General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Honda Dream Garage?!?

Post by jrusso07 »

Just saw a TV comercial for Honda Dream Garage, all the Honda cars on platforms and such in the background.

What? Did Nissan give up rights to the concept.

Honda dream garage? Do those words go together in the same sentence?
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Honda Dream Garage?!?

Post by Gregs672000 »

They should just cut direct to the Nissan commercial and say something like "What a Honda dreams about becoming..." 😆
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

Hodo tried hard to get Kia to sell them the sportage and re badge it
Im surprized they didnt put the jet they were trying to make go in it too.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
goldbug
Roadster Fanatic

Post by goldbug »

Honda may argue the Nissan Dream Garage is much emptier in the "mowers and power equipment" corner...

but truthfully, I can probably count on one hand how many Hondas/Acuras I'd have in a "dream garage"

... NSX, .... maybe a Repsol bike?
1969 SRL311 (resto project)
2013 Golf R (hers)
2014 Corvette
2015 SS (daily, Holden-mode)
greydog

Post by greydog »

Sort of a typical Honda move isn't it? "Borrow" someone else's concept, change it slightly and act as though it was your idea all along.
I've owned many Hondas bikes from a 250 scrambler in college to Gold Wings. They were all solid/reliable machines but I loved my Z1R. There's nothing really wrong with Hondas (well, except fo the debacle with Mclaren) they just seem sort of uninspired.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Post by jrusso07 »

goldbug wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 pm Honda may argue the Nissan Dream Garage is much emptier in the "mowers and power equipment" corner...

but truthfully, I can probably count on one hand how many Hondas/Acuras I'd have in a "dream garage"

... NSX, .... maybe a Repsol bike?
I think I saw a push mower and a power washer in the honda dream garage.

Nothing against Honda, just get a new ad agency with original ideas...
Last edited by jrusso07 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Nissan made guided missiles , fridges , construction equip.
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

I love my Datsuns but Nissan really hasn't been a company with vision and innovation since the 60's 70s. This might not be popular but Nissan cars became bloated and targeted to the American luxury market instead of the innovation and performance roots that started it's success and the vision of Mr. K in the 60s 70s. They really haven't supported the older cars very well at all hence the difficultly with parts etc. for our older cars. Honda is and always has been a company that has pushed innovation. They were racing in Formula 1 in the 60s. They have always pressed the envelope with innovation; high output small bore engines, CVCC, VTEC, efficient front wheel drive platforms, aluminum bodies, hybrids before hybrids were cool (the original Insight), the NSX, S2000, etc. I'm a dyed in the wool Datsun fan but don't diss Honda without thinking about all the technological advanced thinking they have done over the years that has passed down into the industry.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Unger on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Unger
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

"high output small bore engines:"

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/blog ... rc166-icon

Jon
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

Yes, those bike and F1 engines were amazing.
Mike Unger
bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by bobd »

Mike Unger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:34 pm I love my Datsuns but Nissan really hasn't been a company with vision and innovation since the 60's 70s. This might not be popular but Nissan cars became bloated and targeted to the American luxury market instead of the innovation and performance roots that started it's success and the vision of Mr. K in the 60s 70s. They really haven't supported the older cars very well at all hence the difficultly with parts etc. for our older cars. Honda is and always has been a company that has pushed innovation. They were racing in Formula 1 in the 60s. They have always pressed the envelope with innovation; high output small bore engines, CVCC, VTEC, efficient front wheel drive platforms, aluminum bodies, hybrids before hybrids were cool (the original Insight), the NSX, S2000, etc. I'm a dyed in the wool Datsun fan but don't diss Honda without thinking about all the technological advanced thinking they have done over the years that has passed down into the industry.

Mike
Between the motorcycles and the cars, I worked at Honda dealers for 30 years. I guess the experience is what makes all Honda's intuitive to me. I find the manuals easier to navigate than most and the interchangeability of parts makes for some fun experimentation.

The roadster allows me to tickle different brain cells.
'69 1600 with SR20DE
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Post by jrusso07 »

The only "dish" I have for Honda, and it's light hearted, is their ad company couldn't come up with an original ad concept. Maybe they need to spread some of their technical innovation to their marketing team
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Mike Unger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:34 pm I love my Datsuns but Nissan really hasn't been a company with vision and innovation since the 60's 70s. This might not be popular but Nissan cars became bloated and targeted to the American luxury market instead of the innovation and performance roots that started it's success and the vision of Mr. K in the 60s 70s. They really haven't supported the older cars very well at all hence the difficultly with parts etc. for our older cars. Honda is and always has been a company that has pushed innovation. They were racing in Formula 1 in the 60s. They have always pressed the envelope with innovation; high output small bore engines, CVCC, VTEC, efficient front wheel drive platforms, aluminum bodies, hybrids before hybrids were cool (the original Insight), the NSX, S2000, etc. I'm a dyed in the wool Datsun fan but don't diss Honda without thinking about all the technological advanced thinking they have done over the years that has passed down into the industry.

Mike
Nissan made VVT engines in the 90's ...infinity
the cycle division has not much to do with the car , different engineers ,just under one brand name .
Mitsu makes /made planes ...MU2 , all kinds of electronics , ship building for a while , components for all Asian rides ...etc.
I wonder how much $$ was lost on the 311 , auto flagships are noted for being money pits , the Mitsu 3000 gt was a $300,000,000 plus looser ( per a trainer at Chicago, they spend 3 weeks a year in Japan @ the factorys ) and the Eclipse was not a great money maker too ....I was surprised.
at a auto trans class a student wondered why more imports were not using the truck auto type trans like Hondo , it reportedly was a money pit for Honda thru the 90's as this trainer stated ... I can attest they had many stuck in the shop
the dealership charges the factory for labor and marks up parts ,not as much as CP but still gets $$$
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11