General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

something about bigger tires and 3pc steer.column

Post by redroadster »

Just a story ,some here may want to hear.
I started my auto tech career at a Datsun /Nissan dealer in 76 I worked on roadsters some ,before 1980 ,until the late 80's
one day our DSM (district Service Mang.) was out in the shop very dressed up , and talking to a few of the long time techs, then he came over and was going to speak with me later in the day.
This was the 2nd time he was around in the month and usually he was in a sport shirt .
I soon found out that a customer that these techs knew fairly well ,had been in a very serious accident in his 69 or 70 311 ,SPL I think.

The story I heard was he was driving in the rural highways and on a sweeping long right hand curve, he lost control and hit a car head on the left side.
the 3 piece steering column did not do it's job and he was impaled by it about 3.5 inches in his L pec area to the lung , they think he was going 30-35 at impact. according to the other driver who at the last minute tried to steer to the right all he could ,this Datsun was not speeding , he just all of a sudden veered Left. I heard the man died weeks later ,and a lawyer was suing the dealer over it and Datsun.

I had aligned the car months before. talking to the DSM he asked what specs I set them at ,I said as close to the recommended as could be attained,
The Service Manager told that he believed the accident was caused by a slick road , from high humidity and he had gone thru a patch that was in the shade and had a bit of debris, and pollen of this tree. Datsun had looked at the 311 and it had after market wide tires ...radials ,they were replaced after my alignment.

A week later Datsun had a 2 page stapled info sheet that we were to give to roadster owners and 240Z owners telling of possible slipping on such a road from the aftermarket wider tires and wheels , there is a much less downforce per square inch from the original narrow tires.

Also if a such car came in with the very padded horn button that these two cars had missing or damaged ,we were to push the customer to buy one at a reduced price , I think they even gave them to some people who did not /could not buy them
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
justinmc89
Roadster Nut

Re: something about bigger tires and 3pc steer.column

Post by justinmc89 »

Insert "No airbags; we die like men" comment........

Seriously though I think at this point one of these cars vs. almost anything modern is going to end badly for the roadster driver. I look at it like riding a motorcycle.. 100% of my safety is on me.

That bulletin from Datsun sounds like the old "We're not responsible if you modify your car"

Noticed you are in KCMO... which dealer did you work for?
70 1600 to 2000
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I wonder if the worm gear in the steering box broke. Heard a story from an owner who said his car lost control after exiting the freeway, turned out to be the box.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Raytown
Also I meant to add with no shoulder and cars ran off the road and dust drifted on it
I think it should be taken into account when building some of the rides here ...sr20 ...etc
Btw the top of the column from the surgery was in a pic
The 3pc columns were not doing as much as it should ,in later yrs they used a split sleeve , so corrosion would not affect it as much
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

I have seen hundreds of Datsun service bulletins over the years, but never have seen anything like Redroadster describes.

I can remember lots of variations dealing with the plastic coating on the brake lines, wiring issues with the AMP gauge, but nothing steering related.

If you can provide that document (if it exists), I certainly would like to read it.

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000

Post by garth »

I have 15x6.5" wheels up front with 205/65 Yokohama S Drives. The combination's grip performance is more than I will ever need as a moderately aggressive driver. I've tested the car in rain and feel more comfortable in sharp turns than I do driving my heavy AWD SUV. That being said, I drive with cautious appreciation of the roadster's light weight construction and the laws of physics!

I am interested in what our competitive drivers have to report.
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I have a 67.5 with a death spear, no doubt. Life is a fraction of a second. There's a necessary focus that is required when driving our classic cars at high rates of speed, or any speed. I've had a couple of free passes in my 34 years of Roadster life, some by the response of the Car to what I asked of it when I most needed it, others by the grace of God. Be careful and aware out there, no matter what you drive.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

I run with scissors, but then...I understand the risk AND accept responsibility for MY actions!
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

spriso wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:26 pm I have seen hundreds of Datsun service bulletins over the years, but never have seen anything like Redroadster describes.

I can remember lots of variations dealing with the plastic coating on the brake lines, wiring issues with the AMP gauge, but nothing steering related.

If you can provide that document (if it exists), I certainly would like to read it.

Michael
I would like to see the amp gauge one and any other wiring ones.

BTW, I bought you a set of teardrop bases. I'll let you know when I get them.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Redroadster wrote:
I think it should be taken into account when building some of the rides here ...sr20 ...etc
Thank goodness the SR20-series engines are lighter than the stock U20s, otherwise this might have kept me up at night... :roll:

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
SR20 Powered Roadsters
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Curtis wrote:
I would like to see the amp gauge one and any other wiring ones.
I did a quick search in the office here to see if they were on my bookshelf, but no luck yet-- I did find some dealer announcements stuff on adding the factory air conditioning to a PL510, and an announcement for a wood-grain kit for a Datsun 610 wagon, but no roadster stuff (yet). I'll keep digging to see if I can find them-- I saved a ton of that stuff from one of our dealership clean outs years ago.

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
SR20 Powered Roadsters
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

theunz wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:20 am I run with scissors, but then...I understand the risk AND accept responsibility for MY actions!
+1
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
Daryl Smith
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

"A week later Datsun had a 2 page stapled info sheet that we were to give to roadster owners and 240Z owners telling of possible slipping on such a road from the aftermarket wider tires and wheels , there is a much less downforce per square inch from the original narrow tires. "

No comment on the steering column, but, maybe a little better description of "such a road" might be helpful, but, then again maybe not. The ONLY instance I can think of where a narrow (as defined by "original tires") would be helpful would be gas milage. Aside from that, within reason, a wider tire will help handling on almost all road surfaces. Todays tires are SO MUCH better than those of the '60s and '70s that there is no comparison whatsoever, better handling, better braking, better milage, regardless of road conditions, regardless of 2 or 3 tire sizes wider. jmo
greydog

Post by greydog »

What Daryl said.
Add inflation, wear, drivers ability, etc.
Sorry this happened but I'm not worried about i
Dant
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

spriso wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:59 pm Redroadster wrote:
Thank goodness the SR20-series engines are lighter than the stock U20s, otherwise this might have kept me up at night... :roll:

Michael
LOL we are talking that in certain instances the 311 does not have enough bulk/weight to support using a tire with 60-80 % more tread area ....and you think lighter is the answer.

Guess none of you never drove on nearly new asphalt with a mist of rain ...you should try it ,,,,drive fast too. try racing a mnt. bike like a racing bike on a curvy road too . ever use a riding lawn mower ? & turn those wide tires ( so as not to track the soil when damp) only to have it drag you under the fence as it never turned with you ....I have ...its hard to push in the clutch when the fence is pushing back . some old guys put wheel barrow tires on narrower rims to not have it happen to them ...again

Ever hear of the light Dragster NHRA wrecks with the light Rail dragsters of the 70s? lots of dead and injured there, the 3500 lb rails not as much a problem.

Anyone old enough to remember the Cooper Metric tires? in 77 or 78 I/we @ the dealer put them on Datsuns by the truck load , they had a unique tread ...big 2-2.5 inch blocks ,not like half in. tread. then it was discovered they were dangerous as F%^K we had customers coming in the drive that did not turn and hit our wall on the slick concrete.
This was not new asphalt , I understood, but not old
BTW I have 185's on mine , but then very careful when and where I drive ....just saying, I think this guy was trying to be too
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11