General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: 70 1600... painless de-smog process input appreciated

Post by Lorna c »

justinmc89 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 pm
Lorna c wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:36 am
jamesw wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:19 am Just do the EI distributor installation (huge improvement over original) and change your needles and jets on the carbs and you are good to go.
is the needles and jets only for the el swap or is it for the non smog swap ? I've just swapped out my distributer to non smog and reading to see what else is possibly needed for the flop .
This is the sort of information I was trying to get answered an consolidated into a single thread... then it got slightly hijacked. From what I can tell from other searches on here people say you need to change the needles when you anti smog as the type 70 needles in the smog carbs were designed for smog fueling.
got ya . thank you . now what type are non smog fueling ? I haven't looked for a number on the needle yet but what if it's not a 70? Haha consolidate away .. pls
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

justinmc89 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:56 pm redroadster... MO MVI's are a joke. While back in your day they might have served a bit more of a purpose and people took them maybe a bit more seriously. These days even the lawmakers agree they are a joke. As a matter of fact if you look around you'll see that MO is voting now to eliminate them all together.

I got my inspection and will kindly keep the name and location of my inspector private lest an overzealous anti-desmogger such as yourself report me. ;)

Also if the law were to plainly read no engine swaps... there'd be a lot of hot rods, muscle cars (hell even my neighbors former slant six now 440ci) cars off the road. I have a LS1 swapped 240sx and have never had an issue. So I'll consider that point at rest as well. I've never been pulled over and asked to "can we check your smog equipment?". The highway patrol might take violations more seriously for commercial type vehicles but they do with almost every such fine. I had a friend who was ticketed driving between lots on a college campus he cleans with a street sweeper because he didn't have his seatbelt on when he crossed across the 2 lane street to the next lot.

That said... the items are removed... the inspection is passed.. the car is tagged... the world is a worse place for it I'm sure.
My days were to 08 ( at dealerships ,still working on cars some at my shop) so don't know you mean, any other vehicle inspectors here Mo. or else?
MVI's a joke ? you crazy ! My sister and another woman were nearly killed be for dawn one day coming up on a blind area on a highway when a old timer driving a 62 gas dump truck ,doing about 9mph ,had zero tail lights , they are very needed 4 sure . I ve seen tie rods with no nut on, completely wired up exhaust, lower ball joints that came completely apart when I went to test them ...thats fine with you huh.

my explaining the laws, as from experience was/is not to trap you ( although it seems you already really know its illegal to do )
Do you have any idea how cops get a promotion /rank up ? ask one sometime. it ain't by looking the other way

the MVI booklet you get has this engine swap law right in the frt. , I have one somewhere unless I pitched it .
here is the phone # for troop A in Lees Summit vehicle inspectors six 22- 0 seven 17 call them up , they may ask you email as not a pro

the last 2 times I took the test for a license they told of a inspector that was doing life in prison, he passed a car with a medium small exhaust leak , a week later a couple parking in it backed into a snow bank and died from the exhaust leak , maybe you remember it at 87 & blue ridge

also I used to get a roadster or 2 to tune at Datsun I found a plastic guard on the SU's adjusting needles hard to impossible to remove from it with out a spec. tool the part mang. stated that the carb tech was to put one on after his adjustments.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

Per your original post, it sounds like a good plan. I would pony up for e.i. and use the needles from the 1600 carbs. That would at least get your running down the road and if need be you could revisit carburetion any time.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.