General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Cyclewrks
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Flex-Form Group Buy

Post by Cyclewrks »

I am not interested in a kit purchase just the springs.
"Life is not a journey to the grave intent to arrive safely in a pretty, well preserved body-but rather arriving in a broadside skid, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Damn, what a friggin ride!"- Anon
'70 1600
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

not sure how to say this...

the money needed for a complete kit might be a bit out of my budget. Beer budget and wine tastes :(

i know eventually this would be the route i am gonna take. I can maybe buy some parts for now.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Not to put ideas in JT's head, but there could be a basic and premium kits.
Basic - just the flex forms and all the components needed to install.
Premium - Basic plus rear Bilstein's
Premium Plus - Premium plus front Bilstein's!
Buy according to your available budget.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

all good ideas, can do.

I was not planning on making any money on the FF's - just ensuring that the hardware fits correctly and the ride height is reasonable. I think if you buy "as-is" from FF, the hardware isn't direct fit and the ride height is a bit high-as I recall.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I think ride height is "right" for stock Roadsters if you flip their mount (designed that way). You need lowering blocks if you run comp front Springs and want to match that.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Re: Flex-Form Group Bu

Post by JT68 »

Sounds good. When I spoke with FF the other day we decided to spec a “firm street” spring rate and a slightly softer version for those most interested in comfort. A lowering block kit would make height adjustments very easy. All versions would benefit from the huge improvement in reduced unsprung weight.
LT/JT
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I'm definitely in now. And though it may be because I am getting softer in my advanced age, the comfort option sounds pretty nice to me. I never "race" or track mine anyway. Comfort might be a nice cross between spirited driving (often) and cruising (more often). I am most interested in reducing or eliminating the teeth rattling, throw you to the side ride from the back end when I hit small bumps in the road in a corner. I'd call the back end skittish but predictable now. Never gets out of hand, but can get unnerving. People that don't know the Roadster's idiosyncrasies can freak a little when they experience it the first time.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
AC77

Post by AC77 »

Softer seems like the right option for me.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

notoptoy wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 am I'm definitely in now. And though it may be because I am getting softer in my advanced age, the comfort option sounds pretty nice to me. I never "race" or track mine anyway. Comfort might be a nice cross between spirited driving (often) and cruising (more often). I am most interested in reducing or eliminating the teeth rattling, throw you to the side ride from the back end when I hit small bumps in the road in a corner. I'd call the back end skittish but predictable now. Never gets out of hand, but can get unnerving. People that don't know the Roadster's idiosyncrasies can freak a little when they experience it the first time.
Dammit, I hate your rationalization. Don't even have a rolling chassis, and already I'm worried the stock leafs, MY springs, and KYB GR2's are going to be inadequate.
Charliebrown-1-.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

^ Hey, I hate my rationalization too! It means more money.
FYI, I am running, I believe, stock rear leafs and the original Koni shocks now (MY springs and Koni's in front). Was coveting JT's Bilstein's, and almost ready to pull the trigger - then this came up. In a for a penny, in for a pound.....
I bought my Roadster with this set-up in 1992, so that is why I am unsure of the rear leafs - though the ride seems to be lowered in the rear to match the front, I don't have any lowering blocks or anything that I have noticed as being non-stock. I suppose they could be comp rear springs. It does ride rough in the rear, front is actually quite compliant and comfortable - and it doesn't even have the roll bar installed!

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I know you all have heard this from me several times... the Bs are it. Their ability to handle bumps and then to bite without rattling your teeth is significant. The rear will not be jumping around as it does now (why I originally switched to the Koni, which are great shocks but ride harder, before the Bs), and even when you get into some rattlers the car does not get anywhere near as upset. The suspension has some compliance now.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

Yes,

its a bit tough to decide. I dont have any reference points to judge by (nobody has given me a ride in thier roadster yet) let alone a modified one. Im sure ill be happy just being on the road without any sagging problems.

From what I am reading in the message boards, our choice of kyb’s are already way too tall of a shock.. almost 2”-3” too tall compared to the orginal Tokicos resulting in loss of travel. Corvette B’s measure about the same. When you add lowered anything.. its another inch or so lost.

its a choice of wrong sized Kyb’s/Corvette B’s... or really dialed in custom valved shocks. Far and few in between for a casual roadster user.. im not a full addict as of yet.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

zetec311 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:26 pm Yes,

its a bit tough to decide. I dont have any reference points to judge by (nobody has given me a ride in thier roadster yet) let alone a modified one. Im sure ill be happy just being on the road without any sagging problems.

From what I am reading in the message boards, our choice of kyb’s are already way too tall of a shock.. almost 2”-3” too tall compared to the orginal Tokicos resulting in loss of travel. Corvette B’s measure about the same. When you add lowered anything.. its another inch or so lost.

its a choice of wrong sized Kyb’s/Corvette B’s... or really dialed in custom valved shocks. Far and few in between for a casual roadster user.. im not a full addict as of yet.
Specific to your situation, I think if I were you I'd assess the springs you have first. The stock springs are not real bad in terms of handling if they are not shot. One big clue is if one side is noticeably lower than the other... if one side is much lower, well you have your answer.
How much difference is ok? I'd say an inch diff is too much. A 1/2" or less is OK, in between is the gray zone-acceptable to some- intolerable to others. The springs usually don't typically fail symmetrically. You can also take some height measurements to and compare to other roadsters. Center of the rear axle up to the rear fender lip is often a useful measurement.

If your springs are decent, there is no reason to buy FF's unless you are trying to take it to the next level up in terms of handling. If your springs are OK, the Bil's will make a massive improvement overall. If your springs are toast you would want to fix that first, the Bils can't fix that. Would not waste ur money on KYB or vette shocks-wrong direction. I'm also working on some other "in between" options but they certainly will not be as good as the Bil's and are a few months out.

j
LT/JT
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

Thanks for chimming in.. your advice is much appreciated.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

I went by FF this week with some factory springs. We spec'd a "medium" spring which is a slightly lower spring rate (just a wee bit softer) and a "street firm" spring rate for FF. I'll have some of these at my shop next month to double check fit.

This will jive with what has been posted: the "street firm" FF"s will likely ride up at stock ride height, possibly slightly higher as they have built in the past. They will almost certainly require a custom lowering block for car running Mike Young (or lower) springs up front.

The goal for the street "medium" is slightly softer with ride height matching Mike's springs without any lowering blocks-if possible.

We tweaked a couple mounting dimensions from what FF typically uses for improved fit&install. I still l plan to double check them on a complete roadster.

Since these are minor spring rate adjustments, the Bil's are perfect as-is, or can be custom valved as needed.

I'll reach out to a few 311'ers who want to run them//
LT/JT