General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

justinmc89
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

70 1600... painless de-smog process input appreciated

Post by justinmc89 »

So I've picked up a running (now) driving (sort of... needs a few things) 70 1600 that the owner kept all the original smog equipment on. My goal is to desmog the car and (maybe) gain a couple HP (I'm an optimist!) and frankly simplify the system (engine/carbs/etc) declutter, etc. There are no emissions where I live, etc. Not looking to do anything crazy or spend months researching or reinventing the wheel. I want to get this car driving so I can enjoy it. So that said.. looking for some input.

1) I already removed the smog pump, hoses, air pipe & capped the ports in the head and intake manifold. That's the easy/obvious part.

2) From there it gets interesting based on site searches, random internet information, etc..... so... next steps...

3) I have a complete set of carbs, distributor, intake, etc from a 66 (pre smog) 1600 that I acquired and wisely kept awhile back.

4).. From what I can tell I could always rob parts from the 66 distributor and use it to convert the 70 dizzy to "pre smog" specs and reset the timing, etc. In my book it's easier (and probably smarter) to pony up for a EI distributor. Plus I'm sure my U20 future would prefer this vs. points.

5) I have read I need to swap the needles in the carbs over to pre smog M39 variants... I have these needles in the set of 66 carbs...

I don't see any reason to chase swapping intake manifolds, etc as I just want a enjoyable driver for the spring/summer/fall and not a race car. I have a couple of U20's that I'd like to transplant in next winter.. but best laid plans... So I want something that I won't kick myself for "backyard engineering" in a few months regarding the emissions removal/desmog.

Any honest direct and accurate advice is appreciated. I just don't want to spend tons of time trying to convert something that should be fairly straight forward in some regards.
70 1600 to 2000
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: 70 1600... painless de-smog process input appreciated

Post by greydog »

I think most will agree that the EI swap is the optimum setup.
As you suggest, you could drop in the '66 dizzy. You can add a Pertronix unit and hotter coil while at the same time, eliminating the ballast resistor.
I don't think the '66 carbs are setup for the fuel return so if you use those carbs, you'll want to use the fuel return system from the '70 setup. Or, if your '70 carbs are good, you can get ADQ needles from Keith (a vendor here), set the nozzles to the "magic number" and have a good idle and driveability. Kinda your choice there but I'd favor the '70 carbs unless there's a compelling reason for the older ones.
Then make sure your cooling system is working well and you should be good.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

According to your profile , you live where I live
And I "have emissions" you know good ol usa
Your post says any imput
And by parts slinger = tech /mech ?
Might run it by troop a inspec.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
justinmc89
Roadster Nut

Post by justinmc89 »

redroadster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm According to your profile , you live where I live
Your post says any imput
We have emissions laws... but no one puts a sniffer up the pipe and yes I work in the "industry" (but I am not a tech) so no I am not concerned about passing a visual check at a safety inspection either. And yes while I realize its a legal grey area that's why I am keeping all the smog gear in case I ever have to put it back. Highly unlikely.
70 1600 to 2000
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

If you are considering a U20 future, or just want to keep the 1600, a MSD 6AL box can be a nice upgrade. Available used or new and not hard to install. Your regular distributor can be used. I had an EI first then added it.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Just do the EI distributor installation (huge improvement over original) and change your needles and jets on the carbs and you are good to go.
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

justinmc89 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 am
redroadster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm According to your profile , you live where I live
Your post says any imput
We have emissions laws... but no one puts a sniffer up the pipe and yes I work in the "industry" (but I am not a tech) so no I am not concerned about passing a visual check at a safety inspection either. And yes while I realize its a legal grey area that's why I am keeping all the smog gear in case I ever have to put it back. Highly unlikely.
I was a MVI. er for 20 yrs , there is no gas test here on mvi , but emmiss. componant are part of it
The inspector is risking jail time and no license again so his job , I almost had mine pulled for 6 months over one I did 15 months before. It is lumped in with vehicle tampering a 10 yr fed. sentence if they want to go that route
Then there is the litigation part $10000-20000 in fines
Look on the epa's site on past yrs cases
A lot cleaner in a 2017 case had 5 lot vacuum trucks , only used to drive to the private prop lot and back
He had trouble getting parts for ecu etc so a mech suggested he just install stock GM carbs a year later state cops found out he went to trial amd was fined 80,000$ plus the 40000$ lawyer.
And in mo since 92 no swapping engines other than exactly as it came r16 for r16 only 3-4 domestic except
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

It sure makes a lot of sense, right? Replace a stock dizzy with an EI dizzy which burns WAY more of the nasties - and get jail time and/or fine for it. No good deed goes unpunished!
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
ted heaton
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ted heaton »

Some online regulation information from the Missouri DMV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection
Regulations Manual

Smog and Emissions Testing Exemptions
If you live outside of the MO counties that require smog checks, you are exempt for emissions testing requirements.

For residents of counties that do require smog tests, emissions inspection exemptions may include the following:

Vehicles manufactured in 1995 or earlier.
Vehicles with historic, school bus, shuttle bus, or street rod license plates.

Air Pollution Control Devices (11 CSR-2.280)
The inspection of air pollution control devices installed by the manufacturer will apply to 1968 and later model vehicles.

Effective July 1, 1992, all light-duty vehicles which are passenger vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) below six thousand pounds (6,000 lbs.) and commercial vehicles with a GVWR below eight thousand five hundred pounds (8,500 lbs.), which receive a replacement engine, in regard to all emissions related parts, engine design parameters and engine calibrations, must comply with the certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the vehicle chassis.
All 1968 and later model vehicles which received a replacement engine before July 1, 1992, must be equipped with all the air pollution control devices installed by the manufacturer on that particular engine.
Reject vehicle if:
ï‚· A replacement engine is not equivalent to the certified configuration of the engine-chassis
ï‚· Heavy-duty engine is used in a light-duty chassis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wording , "emission related parts, engine design parameters, engine calibrations, certified configuration", leave much room for interpretation
judging from online forum discussions.
I an sure our forum LAWYER , Mr BAKER, will clarify to keep all you "bad boy" desmoggers and redroadster out of jail.

Ted
Ted Heaton
Bellevue, Washington
DROPS (Datsun Roadster Owners of Puget Sound)
SPL31003054 1964 1500
SPL31112958 1967.5 1600 S15 SR20DET
SRL31105015 1968 2000 S13 SR20DET
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I was at a shop the other day getting an oil change (felt lazy) and noted a sign that said there would be no more emissions testing in WA State after 2020 for any vehicle.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

By here, I meant KC , yeah St louis area has had it for ever if they miss epa specs without trying to curb pollutants they loose fed highway funding
They get very little wind in summer,
We have had laser drive thru point that instantly
Read the exhaust
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
greydog

Post by greydog »

SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

jamesw wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:19 am Just do the EI distributor installation (huge improvement over original) and change your needles and jets on the carbs and you are good to go.
is the needles and jets only for the el swap or is it for the non smog swap ? I've just swapped out my distributer to non smog and reading to see what else is possibly needed for the flop .
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
justinmc89
Roadster Nut

Post by justinmc89 »

redroadster... MO MVI's are a joke. While back in your day they might have served a bit more of a purpose and people took them maybe a bit more seriously. These days even the lawmakers agree they are a joke. As a matter of fact if you look around you'll see that MO is voting now to eliminate them all together.

I got my inspection and will kindly keep the name and location of my inspector private lest an overzealous anti-desmogger such as yourself report me. ;)

Also if the law were to plainly read no engine swaps... there'd be a lot of hot rods, muscle cars (hell even my neighbors former slant six now 440ci) cars off the road. I have a LS1 swapped 240sx and have never had an issue. So I'll consider that point at rest as well. I've never been pulled over and asked to "can we check your smog equipment?". The highway patrol might take violations more seriously for commercial type vehicles but they do with almost every such fine. I had a friend who was ticketed driving between lots on a college campus he cleans with a street sweeper because he didn't have his seatbelt on when he crossed across the 2 lane street to the next lot.

That said... the items are removed... the inspection is passed.. the car is tagged... the world is a worse place for it I'm sure.
70 1600 to 2000
justinmc89
Roadster Nut

Post by justinmc89 »

Lorna c wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:36 am
jamesw wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:19 am Just do the EI distributor installation (huge improvement over original) and change your needles and jets on the carbs and you are good to go.
is the needles and jets only for the el swap or is it for the non smog swap ? I've just swapped out my distributer to non smog and reading to see what else is possibly needed for the flop .
This is the sort of information I was trying to get answered an consolidated into a single thread... then it got slightly hijacked. From what I can tell from other searches on here people say you need to change the needles when you anti smog as the type 70 needles in the smog carbs were designed for smog fueling.
70 1600 to 2000