General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

auggiemize
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

side trim questions

Post by auggiemize »

According to my registration, I have a 69...a few noobie questions..
*1...are side trim pcs L & R side specific?
*2...where is best place to find fasteners for trim (I have none, so I can't take one to Fastenal, etc to find "same as" in stainless)? Anyone have one for a sample to send me, (I'll catch postage/whatever)? Or what vendor has them?
*3...I have a small channel in each rear quarter that the trim sits in; is that correct for 69? I have seen some quarters that are smooth sided..(saw a post about the roll of flex trim that sticks on, and realized that his quarter was flat, and the flex trim wouldn't have an optimum surface to adhere to with my channel..)
Thanks, Dave V. in NC
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: side trim questions

Post by greydog »

Hello from the left side of the country Dave.
You'll find that you can find most answers to questions by searching. It gets easier with practice.
To answer your questions:
1. There are minor differences to the trim from right to left. You'd have to compare closely to see them.
2. JT68, a vendor here makes a very nice stainless trim clip set. The factory ones are steel and prone to rusting so, if you have none, do yourself a favor and buy Jim's. No, you won't find them at Fastenal.
3. The groove in the rear quarter is covered by the trim. Some cars have removed the trim and filled the groove preferring a smooth look (or not wanting the time and expense of making the trim work.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by jrusso07 »

The key difference L to R is the way the door trim meets the front fender. Look at some pic and tou will see the way the angles go. I dont remember without looking
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
Phred58
Vendor-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Phred58 »

There are "left" and "right" sides to the trim; it's the horizontal edge to vertical edge angle that is different (the acute angle - less than 90 degrees for those of you who forgot your math in school from long, long ago) is on top so the "rear top corner" on the front fender and door pieces sweep rearward on both sides. On the rear trim piece, the "front top corner" has the obtuse angle so that the angle on that piece matches the door trim piece rear angle.

And this being Datsun, they have several (at least two that I've seen) different angles (so probably different manufacturers or very loose tolerances when fabbed) on the same piece - for example, if you look at a number of front right trim pieces, you will see different angles on the rear edge.

The easiest way I've found to see all this is to take the three pieces from one side and lay them in a straight line - if all the angles match each other, you're good to go. If not, you have to decide how much it will bother you and go from there.

Feel free to PM me for further explanation if you're interested or feel the need.
68 SRL311-05416
68 SRL311-03507 (currently undergoing restoration)
67.5 SPL311-12278 - big parts off to scrap, small stuff in buckets
www.datsun-roadster-parts.com
auggiemize
Roadster Fanatic

Post by auggiemize »

Thanks folks for the info; and thanks Phred for the excellent verbalization of what is what. Dave V. in NC