General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Cold Air Intake for SR20DE

Post by Bigtaku »

Hi peoples, I could use some help figuring out how to set up my cold air intake for my SR20DE S14 into my Datsun. I think I am over thinking it but the brain just can't wrap around it.
I can go to Ebay and get the cheapo https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-RED-95-98- ... ctupt=true
but looking at the hood arms and the horn mounts it looks it won't fit. I have looked at every picture I could find on this site and read everything there is and haven't found much of anything useful.
I guess I could hire someone to figure it out for me but sure would like to figure this one out with your help first.
Thanks in advance
Michael Montez
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Re: Cold Air Intake for SR20DE

Post by Alvin »

The engine swap section has tons of information, and pictures.

Lots of ways to route your air intake, but nothing off the shelf made for late model cars will work (bolt-in) in your roadster.

For example, on Bob (by spriso):
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5128&start=30

Depending on how you want it to look, get some hoses/silicone couplers and a few radiuses. Or simply have a tube bent/welded to shape:

Shannon's S13:

Eddie's S15

Jason's S13:

Kevin's S14:

Spriso's
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Thank you, I needed to hear "nothing off the shelf will work" I will quit looking for the bolt on and start getting creative. Great photo computation Alvin! You have helped me again
Michael Montez
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

I got a couple of PVC 90 degree fittings and a slip coupler to go between them. After mounting the MAF on the radiator core support, used this set up to make a template for the aluminum part needed. Had to buy cast aluminum 90's because the tubing 90's were not a tight enough angle. Had a local boat builder weld it up along with the bung necessary. Lotsa head scratching on this part.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Initially I looked for an aluminum donut. Couldnt find any in the size. So I ended up getting the 180 bend.
I found the 3” donut for the air filter side. I removed the the horn bracket. Clears the hinge by 1/8”.
Gets pretty tight with the addition of clamps and couplings. Straight boot off the maf and a reducer boot to the plenum.
Yes creative.
I was trying to keep the radiator fan turbulance from interfering with the air filter. Not sure if it really matters tho at 7200 rpm .)
download/file.php?id=9588&mode=view
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by bobd »

This was a big head scratcher for me as well. Not having a tig and too cheap to pay someone to make one of those beautiful tubes, I finally got some exhaust pipe and made the world's ugliest intake tube with my mig.

Ugly, but it works!
'69 1600 with SR20DE
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

bobd wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:53 am This was a big head scratcher for me as well. Not having a tig and too cheap to pay someone to make one of those beautiful tubes, I finally got some exhaust pipe and made the world's ugliest intake tube with my mig.

Ugly, but it works!
8 out of ten times ill take function over form!
Nice swap btw.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

I finally found a local welding company to fabricate my cold air intake tubes. What do I need to tell them about flex? I found several rubber 2.75" to 2.5" reducers on amazon. I'm sure they must flex different from each other and was wondering if I need to worry about that. Also, I saved the four bolt metal MAF mounting bracket from the plastic housing on the OEM box and was wondering if anyone used it to mount their MAF to the passenger side radiator wall. This bracket has a 3.25" ring to start the 90 degree turn for the filter. If this isn't how you did it, how did you mount the MAF to the wall and how did you connect the 90 degree tube? I'm sure we can come up with something that works but I do not see any pictures of the fwd side of the wall where they connect.
Michael Montez