General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

billkuma
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Military discount at Lowe's

Post by billkuma »

This may be old news to most....or not. Found out yesterday at a Lowe's in Seaford, DE that they have a 10% discount for military - active, reserves, and veterans and their immediate family members. It's a corporate-wide program. Need to go online and register. Identification can be by a card that they will send out or simply by phone number if you don't want to cram another card in your wallet. Been going to the Lowe's in Salisbury, MD for three decades and they never mentioned a veterans' discount.

Anyway, Lowe's also started reserving parking spaces for veterans near the front door some months ago - that's nice of them. The old cashier dude in DE yesterday told me about the discount and he looked like he served in WW I (he's probably not much older than I am). :shock: The county liquor store offers 10% discount to veterans as well. :mrgreen:

I know that many of us get some roadster restoration supplies at Lowe's, including sheet metal, so thought this might help our costs.
1968 Datsun 1600
1967 Datsun 1600
1960 A-H Bugeye Sprite
2019 Hyundai Ioniq (56.0 mpg! :D ), 2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
19' Bayliner 1952, 21' Bayliner 2150
Fisher 101 Ultralight (somewhere in the garage :? )
S Allen
Site Admin
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Military discount at Lowe's

Post by S Allen »

I have been using this for years. It usually pays for sales tax. When I found out Lowe's offered 10% military discount-I did ask Home Depot but was told they did not offer any discounts at first. I was helping our daughter with a home improvement project and asked again if they offered a military discount. This time I was told yes. You just have to show them some id at check-out. Since I retired from the Navy I use my retired military id. So, Home Depot also offers a 10% discount but there is no sign up. Pretty sure it is corporate wide.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
billkuma
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by billkuma »

Delaware doesn't have a sales tax, but Maryland is 6%, so I drive the same amount to DE if I'm buying a big ticket item, e.g., ZT mower, lots of building supplies, etc. Maryland will display veteran status on the back of a driver's license (if you prove your status) and that's good at the liquor store, some sushi restaurants :D , etc.

Thanks, Steve. I'll check out the local Home Depot also.

Bill
1968 Datsun 1600
1967 Datsun 1600
1960 A-H Bugeye Sprite
2019 Hyundai Ioniq (56.0 mpg! :D ), 2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
19' Bayliner 1952, 21' Bayliner 2150
Fisher 101 Ultralight (somewhere in the garage :? )
Roadster Fanatic

Post by #009 »

For CA residents, for an additional $5, you can have a veteran designation added to your Driver's License. You have to go to your local Veteran Service Office first to obtain a verification form. I've used the discount at Home Depot, Lowes and other establishments.
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

The problem I have with Lowe's program is that you have to give your personal information to their marketing wanks. It is a marketing program not as appreciation for veterans. This changed a year or so ago. Home Depot and other stores all you need to do is show your ID, they don't collect your personal information.