clutch and brakes ongoing

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: clutch and brakes ongoing

Post by Lorna c »

ooh maybe I can take my windshield out this time ! I have fresh rubber for the window .. .. I'd like to pop the she'll off and paint but I've had to kick some people away and out lately .when tools start coming up missing that's it . don't mess with my tools . I need my tools . but there went my strong arms for now . but it's not just popping off a she'll either . I'm sure it's a day to get it ready to pop off which would take me 3 ( just cuz it does ) and 5 to get it all back . plus paint . that's 2 weeks down . noooo noooo not this time of year or ever . . I bought this car to drive and drive and drive and have fun .. ok I'm rambling now so over and out till slave comes in ..
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok so . since I had to wait for the new so long I've fixed the old ( that's a year new .) I noticed some speckeled rust on the area where the rubber ring moves with rod and I say to myself , now what can cause these to fail? I think and look and say to myself , basically this rubber has to wear out and drip ,Or , rust can cause voids between them and make it leak . or , you stripped out the connections and air is coming in there like the master . well I think , I didn't do that down here so , ring worn or rust is causing it so.... since I still didn't have new yet this morning I took off leaking slave and grab fine sandpaper. poor gas inside and with sandpaper around index finger I gently sand off the rust all nice and clean , set it back up, filled up top then looked below . . hummm no drips so I hook up speed bleeder and bled till bubbles we're gone along with working air out air from both cylinders also. . still no dripps . so I pump inside cab expecting it to go flat but there's good resistance . I look under again , no dripps still . humm , so cleared away tools and took it for a test drive . shifted amazing ..I've always had a grind in second gear and less I was going like a perfect speed but not anymore.. clutch feels great and so do the breaks both holding firmness all day.. so I'm returning both slave and master Because I don't need them anymore ..haha it'll cost me shipping on one of them but the other goes to AutoZone so ... YESSSSSS ! fixed .
now my emergency brakes work and never have before my brake brakes work better than they ever have before and my clutch is working better than it has before ! whoOhOo three steps forward ! I wonder what the two back will be ..haha that's all folks . no more ongoing ! and thanks for everything everyone . YESSSSSS

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Thank God.
Did you actually buy some speed bleeders?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:17 pm Thank God.
Did you actually buy some speed bleeders?
Linda

yes ma'am I did ..

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Have to give you credit for persevering! Though it seems like a torturous path sometimes! :wink:
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 am Have to give you credit for persevering! Though it seems like a torturous path sometimes! :wink:
Linda
yeah , and doesn't it make the victory that much better too .! :-)

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

if it's difficult , I'm game . I may pout for a second but as soon as something else hits me , or told to me , that I can try . fatigue goes away and I'm refocused on next "try" .. that's what's so addicting about this . the "next try" you do could be what fixes it , and u don't know till...and if it's late , it'll bug me all night till I can hit it again..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

does anyone have a picture of the slave installed in it's resting position by any chance ?? I did have a slow air leak in the old one I had I noticed I had to pump it each morning but not again until next morning or two . anyway I put the new one on it's stock with the spring ? ( I believe it's stock with spring hookup)?? anyway ..it's almost , no it is working opposite of what I had on there before .. I don't get it myself but ..it is .. so I'm curious now if I ever had it hooked up correctly at all , ever .. anyway that's why I need a picture of a slave installed at resting position so I can compare ..
I wonder how it worked before if I was backwards ?? any one ?? pls

RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by RustBucket »

Here's a picture of mine....
ClutchSlave.jpg
Rustbucket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

RustBucket wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:15 am Here's a picture of mine....

ClutchSlave.jpg

Rustbucket
ok question , where's your spring ? it sits caulked back with the spring on . or something different , it brings the slave pulled back or pushed in . i had that kind( the kind you have ) before this one with spring spot .. idk how important it is to have it brought all the way back in or if it only needs to push the fork that drops down from transmission. . I guess it dosen't matter how it pushes it , only that it does . maybe .. ok . the reverse movement looks like half movement actually . or whatever , I know what I mean and it answers my question ... haha thank you . . unless someone reads this and knows I'm backwards or wrong and tells me , I think I have mine right now . it's been working well all day . I always had a small grind in 2ed gear but I don't anymore so that's an improvement .plus clutch feels great . . the spring sure gives allot of tention I wasn't sure if I had it bled or not nut it's running well . knock on wood . I'm sure I can mess something up if I tried ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oh check your carbs also . the connecting rods that hook up to the needle plunger and throttle lever part . the only way I found mine were bent and engaging the chokes half way was to remove that bottom screw to the plunger and let the lever stay hooked to spring .. mine went abot 2", backwards to their true resting spot . then hooking them back up wasn't possible unless the plunger came down to meet lever connect rod thing .. .. that makes allot of things almost impossible to tune in ..haha and way too much gas can rob your power too . and keep the carbs from ever really setting right and staying right .. that one only took a year or more to find out about ..haha luckly I had the spring hooked up stull when I removed that screw ..or I'd have never seen it .. , it was not dropping the plunger, or whatever went through my head , thinking things were fine .. but it was pulling the lever forward a bunch ... on that day it snapped back. then I .asked on here , would this cause any issues ? and I was told , why yes , yes it would cause a few issues ....... haha now it's FIXED . a year ..haha what ya don't know eh .

RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by RustBucket »

Sorry was out of town. I didn't put a spring between the fork and slave. The pressure plate seems to have plenty pressure to push the slave back in. I like the light pressure on the clutch pedal. I have had the situation where there was clutch pressure on the clutch slave when it was fully retracted and for whatever reason the clutch slave kind of locked up and wouldn't actuate. It was fixed by just adjusting the adjuster nut a little bit to loosen it.
My pedal does have a slightly ovalized hole that Linda spoke about. I thought about bushing it, but that's as far as I got with it. It works fine as is and I assume if yours is the same it will also work fine (depending on how much it was ovalized).
Glad you got your working.
Rustbucket
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

THIS IS WRONG WRONG WRONG
This is for bleeding brakes not a clutch.
The clutch is gravity bleed....Just fill the M/C and crack the bleeder until you get some fluid.

RustBucket wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:58 am Just air in the line. Not too hard to correct. Most easily done with two people.
1.Hook a clear hose to the bleed screw of the slave.
2.Make sure master reservoir is full.
3.Open slave bleed1/4 turn or so to just crack open
4.Have helper depress clutch pedal and hold down
5.Close slave bleed screw.
6.Have helper release clutch pedal.
7.Repeat steps 3-6 until no air comes out.
If you loop the clear hose up a little it is easier to see the air coming out.
You can achieve the same thing with gravity and without pumping the pedal, but it takes significantly longer.
Just be sure to keep that reservoir filled. If not you will have to start over again.
Rustbucket
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

and get speed bleeders anyway!!!
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

She already got speed bleeders.
Proving that few want to read the entire long thread, especially when there are 2 or more topics all mixed in...so stuff gets missed.
On the clutch pedal lever, see archives for why that ovaled hole is important. Some will weld it and redrill. Some will get a larger size clevis pin and fill the hole better.
It can and does make a difference to not have any slop in the pedal motion via a ovaled hole.
Linda
Last edited by Linda on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.