3M Trizact

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mikeb
Site Supporter

3M Trizact

Post by mikeb »

So after practicing on my wife's 68 VW Bug which we purchased a couple of years ago, I decided to repair the sanding scratches and fisheyes left by the guy who did the body and paint work on the car back in 2012. It's a long story... I had previously done the best I could with the paint, but was still really unhappy with the hood - so I redid just the hood using the the trizact system.

It consists of 1500 grit, 3000 grit and 5000 grit sanding/polishing pads. It's very different than sandpaper, but here's the finished hood with absolutely zero compounding or polishing done and no wax applied either. Easy to use even for a novice (like me) with a DA sander/polisher - the pads are not cheap, but they have a fairly long life. And it takes a little patience, but the results are pretty neat. Smooth as silk and with a little polish it will be super reflective. I think I'll have to redo some of the other panels :D

The VW had only been repainted once in its lifetime and had some pretty serious oxidation and surface scratch issues. I wanted to keep the old paint and used the trizact pads to bring it back to life. Looks great with just a coat of Meguiars hi-tech yellow wax applied with a hand pad.

Might be a good option for those that don't want to repaint or just want to put it off for a while.

P1010038.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: 3M Trizact

Post by notoptoy »

Looks really good, it would be nice to see a before picture as well for comparison.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Re: 3M Trizact

Post by 2mAn »

Never heard of the stuff... Im curious now
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96