Today's Progress

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: Today's Progress

Post by Lorna c »

bossbob wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 pm I started the roadster the other day, 1st time since I adjusted the timing and carbs, although I didn't let the engine get completely hot, I noticed it was harder to start and is gutless, my drive way has a slight slope and it wouldn't even entertain getting up the driveway without a running start. It would just choke out and die, absolutely no power.

I know the smog stuff has been removed, I started reading about the smog vs non-smog distributors. I haven't verified what I have, but I would assume I have the smog unit.

From one of my earlier post.
"timing was way off, set at nearly 25* btdc, I set it back to 16* btdc"

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
oh boy not just me then .. I haven't checked how far advanced my distributor is set yet because it needs to advance a touch more but good luck with this . I had the same trouble I think . I'm going unconventional and it seems to be working out . I'm letting the car tell me and then I'll see where it lands but last I checked I was abot 30+° btdc and rumbles loving it . I've moved it a bit since my last check but I had to toss the normal settings and try something new .. there are signs that you've gone too far advanced , it's a fight back feeling when it happened
and pinging is another , but , I don't have either anymore and it's flying up grades now so it's doing something good to it .. oh and that's at a 60dwell . 64 actually .
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
bossbob
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by bossbob »

Hey guy's, been a awhile, been looking at some career change decisions lately that require moving to Calif. Central Coast. Needless to say the roadster has taken a back seat. I haven't been able to work on it since December, and probably won't be able to for another couple months.

However, I went to run the engine last weekend and it wouldn't start, I had just put 5 gallons in it awhile back, and the gas gauge reads empty, so I thought one of my son's robbed me via siphon hose. I put another 5 gallons in it, and still no start, no fuel gauge. Fuel sender was just replaced last summer as well as the VR.

So, when I get a chance, I'll have to trace the fuel lines again, and or the fuel pump. I read that some pumps cannot be rebuilt..... how do I know which one vs what I have on the car. Also, loosing brake fluid out of the front M/C, but not seeing any fluid around the rear cylinders. Brakes/Hydraulics are all new.

I've only been away from it for a couple months, and I'm having Roadster Withdrawals .......

Body work page viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31020
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

You can try blowing back towards the tank in case there is debris, replacing the fuel filter, checking if gas is moving thru fuel pump to the carbs, priming the carbs in case gas got bad or evaporated, spraying carb cleaner up into fuel valves at carbs to unstick them. Just a few ideas. Good luck.
Central Coast will have more Roadsters and not far from Solvang either
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

bossbob wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:46 pm Hey guy's, been a awhile, been looking at some career change decisions lately that require moving to Calif. Central Coast. Needless to say the roadster has taken a back seat. I haven't been able to work on it since December, and probably won't be able to for another couple months.

However, I went to run the engine last weekend and it wouldn't start, I had just put 5 gallons in it awhile back, and the gas gauge reads empty, so I thought one of my son's robbed me via siphon hose. I put another 5 gallons in it, and still no start, no fuel gauge. Fuel sender was just replaced last summer as well as the VR.

So, when I get a chance, I'll have to trace the fuel lines again, and or the fuel pump. I read that some pumps cannot be rebuilt..... how do I know which one vs what I have on the car. Also, loosing brake fluid out of the front M/C, but not seeing any fluid around the rear cylinders. Brakes/Hydraulics are all new.

I've only been away from it for a couple months, and I'm having Roadster Withdrawals .......

Bob, a quick and easy first step is to check your spark plugs for gas. It can eliminate chasing a suspected no gasoline situation when there is another problem.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

If I prime the carbs with some spray, it will fire right up, but of course only last seconds. Gas is fresh. I should be able to tinker with it a bit in 2 weeks.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by greydog »

A few quick things I'd check Bob.
Id pull the feed line to the pump and see if you have gas there or, if not, if you can pull gas thru the feed line.
If you have gas to the pump but not the filter, I'd pull the line to the filter, and by turning the engine over, determine if the pump is pumping.
I'd work my way up the daisy chain until I find out where the problem is, tank to pump, pump to filter, filter to carb feed.
I find that when either of our cars sits a long time (several weeks) it takes quite a bit of cranking to get them to fire.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

bossbob wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:46 pm Hey guy's, been a awhile, been looking at some career change decisions lately that require moving to Calif. Central Coast. Needless to say the roadster has taken a back seat. I haven't been able to work on it since December, and probably won't be able to for another couple months.

central coast ? that's where I am .. sweet .. I know the feeling on the withdrawals .. big time .. I'm down too .. sounds like your master is toast . unless some connection is loose but u can tell where it's coming from if something is loose .. and fuel , I know that one too . u could be clogged in the lines somewhere . if you have a fuel filter that's clear it helps to see if your gas is even trying to fill or a bunch of air bubbles means a leak in lines somewhere .. won't draw it up enough to start car . blow section by section and see if you can find the clog . or shoot a bunch of starter fluid in carbs and see if itll fire and start moving the gas better . at least you know if it's a gas issue if it fires up . my fuel delivery has been such a problem for me I got clear lines so I can track down my air leaks faster .. haha I don't have a fuel issue anymore.. thank goodness but still can't drive it . idler is seized up I just figured out ..

bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

Lorna, What part of Central Coast?
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Pismo / Arroyo Grande , well Santa Maria is where I bought a house . . but it's all 5 minutes apart . where are you looking to work at ? SLO ?

bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

I left the hard top outside in the rain thinking no problem...... I've was packing the roadster full of parts, and went to move the hard top over and found that it is full of water. I can hear the water running around but can't figure how to drain it.

Should I drill a small hole in it and if so where would be the best spot to drill.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Mackn367
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Mackn367 »

Eek sorry Bob. Do you have the tall or short hard top? I only ask bc maybe tall is different than mine.
I have 2 suggestions
1) Drilling a small hole on the back left/right end that meets up with the car. Since the hole is facing down less chance of getting water logged again
2) Drill a slightly bigger hole and when done getting water out plug it up with something... just in case it happens again you now have a drain plug
Nick
1967.5 Roadster 1600
VIN: SPL311-13038
Orange County, CA
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

That's kinda what I was thinking Nick, it's a tall window. 68. Figure, I should leave the holes open so there is a constant way for water to drain.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

Replacing my fuel pump I have a 2 piece arm.

Anyone have info on the 2 piece arm on the fuel pump vs a single piece arm? Good or Bad? The arm that comes down off the diaphragm is slotted where the arm would connect.

Just curious.

I am replacing the fuel pump with Lorna's ideal fuel pump, the 2 piece arm won't work and she was kind enough to send me a 1 piece arm to use. Got it all together, just need to get it on the car this weekend.

Thanks
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I know the smog stuff has been removed, I started reading about the smog vs non-smog distributors. I haven't verified what I have, but I would assume I have the smog unit.
Wondered if you had verified if you had a smog distributor which has different timing settings than the non smog. Can affect running and other things.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

Linda wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:14 pm
Wondered if you had verified if you had a smog distributor which has different timing settings than the non smog. Can affect running and other things.
Linda
Linda, I haven't verified it yet, but it's been running very hot ever since I adjusted the timing. So, when I get the fuel pump on this weekend and hopefully running, I'll take the timing back up and see if it runs cooler and go from there.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe