Performance U20 Header Discussion

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Performance U20 Header Discussion

Post by Gregs672000 »

They sound great. I had not considered the fact that all your cars are right hand drive and thusly don't have to worry about the steering shaft. That clearly makes a big difference on design... Damn. I contacted a local fabrication shop that focuses on custom headers, and they would need the car for a week and it would likely run $3k or so.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
mtresillian
Roadster Nut

Post by mtresillian »

Here are mine on a test fit and a comparison to the set of short tri-Y pipes that I inherited when I bought the car. May help with understanding their relationship to the steering column. The collector is a beautiful piece of work.
Not sure if the SU manifold is any different to the Solex manifold?
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Steering shaft would probably be in the way. However, the shaft could be modified as has been done for fitting V6 engines. I want one! Can you take a pic from above, especially if the intake is still off?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Does the header extend farther out than the solex intake? I'd bet not. The steering shaft is 2" beyond that... looks to me like it it would clear the shaft by a mile since the shaft is over the frame. I think if it clears the frame, it will clear the steering..at least looks that way-nice part!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
mtresillian
Roadster Nut

Post by mtresillian »

Greg
The headers are made on a spare engine with a jig to allow clearances for the chassis, alternator, starter etc. I wonder if a steering column could be added to the mix? I put mine on 2 years ago so unfortunately I don't have any top down pics. I will talk with Alastair.

Indeed JT...you answered my question. The headers fit snug between the block and chassis. I think they will be fine.

Attached is pic of pipes early on.
M
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I went out and looked at my empty engine bay, and lined up my header... agreed, the steering shaft is not the issue I thought it might Be! For me, I would need to find another place for my O2 sensor, but that's workable... drooling... probably next on my list once I get this new motor built and working.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Down under 311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Down under 311 »

I also have a set that Michael is talking about ... different car !
68 Datsun 2000 solex carbs matching number ... Now with long pipes :twisted:
67.5 number 662
2005 Porsche 997 SOLD :(
62 karmann ghia restored SOLD :(
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Are these mild steel? Looks like it (although collector looks to be stainless), but just wondering because of the price point.
mtresillian
Roadster Nut

Post by mtresillian »

Greg. Can line you up with a set. Spoke to Alastair. He can make a set in about a month or so if you are serious.
Not sure about type of steel
M
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

mtresillian wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:58 am Greg. Can line you up with a set. Spoke to Alastair. He can make a set in about a month or so if you are serious.
Not sure about type of steel
M
Thank you! It's on my radar for sure, one way or Another! However, first things first... I need to build my engine (hopefully back from the machine shop next week!), break it in and tune it with what I've got so I'm back to baseline with the systems I've added over the years (larger valves/porting, Isky cam, high compression, crank fired, Dellortos, etc) . Once she's up and running well and been on the dyno, then I will likely add the header down the road, like next year, and we can see what differences we can make with it based on before and after dyno pulls. After that, I think I'll be done!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA