General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Rallye enterprises email!

Post by Linusrp »

Yesterday I received a products order from Rallye that I originally placed in late December. In their defense, they stated they were waiting on some heater cables to arrive before shipping my order. I was glad to see the parts arrive and know they are still processing orders. Communication is still slower than prior experience, but they are still open!
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
mikeb
Site Supporter

Post by mikeb »

FYI, verbatim from the Dann's website (click on the scrap link) - read the last paragraph...I get it.
I like Dann and have always had good experiences dealing with him.

OCTOBER 2018 UPDATE
We have amassed an uncontrollably large pile of parts over the past 46 years. If you saw the full extent of it you would probably walk off muttering "that guy needs some serious help...MEDICAL help". I've spent a few years chipping away at the number of storage locations we are using; our own properties; friends (or former friend's) places, slightly abused relatives etc. etc. etc. I've been able to close out some buildings and locations but it is an immense task.

It is hard to look at getting rid of parts that seemingly not long ago I would have gone and brought here or someplace; and again; seemingly not long before that would have PAID FOR.

We aren't planning on stopping this train; although I've muttered about it for years I just can't see it happening; but we are going to push to downsize our storage needs. (It is the used parts; especially big or heavy parts that are the primary task; the hastened departure of new parts will come later.) My longstanding belief that someone will need that ugly part because we are all out of better ones or they want to do work on the part themselves or that some part has to be saved as a core for rebuilding is finally changing and I actually have started SCRAPPING parts. It hasn't been much of a priority; but this change of thinking is increasing weekly.

I'd like to do this in an orderly fashion but sometimes I have a feeling that all of a sudden I'm just going to scrap stuff en masse within a very short time period.

Because of this; if the decision to do so does happen before I can even make a much of a website notice; and you want to learn of it; it is important to make sure we have your current email address; and also that you have sent some sort of statement that it is OK for us to send unsolicited email. We have only sent one in 20 years so it is not something we do very often! I can't guarantee I'll even do this.

We are of course starting with the worst of any part which compared to what guys consider a "good" part for a 1940 Ford are FABULOUS parts!

We probably have 15% of used parts showing on the website. Honestly; I believe we are still sitting on about 40 tons of used metal. I guess I am saying that if you want something; if you are flexible about the condition (or not) you may have a good chance of coming up with something at a great price. There are a lot of things we just have not had time to photo and put up; things where condition are important. We are working on improving on that but as time goes on I just may send the used parts to their final reward. I am so behind on so many life projects. I'll bet a lot of you are too. Rick Mattos told me once; there are two dates, DEATH and RETIREMENT. You get to choose one.

The used parts do not usually carry the acquisition costs of the new. They carry some storage costs which are getting worse; but we will constantly be looking to see if the cost of a particular used part can be skimmed down.

We try to list used parts in all kinds of conditions; some people want that. I realize that some of you look at that and must say "Why is he putting THAT up on the website"...well not everyone is looking to build a museum piece or a show car; they just want an old roadster to drive around; or maybe are putting together a 2nd one to sell to finance their primary car's costs. We've sold parts EVEN I don't know why someone would buy! I don't particularly like selling really awful parts; a lot of car businesses don't even deal with USED parts AT ALL.

It is also difficult for me as a lifetime car guy; who has spent untold amounts of time turning over rocks and battling bees and spiders in old sheds in hopes of finding something wonderful to just toss out a part. (I'm getting over that.)

I didn't want to leave you with the impression that I'm at the point where I'm going to trash everything without continuing to try to sell it or with some of the stuff at least trying to find a good home for it. I retain an overall fondness for the car and most of the "roadster collective" out there. I will say though that I have seen some odd decisions made by the owners of various types of businesses. I think running a business is kind of like a ride; like a Merry-Go-Round or a Roller Coaster where you do not have control over the speed or the duration. Lots of fun but sometimes you just want to slow it down or just jump off. Just saying that sometimes certain events; like yet another old friend or associate passing away makes me want to look at some other adventures I have put off.

thanks

Dann at Rallye
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

mikeb wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:35 pm Just saying that sometimes certain events; like yet another old friend or associate passing away makes me want to look at some other adventures I have put off.

thanks

Dann at Rallye
This getting old is a bitch. Makes me think it's time to enjoy the roadster by driving it more instead of tinkering with it and changing parts. I've been on the hunt for certain parts I keep thinking I need to make it better, when all the time I just need to drive it, love it and enjoy the ride to the end. Thanks Dann for the insight and permission to go to the next level, although I do indeed enjoy the hunt!
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Being around friends and acquaintances who run their own business, it has always struck me how often people don't understand that "being your own boss" is no walk in the park... There's no time off, sick leave, maternity or bereavement leave, etc... you work, or no money, period. I believe Rallye is Dann and his wife, that's it. He must be getting a bit older now, as I remember going out to his place in Graham in my 20's and I'm thinking Dann was in his late 30s to early 40s or so. I have no idea what would become of all that stuff when he moves on. The last time I saw a Roadster parts collector go out of business, it resulted in the scrapping of tons of good parts, including U20 heads, cranks, blocks etc. I was lucky enough to have gotten there early, as I got all my now rare Comp parts from him, including the full suspension, a nearly new late set of Mikuni carbs, the manifold and a B cam for a song. Maybe Dann and the local group DROPS should get together to see if something can be done to help him as well as to get some good parts out there at a good price, with maybe a "finders fee" to help motivate the effort. I'm available.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Red Roadster
Forum Newb

Post by Red Roadster »

Same problem for me too! Crickets! Can spend money on crickets. I own my own business and can make the time to take down website if no longer is business, from what's been posted here it sounds like Dann has lost interest, but I guess we'll never know.
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

Yes, I placed an order around the first of this month and didn’t get a response until the 9th that said they got the order and will let me know when it ships. Now more than a week later no response to my additional order status inquiries. I guess I should feel good compared to other stories in this thread but I simply won’t be able to use them again. Wish I had seen this thread before I ordered.
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

MattC wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:11 pm Yes, I placed an order around the first of this month and didn’t get a response until the 9th that said they got the order and will let me know when it ships. Now more than a week later no response to my additional order status inquiries. I guess I should feel good compared to other stories in this thread but I simply won’t be able to use them again. Wish I had seen this thread before I ordered.
I placed an order back on the 2nd and haven’t heard a peep. I know he tries to ship Tuesday-Thursday, this week will will be the 2nd go-through since coming out of his 1st-5th dead period. If I don’t get some communication by Friday I guess I’ll be firing off an email.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Feel sorry for Rallye, I know it is hard to keep up these days. But that is what has allowed Amazon and eBay to grow---competition, fast shipping, warranty etc. Except for the fact that Rallye has some parts no one else has.
Well at least he still exists as a business.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

I've been in direct sales for over 40 years for the same company. Have seen reps in my company and competitors loose their stellar reputation by neglecting to provide the service and consideration they built that reputation on as they get closer to retirement. Health, family, and other issues can add to the day-to-day irritations of maintaining a business dealing with the public. I'm now semi-retired, and dealing only with long term accounts. When I feel I can no longer provide what my customer have gotten from me in the past, I will know it's time to hang it up. I Wish Dann and his wife the best, they have been a tremendous resource for our cars with parts and knowledge. Pat
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

I sent another email last night with the threat of cancelling the order which got a response nearly right away. Supposedly a few of my parts are in one of their other warehouses and they are hoping to get them today. We shall see.
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Anybody have the latest word about Rallye?
Sent a couple of e-mails about some parts, have not received a reply.
rwmann
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by rwmann »

Can recall similar 'conversations' ... in the mid-1980s...
Cllishof

Post by Cllishof »

I just had a fuse box sent from them. Ordered Sunday received Wednesday. Chris
AZhitman
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by AZhitman »

I run three businesses supplying parts to Datsun enthusiasts... I 100% understand the challenges and hassles of maintaining a business, especially online.

However, that's no excuse for not maintaining the website, which is everyone's first impression, or communicating promptly, which is a close second impression. That 1991 website desperately needs work, and the walls of text are frustrating and absurd - almost as much so as the agonizing ordering process.

It's unfortunate, because I'm sure they could clear out their available stock with a quickness if it wasn't so difficult to place an order. In 2021, you simply cannot expect customers to jump through a ton of hoops to hand over their money, when so many other companies are making it quicker, easier, and less painful.

Best of luck to Dann & Co, but I suppose I'll look for the $40 part I need elsewhere. :(
67.5 SPL311 stroker
67 WRL411 SSS stroker
63 NL320
72 S30 RB25DET
63 RHD Bluebird
68 510 Sedan SR20DE
77 620KC
87 D21
92 SE-R
98 S14
12 Titan

Datsun Forum
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

I'd hesitate to judge somebody you don't know, or their situation. Dann has always had a valid website, maybe not so much lately. There are lots of us willing to help, if accepted. Pat