Numbers matching motor

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Numbers matching motor

Post by notoptoy »

I'll Gladly accept it! We could BBQ at my place, nothing fancy, I have just your standard grill but it works just fine!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

I find this an interesting discussion. I have two early cars, one driver and one being restored. And both original engines are sitting on a pallet. The driver has a metric stroker in it. At some point I will probably sell it and they can have the motor on the pallet.

I am still at odds at what to do on the other car. Put in the original 3 main stroked to 1.8L or put in another metric 2.0L. I have both blocks sitting here. While the car will be restored it will have some minor mods, especially the wiring. I'm eliminating the relays and fuse box out of the engine bay and using an IR alternator. Only other visible change may be the radio. I even have two trunks lids for the car, one with rack and one without. All of it easily reversed.

I watch the Mecum auction sometimes and it's funny to hear the discussions on there about numbers matching and restorations and restomods. The value seems to mostly be about who is bidding and how bad they want it. Sometimes you see a back story about how a car was restored and all the work they had to do. Okay, numbers matching and virtually every thing else replaced or repaired. And then there is the ballyhoo about survivor cars that are untouched.

My car is getting a different body because of rust. If I didn't tell you then you won't know. So really the car is not in a sense a numbers matching car even if I put in the original motor. The replacement body is exactly the same body.

I guess it's all about choice and desire. And the market....
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
68DSU
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by 68DSU »

It all depends on why you want your car. If I want a new car that performs and runs in tip top shape, that is what I can go out and buy. With my car, I want a 1968 Datsun Roadster. That means keeping it as original as possible and practical. New parts, new bits, and even a new engine if really needed but I will accept it as it is in any event.
I guess it is like a marriage. I want the bride to keep the original me but to accept replacement parts when they become necessary.
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Based on the info provided. I've made the decision to move forward to rebuild the numbers motor. I'm going to talk with the builder and come up with a plan to build an engine that will give me optimum performance and reliability. I'm getting older and I'm really enjoying driving my car and don't want to spend more down time switching drive lines. I will keep the motor and trans I'm running now as a back up I hope to never use and to enjoy while the other engine is being built. Hopefully I'll drop off the engine next week and get the process going. Thanks again for all the input.
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD