clutch and brakes ongoing

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

clutch and brakes ongoing

Post by Lorna c »

the master appears clean . wish I'd taken it out B4 waiting for new . seemed to have oil on the firewall .

question : ** if I push on the rod and plug where the metal line goes in , should it show bubbles ? is this normal or ?
could it be air in the master still ? having it in my hand out of car ..
also the slave is "looking" maybe leaking , how do I check this ? could be oil from the oil dump I had a week ago so idk ..
e-brakes I'll talk about later . look like they should work but they aren't still .so later date on those I guess .

**any ideas on why I'm suddenly not able to engage my clutch? did I let allot of air in and I haven't gotten out ?
oh another question ..
**if I'm pushing the slave from down below I noticed some oil shoot out from up top , I stopped for a minute then forgot about that and pushed it a few more times and nothing came out up top ,. push it a few more times and nothing .. no oil up top . and not enough came out to empty the entire line .only a dribble came out .. . is it still full of air or does it not pump that way? if I push slave with master gone no oil pumps out up top .? normal ? help pls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: clutch and brakes ongoing

Post by Lorna c »

ok so . so far I've
1 . removed both master and slave and checked them for leaks . seem to be working k . took under water and plunged them . no bubbles . so I cleaned both off and put back on after filling inside and removing most or all bubbles inside them.
let the fluid run through it down to slave and closed both off .
now I'm pumping clutch and nothing is happening except micro bubbles filling the reservoir above. I push the slave and same thing sounds almost like it's squirting air into the lines but I can't see anything .. I can't find where it's failing still with no resistance at all in clutch . . sooooo . two steps backwards again today . back to the drawing board ! ugh . hopefully I'll find it soon ... rumbles down :-(

RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by RustBucket »

Just air in the line. Not too hard to correct. Most easily done with two people.
1.Hook a clear hose to the bleed screw of the slave.
2.Make sure master reservoir is full.
3.Open slave bleed1/4 turn or so to just crack open
4.Have helper depress clutch pedal and hold down
5.Close slave bleed screw.
6.Have helper release clutch pedal.
7.Repeat steps 3-6 until no air comes out.
If you loop the clear hose up a little it is easier to see the air coming out.
You can achieve the same thing with gravity and without pumping the pedal, but it takes significantly longer.
Just be sure to keep that reservoir filled. If not you will have to start over again.
Rustbucket
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
bossbob
Site Supporter
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by bossbob »

One of her post, she talked about micro bubbles and poor fittings allowing air back into the system. Until that is corrected it will continue to bring air in on every stroke of the pedal. I think she needs to confirm that her fittings are truly tight and sealed. She say's the m/c works fine on the bench with no micro bubbles but back on the car it collects the bubbles, could also be a bad rubber hose at the slave cylinder, if its old and rotted and letting air back in.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

thanks . I've got the MC out again and slave now too .. I've checked the line again by itself with my vacuum pump bleeder thing to see it is the fittings or even the cylinders and noticed something I've had to battle with on fuel . curved metal lines having crud built up inside . I guess a "barn find" will have these problems that I need to learn . but they were clogged also . I can bleed the line then it would just stop . the top Reservoir would stop draining.. I didn't catch on that it's plugging up until I removed both master and slave and bled it .. anyway the master is definitely fine . my slave I don't know yet . my clutch lines are new but I'll check the tightness on all connections before I assemble back . and check my slave again. I have one on the way just in case . But I noticed something also . when I put back the master , I see what y'all were talking about on adjusting it . it appears to not be pushing the rod all the way in last time .. it wasn't half ingaged like I was looking for (when it was at rest) , but didn't think to look at it getting all the way depressed .. seems logical now but .... so I've adjusted this properly (I hope) and will look closer on reinstall at both .. also it helps if your helper wouldn't be afraid to let you know that they let air in up top while y'all were bleeding it .. ugh.. just say so ,don't not tell me ..haha . my word . ok well I'm understanding this clutch system a little better now so hopefully it won't take a surgeon to fix this now .. it's not that complicated huh .. I'm always waiting for that "thing" that I can't fix making things more complicated then need to be I think . so I've got to stop doing that .. anyway y'all rock and I'll do all this and report back on findings when my new slave comes in . it truly sounds like it's pumping in air when I press the rod on slave . I can hear it . seems to be all tight on the line and bleed valve so I'm hoping it'll be slave . I did see some stupid mistakes on connections up top on the metal line connection that I've fixed and got that bottom screw tight on that leak . (of master ) ... no micro bubbles until I go below and push . that's when allot come up .. allot . then the clutch goes flat again .

my break lines are toast in the back though ( rotting and falling chunks ) not leaking yet but .... . haven't checked the front lines yet on breaks yet .. Soo i take one step forward and and three back due to me not knowing or checking properly .(I've got to stop doing that too ) . thanks for straightening up my thinking and refocussing my brain again ... I'll be back hopefully with good news .

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Heavens Lorna,

Let's just focus on ONE thing at a time.

Clutch first (just for grins)

Clean EVERYTHING thoroughly from clutch master to slave, all lines soft/hard, plus area around slave, such that ANY leaks etc. will be apparent.

1) are there ANY leaks at cylinder (external, or at the firewall)
2) with all lines etc. tightened, are there ANY apparent leaks
3) Is the slave either a) rebuilt, b) new or c) other
4) are there ANY leaks in the hard line? or at the joints?
5) are there any leaks on the flex line to the cylinder?
6) are there any leaks at either the back/front of the slave.
7) is the slave actually functioning (i.e. pushing the throwout bearing carrier) ?
8) when the MC is filled and you press the clutch pedal is there ANY evidence of bubbling back in the cylinder?

There may be other questions that more knowledgeblly people might ask, but let's just start with those.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

cleaned Everything today .
1) no not anymore
2) no
3) new er (one year old )
4) no
5) no newer line (one year) and tight
6) idk still (not reattached back) but there could have been ..
7) no but sometimes on the first couple pushes only if it does . then when I use my hand to push the rod I hear squirt squirt like air is going in , then I go up top and press clutch , flat flat no resistance.. but master will work up top moving the fluid when it's pumped first . after the slave is pushed , no bueno . flat
:-) not the last time I had it on and tighten the bottom screw .. oh and even the last clutch master I noticed was short of depressing the rod fully . the one I switched a year ago . I pulled it to compare and noticed that it was shorter than the adjustment I made to the newer one when it went back in .... did I just mess this up by talking too much ..? haha .
sounds like it's narrowed down to slave !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

question . are the rods supposed to push all the way in and out yes ?

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

The rod is supposed to be long enough so that the clutch pedal is the same height as the brake pedal.
You might be letting air back in at the bleeder, which is why I strongly suggest speed bleeders or the other brands now available.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:21 pm The rod is supposed to be long enough so that the clutch pedal is the same height as the brake pedal.
You might be letting air back in at the bleeder, which is why I strongly suggest speed bleeders or the other brands now available.
Linda
are speed bleeders the pump suction thing ? I'm doing this ,
I put it on
suction it before opening it
making sure it's full up top .
open it . bleed it . close it tight . end .

the length being higher than the break for full stroke of clutch. . I need to bring it down then .. ok

.only micro bubbles show up in the master .this is before and after I adjusted the master .. then filled with air resulting in flat clutch . if I have it bled and push clutch from in the cab , it sometime will catch the slave but mostly not move it bellow. at all . the bleeder is tight bellow when I do this .. is this correct or ?? now I'm waiting for the new slave to show up . I have the new new master in the box still so I can return it if the slave is the only issue . . the master seems to only have bubbles and go flat when I press the slave below by itself .
. so if I'm doing something incorrect like pushing the slave by itself , I'm not sure .. let me know pls . if the slave is ok to push by itself , then it's letting in air there ..I hope .. unless slave comes in early today I'll look at breaks again today .

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

No.Speed bleeders let you pump until you don't see any bubbles in your clear vinyl
tubing over the valve which runs into a jar.
Then you close the bleeder valve. No air can go back in, it is one way only.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:05 pm No.Speed bleeders let you pump until you don't see any bubbles in your clear vinyl
Linda
one way ? that's good to know ! . couldn't get the bleeder up to it well so did it the way u depicted . and I had a helper today so I could watch all moving parts together and check .. made it nicer and faster ..
.adjusted them allot more
. bleed them
. cleaned them .
. tighten up good and tight .
= working ! :-) .. whoOhOo . first time ever (since I've had it ) I've got E brakes ! whoOhOo

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:05 pm No.Speed bleeders let you pump until you don't see any bubbles in your clear vinyl
Linda
pump or vacuum ? suction thing .. yes with pump , clear hose , plastic jar hanging in the middle of the next clear tube that's on the bleeder that I suction - open - close after bubbles go away - and before release clutch or brake if bleeding that way valve .. yes exactly what I meant .. suction thing . haha sorry . pictures are probably needed more ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

wow that didn't make sense . haha sorry .
I'll be able to do that on the clutch .
this bleeder valve is up in a tight space, bending my clear tube not allowing vacuum ..so ..I went old school and had a helper today and got to watch things moving and adjust properly .. that and bleeding them and being clean , they're working for the first time for me .. . . I was talking to my son as I was responding to this ( above txt) I had no idea what I put down and i hit send without thinking . haha it makes no sense to me , how to delete .haha anyway , wanted to clear that up real quick . it sounds odd or something IDK . I'm not drunk texting or anything . :Tosser: :lol: although that at least be an excuse :smt021 :Tosser:

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok today I put back the old slave and master just to be sure sure it was or wasn't a loose something else causing the leak . anyway, master seems to be fine but couldn't test it much because the slave was leaking a bit more than I've seen so .. I stopped now still waiting on
the slave . I could have had it Tuesday if I'd ordered it from AutoZone on Saturday instead of somewhere else . so I wait some more .

breaks are holding fine and e-brake too . yippee . so I'm kinda impatient , so maybe I'll paint my car again . haha . I have a new powder coat I want to try with 3 colors instead of 2 . so it'll go from teal-blue-purple instead of blue - purple . . plus I got break fluid on it with brake cleaner making an interesting mixed messup on the corner panel . :-( haha I have the paint already , just waiting for the right time to paint it again .. like when I'm in the mood to strip the chrome off and tape , sand, and clean , and now spray the fun stuff again . . may take a minute longer to really want to do it .. haha anyway . that's update to date . ttfn