General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: clutch and brakes ongoing

Post by mraitch »

if you use air pressure, aim the piston at a towel or other soft landing, so as not to damage it!
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

its stuck . I had it out and I cant get it again . only the outside drivers one . it may be toast ! cars down for 2 weeks now :-( I wanna cry.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

it won't move . not even twist . got the others done I think . I have the other outside one to check though . it was the other tuff one .. I'm going to take it off and see if it moves still or stuck too . I think I may need new ones though . definitely something .. ugh this sucks . it looks like it came in through the lines whatever crudded it up . there was a pile down at the hole on both outside ones . well all of them but the outside got the worst of it ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

if anyone has changed theirs out , or rebuilt some please help . I buy them from u I'm in need of two outside piston housings (,calipers ?I thought that was a measuring tool)..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

found one on Ebay... never mind .

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:58 pm it won't move . not even twist . got the others done I think . I have the other outside one to check though . it was the other tuff one .. I'm going to take it off and see if it moves still or stuck too . I think I may need new ones though . definitely something .. ugh this sucks . it looks like it came in through the lines whatever crudded it up . there was a pile down at the hole on both outside ones . well all of them but the outside got the worst of it ..

You are right Lorna, it comes in through the lines. The brake fluid absorbs moisture, and it is heavier than the brake fluid, so in between uses the water will partially separate out and keep making its way to the lowest point which is the outside cylinder. The same thing happened to mine while it was sitting, and it is happening to everyone else. That is why I keep bringing up the need to bleed the brakes annually to get the water out.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:02 pm if anyone has changed theirs out , or rebuilt some please help . I buy them from u I'm in need of two outside piston housings (,calipers ?I thought that was a measuring tool)..
Lorna, the parts that you need are called the wheel CYLINDERS. they attach to the caliper. The cylinders are sometimes erroneously called calipers.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:25 pm found one on Ebay... never mind .
Lorna, be sure that the ones that you found are the outers. The outside are different from the inside. And costlier.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
Ford F-350 6.0
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Always a good idea to do a lot of reading first to see what others have done, so hoping you did that, so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel, haha, you know.
You need a kit to put the cylinders back together, if it is pitted it probably won’t seal.ATF has been used to help the cylinder separate. If the pin is really bent you need a new cylinder. Karp’s Power Brake relines the cylinders in stainless, so no rust. Brake tubes are easy to cross thread and install incorrectly..
My experience:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11825#p85334
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 pm
Lorna c wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:58 pm it won't move . not even twist . got the others done I think . I have the other outside one to check though . it was the other tuff one .. I'm going to take it off and see if it moves still or stuck too . I think I may need new ones though . definitely something .. ugh this sucks . it looks like it came in through the lines whatever crudded it up . there was a pile down at the hole on both outside ones . well all of them but the outside got the worst of it ..

You are right Lorna, it comes in through the lines. The brake fluid absorbs moisture, and it is heavier than the brake fluid, so in between uses the water will partially separate out and keep making its way to the lowest point which is the outside cylinder. The same thing happened to mine while it was sitting, and it is happening to everyone else. That is why I keep bringing up the need to bleed the brakes annually to get the water out.
- so what's good to soak the lines in ? atf ? is this happening in the lines also ? (this goo) or only inside the piston area ? and I will start an annual bleeding thing with the brakes .. that'll be a new year treat for my car every year .

- and idk what's up but they seem to be the exact same except the bleeder valve . now why are they different ?
or are mine totally messed up and wrong? (the cylinders )

- oh and I have now a mechanic that knows old cars that is going to sit with me and help me go through some stuff.
wHoOhOo for me . now all my stupid questions can be answered by a human next to me ... haha hopefully this will slow down my activity on here ... cross fingers .. And most importantly , I'll learn way faster this way . . yeah for teachers . I need one . .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 pm Always a good idea to do a lot of reading first to see what others have done, so hoping you did that, so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel, haha, you know.
You need a kit to put the cylinders back together, if it is pitted it probably won’t seal.ATF has been used to help the cylinder separate. If the pin is really bent you need a new cylinder. Karp’s Power Brake relines the cylinders in stainless, so no rust. Brake tubes are easy to cross thread and install incorrectly..
My experience:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11825#p85334
Linda
haha , I try to but that requires sitting . I'm not a good sitter but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to try to do different for an easier softer way . .

--somehow I didn't manage to bend any pins . the seals are good on 3 out of 4 so I have a new coming.
the atf I'm going to use on the stuck one to see if it'll get this baby open .

-- I will be hitting the bearings with grease and whatever else should be done while my Rumble is down and wheels off . I'm only on the front wheels too . haha it sure affected the steering with the brakes sticking randomly lately . I flipped my fuel pump and haven't been able to drive it because I couldn't steer well . . I wonder how my power will be without my brakes on all the time ..haha vrummmmm yessssss I didn't think of that .
and yes , I see u had fun too with your brakes . thanks for the thread .

spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

The differences in the piston packs are the machining where the lines/bleeder go. They don't interchange.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

spl310 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:20 am The differences in the piston packs are the machining where the lines/bleeder go. They don't interchange.
oh no then .. how can I tell them apart ? mine be all mixed up now

Carvajalrn
Forum Newb

Post by Carvajalrn »

What kind of fluid do I add in clutch resovoiur?
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Lorna c wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:38 pm oh no then .. how can I tell them apart ? mine be all mixed up now

Roadsters use both inverted and bubble flairs on the brake lines of the calipers.

You will need to look them up on the internet and become familiar so you can look at both the lines and caliper to sort them out.

If you screw the bubble flair into the inverted fitting it will ruin the brake line.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bu ... &FORM=IGRE
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB