an honest time+materials, and will do the project to the level you ask, so helpful.. because I just dont have the patience..
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

So, I am down to the last panel, stopped by the local paint supplier yesterday and as Mike said paint materials are close to $600 for Valspar which is what this supplier carries and the paint is more than I paid for the car itself.

So, my question is, what other paints are out there that don't break the bank. Or, is this the best route.

On the other hand, other than a few flaws in my body work that I still need to address, I think I'm running around 2.5 on the quality of work scale. Which probably means a solid 2.

What are good websites to buy paint from?

Also, what do you recommend, Base/Clear or Single Stage.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe