Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

G.kambs
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

An Iron Duke

Post by G.kambs »

An iron duke
I’m a life long Chevrolet-GMC man but, I don’t think I would have of put a 1980 2.5L Chevy Monza engine in a Datsun Roadster along with... an “automatic” turbo 200 transmission?

The engine runs solid but, had a none working air filter because the top of the carburetor sits about an inch and a half from the hood.

Tried to do a side mounted air filter configuration into the engine compartment but, the inch and a half clearance restricted airflow and limited our options. So, I decided to go up through the hood since... hoods for these cars seem to be plentiful if, I ever decide to change the engine and transmission configuration. Right now (a little over a month from the purchase) and I am close to getting this car road ready and safe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don’t know what I’m doing but that’s not going to stop me.
Mike A. (aka: G.kambs)
G.kambs
Roadster Nut

Re: An Iron Duke

Post by G.kambs »

Original air filter compartment was cut down so low it would not house a filtering system, plus the top of it was pressing against the hood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

No offense please, but it's too beautiful of a car to have such a "thing" in the bay. R16s are not that hard to find, and a set of sidedraft carbs and the beautiful valve cover would transform the look and sound great.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Too bad that you chopped a hole in the hood. A lot of cars have a snorkel that would have worked to fit a filtration system.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
G.kambs
Roadster Nut

Post by G.kambs »

Gregs672000 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:33 am No offense please, but it's too beautiful of a car to have such a "thing" in the bay. R16s are not that hard to find, and a set of sidedraft carbs and the beautiful valve cover would transform the look and sound great.
None taken, figured it wouldn’t be a popular choice with enthusiasts. An engine swaps just not in the budget now, I’d like to only do it once, and when that time comes I’d like it to be a SR20 along with a new hood of course. Thanks for your understanding
G.kambs
Roadster Nut

Post by G.kambs »

spl310 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:53 pm Too bad that you chopped a hole in the hood. A lot of cars have a snorkel that would have worked to fit a filtration system.
Yep, understood when it’s time for a new engine a new hood will accompany it.
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

Welcome, another new alternative engine swap, and another out on the road, thumbs up.
“Hot rodding” was always about using what was plentiful and cheap, and you are right, with fenders rusting out, hoods are easily found.
That 1 inch clearance is challenging. What Sid was talking snorkel, he means something akin to the cold air induction set-ups, where volume of the filter moves off the engine, often fwd of the radiator. All that has to be done is maintain cross sectional area of intake, so a 4” diameter tube, given 1” high, has to be 12.6 wide, but would look something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+ ... XDAw5i0GjM

Hope that link works. Nissan SD engines were “tall” as well, so had similar challenges.

In any case, get her out there and show it off, while some wouldn’t have chosen this course, it was tastefully done, nicely finished.
Happy roadstering!
Sent from my iPad
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
G.kambs
Roadster Nut

Post by G.kambs »

Thanks Fergus O, for the kind words also, I really appreciate the constructive criticism and thoughts of all our brother roadster enthusiasts.
She’s so close to being road ready. All new fluids, new rear brakes, new rear end seal, rebuilt transmission with new mount, new rear main seal, rebuilt radiator, new hoses, new transmission cooler and fan, new water pump, repacked wheel bearings, new wheels and tires, front end is tight, All in about a month.

Link works 👍